Forum Index > Food & Grub > Best dehydrated trail meals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 10:21 pm 
Mountain House - the dirtier the better. Talkin' chili mac w/ beef type dirty.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 11:45 am 
Did Mary Jane Farms go out of business ? I like their stuff but can't seem to find it anywhere.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
kite

kite
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 2:16 pm 
Slim wrote:
Did Mary Jane Farms go out of business ? I like their stuff but can't seem to find it anywhere.
https://shop.maryjanesfarm.org/Backpacking-Meals

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 2:18 pm 
I'm glad to have discovered this thread. I'll have to try a couple Packit Gourmet meals when I get around to it. My newest discovery has been LeafSide meals. They're whole food plant based dehydrated meals, and easily the best food I've ever had in the add boiling water and wait ten minutes category. Unfortunately the company has taken the tactic of marketing towards busy working adults and the meals are only available through a subscription service, but the ingredients are top notch so you could easily eat them regularly at home. Cost is about $8 per meal, and they're fairly high calorie as well. They don't last 30 years like a freeze dried meal, only about a year but they're amazing. Great option for a vegan or someone who just likes healthy food. https://www.goleafside.com/

Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 9:12 pm 
InFlight wrote:
‘I think,’ said Christopher Robin, ‘that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so we shan’t have so much to carry.’ –A.A. MILNE, Winnie-the-Pooh There are so many variations of meals with a base of minute rice, Idahoan potatoes, pasta, ramen or bread stuffing that it's easy to make your own meals. Add Protein - Precooked Tuna, Salmon, Chicken in foil packets; jerky, nuts, salami, or summer sausage, powdered eggs. Dried Vegetables - Corn, peas, carrots, sun dried tomatoes, Knorr Package, etc. Flavoring - Curry, bouillon, garlic powder, onion flakes, basil, oregano et al. Parmesan Cheese stays good for quite a while. Each night each pre-mixed in a large zip lock. I normally freeze my first nights dinner, to have extra options.
I am 100% with your meal plan here. This summer I made some large batches of dehydrated veggies (peppers, onions, tomatoes, beets, spinach, etc.) and fruit (my most favorite is watermelon). I also made my own beef jerky and salmon jerky. I make up different spice mixes and use parmesan cheese as well. I take nearly everything else you've listed and have a similar plan for the first night out.