Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Better Than The Real Thing? Cover Songs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 4:41 pm 
Okay here's another one I just found that is a good example of, if you are going to do a cover, make it your own. So completely different than the original.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 9:09 pm 
Lovely haunting cool.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 6:44 pm 
This is a bit different. The original artists remade their own song, but have a guest vocalist doing most of the singing, Reworked it musically, adding a bit of synths or something, different direction for country.
On the subject of Kacey...I pretty much turned my back on mainstream country music a LONG time ago. I've been aware of her, heard a few songs. Just the last week or so I've listened to a bunch of her stuff. I wasn't giving her nearly enough credit. She's really good. Way too good for country radio, that's for sure. She's more like some of the obscure country/folk singers I like, but somehow got popular. I won't hold it against her.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 8:57 pm 
Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps were the first to record this in 1956:
Here's Gene and the boys doing it live in 1958:
Since then it's been covered by a number of other artists. One of my favorites is this little-known live version recorded in 1972 by Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, live at Sunbury:
Sometimes the internet is full of surprises, like this cover by Tom Jones and Jeff Beck (with a full horn section) from 2003:

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Washakie

Washakie
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 3:43 pm 
Tom wins because he has Jeff Beck with him on guitar. Jeff is one of the top 3 rock guitarists of all time.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 4:18 pm 
^ did you notice he's using a pick on that number?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Washakie

Washakie
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 11:00 am 
As John Lennon said ".....I've got blisters on me fingers".

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Washakie

Washakie
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 5:43 pm 
Ski, I tip my hat to you..... I bet we are the only two who frequent this site that know Jeff Beck usually plays without a pick....much less who Jeff Beck is.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 pm 
Speaking of Jeff Beck.... A band you never heard of called "Moloch" (no relation to the Canaanite child-sacrifice god) recorded this little number written by Don Nix on their eponymous album in 1969:
A couple years later, Freddie King (The Texas Cannonball) recorded it with the assistance of Leon Russell on his album "Getting Ready". This arrangement will sound a bit more familiar:
In 1972, Jeff Beck and Max Middleton put just a bit more energy into it on the "Orange Album" by the Jeff Beck Group:
This live version afforded Middleton an opportunity to show off his improvisational genius. Note Beck is using a pick:
I didn't think anybody would be able to fill the hole left by Jack Bruce until Mr. Beck found Ms. Wilkenfeld. (Not that Mr. Claypool isn't at least on a par level with Bruce when it comes to mastery of the instrument.) Here's an over-the-top-all-the-stops-out cover recorded in 2013. Note no pick:
(* Note; Stratocasters always sound better at full volume *)

Washakie

Washakie
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 10:28 pm 
Where is Peter Green when I need him?......oh yeh... (Oh Well).

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 26, 2020 12:46 pm 
Washakie wrote:
Where is Peter Green when I need him?
RIP Peter Green 1946-2020 Who would have ever imagined that the first recording of this number was done by Jerry Lee Lewis?
Kenny Rogers and the First Edition put a different twist on it and made it a big hit. Maybe the guitar solo by Glen Campbell had something to do with it:
go ahead and laugh, but if it hadn’t been for this song, we’d never have the “Gutterball” sequence from “The Big Lebowski”
There's no shortage of covers by other artists. This acoustic version is pretty good:

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 9:46 am 
The word "psychedelic" didn't become part of the American lexicon until the mid-1960s, and this little gem was one of the earliest tracks of that genre: Written by Willie and Joe Chambers in 1966, the song was first released as a 2 minute and 37 second single that apparently never really got any traction. Unfortunately I am not able to find an online copy of that original release. The song was re-recorded and released as a 3 minute and 5 second single in late 1967, and went to Number 11 on the Billboard charts. A later 4 minute and 45 second version was released in 1968:
The 1967 single was actually an edited version of an 11 minute and 7 second "album version", which was given airplay on what were then referred to as the "FM underground" stations. (Locally that would have been KOL FM.)
Over the years, a number of different artists have covered the song. I found this cover by Joan Jett to be quite good:
And this cover by the Ramones isn't too bad. The girl in the red dress in the front row is worth the price of admission:
Sheryl Crowe and Steve Earle did an interesting cover on David Letterman's "Late Night" with Paul Shaffer and the World's Most Dangerour Band. Mr. Shaffer obviously was having the time of his life on the cowbell:
Much to my surprise, it was covered by none other than Too Slim and the Taildraggers, here it is on this album version from their CD "High Desert Heat":
... and again, Too Slim and the Taildraggers, live at Don O'Dell's Legends:

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 3:53 pm 
Okay, this one the cover is without a doubt a humongous improvement on the original (there are more than 2 recorded versions of this, but after Alison did it, nobody else really needed to bother trying anymore).

Washakie

Washakie
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 10:30 pm 
Bet... no ...know I'm the only one on the site who saw The Chambers Brothers perform Time Has Come live...and additionally, more than once.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 10:33 pm 
Never been a big Willie Nelson fan. This is a really iconic song of his. Cover version that just dropped, by one of my favorite bands. The song takes on a whole new meaning in our current times since nobody can be out touring.