Forum Index > Trail Talk > Jake Robinson
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 1:51 pm 
On Saturday September 5th Jake Robinson lost his life in a tragic mountaineering accident near Kololo Peak in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Jake loved the mountains almost as much as he loved his family. He was the youngest climber to complete the Bulger List and held a well deserved reputation as an incredible source of “beta”. He created detailed annotated route maps and descriptions for other climbers, enjoyed spending countless hours poring over maps, analyzing routes and communicating with the pioneers of the Cascades to better understand their history. He always had a peak to climb in mind. He was also a talented engineer, musician, photographer but perhaps more importantly, a loving, and kind person who would always lend a helping hand and possessed a keen intellect. I was privileged to call him my partner, he enriched my life in the hundreds of days we spent together. We climbed in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah and Nevada. He frequently called his parents from summits, barefoot. His family, his friends and I miss him so much already. He will never leave our hearts. It doesn’t seem real that he is not coming back home from the mountain this time. In the mountains, you can honor his memory by planning for your trips, bringing correct equipment, roping up on all glaciers (even those that appear benign), checking your rappel setup, making sure your anchors are solid, and keeping your party’s abilities in mind at all times. If you adventured with Jake and have photos or video of him, please contact me so we can share them with his family. If you have stories of time with Jake, a way that Jake helped you, a conversation, or a way he inspired you. Please share. A way to honor him is forthcoming, although what to do is a challenge with the ban on gatherings. It is very important to his family that the climbing community has an opportunity to celebrate the gift of his life. If you have suggestions appropriate for these covid times, please share them with me or Fletcher Jordan.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 1:52 pm 
At a loss for words, I am so sorry. Jake was an amazing individual. Not one to talk about himself or his accomplishments, I was impressed by his humility. He had a genuine passion for life and wanting to make the world a better place. We talked briefly last year about planning a trip to Azure lake. I was somewhat humbled that he would even entertain logistics that would allow me to tag along. I always appreciated his insights and support when things got rough here. He was the type to reach out and offer encouragement. From one of his recent private messages.
Quote:
I wanted to say that I'm yet another person who finds this site to be an invaluable resource. I've been reading it for at least 10 years and have spent who-knows-how-many hundreds of hours poring over old trip reports. Through this site I have met some of my best friends and planned some really special, meaningful trips that have enriched my life.
Jake will be dearly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with you, family and friends.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 1:57 pm 
Speechless. Sorry we never managed to get out and "compete", Jake. But I'm glad you reached out to me here on the forum and that we got to talking offline. Keep getting out wherever you are.

neek

neek
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 2:33 pm 
Tearing up trying to find the words.

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 2:34 pm 
Darn. Thankful to have spent some time in the mountains with you last year. May your family & friends find peace during this time. RIP Jake.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 2:37 pm 
I am so, so sorry to hear this. I've been reading both of your TRs here for years and they have always been epic and amazing. Jake appeared to have a great love of the mountains and I always enjoyed reading vicariously about his trips into the farther reaches of WA. He was a huge presence on this site and will be sorely missed. Best thoughts to you and all of his family and friends.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 2:42 pm 
Jake will be missed.

Art is an adventure.
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 2:54 pm 
I met Jake in the spring of 2017 and I could tell that we were going to climb a lot of peaks together. We were basically in a relationship that summer, living outside and summiting new mountains everyday. We argued like a married couple and shared a dark and cynical sense of humor. When we started hiking together, I think I was slightly faster than him, but as his enthusiasm for the mountains grew, his quads did too. He quickly became WAY faster than me, and I had to swallow my pride. Id often have one too many beers at a trailhead bivy, and I would dread the sound of his voice when he was telling me its time to start hiking at 3am. Jake and I shared many classic Cascade summits. Bonanza, Redoubt and the Moxes, and Rainier just to name a few. The best trip we ever did together was an overnighter out to Dome and Sinister in May 2018. That kid could slog it out with the best of them. We would text about the mountains constantly, and about girls, and politics, the environment, and who's chasing which peakbagging lists and who's going to finish what list when. Jake was becoming more and more of a Prominence Nerd the last couple seasons; I would often tease him about it and tell him that he was too young for that sh##. Jakes enthusiasm for the mountains was infectious. He had so many friends and so many people who's hearts are broken by his passing. People pass away in the mountains every year but you never think that its going to be one of your own. Jake and I had long talked about climbing Bears Breast Mountain in the ALW. A few weeks ago, we made it happen. It was one of our best trips together and Im so glad that we did it. After the long and dark bike ride back down the closed section of the Middle Fork Road, I impatiently ditched the bike I had borrowed from him next to his car, told him and Selena that I would see them later, and sped off in search of some late night grub. But I wish I would have taken a minute to give him a hug and tell him that I loved him, because that was the last time that I was ever going to see him. I loved Jake and I am really going to miss him.
Jake enjoying some mosquitos for breakfast
Jake enjoying some mosquitos for breakfast
Chimney Rock summit
Chimney Rock summit
Jake and Reed checking some beta on an Olympus car to car
Jake and Reed checking some beta on an Olympus car to car
climbing Dome
climbing Dome
Jake on one of his favorite summits
Jake on one of his favorite summits
one of my favorite pictures of Jake
one of my favorite pictures of Jake
Jake enjoying some boxed wine on the way out from Dome and Sinister
Jake enjoying some boxed wine on the way out from Dome and Sinister
Jake with his favorite rock in Arches NP
Jake with his favorite rock in Arches NP
not sure what summit this is
not sure what summit this is
Jake on the Dark Glacier
Jake on the Dark Glacier
Jake and I on the summit of Dark
Jake and I on the summit of Dark
Redoubt
Redoubt
One of the Mox Peaks
One of the Mox Peaks
Jake eating mayo straight out of the packet in the Chilliwacks
Jake eating mayo straight out of the packet in the Chilliwacks
stoked to have beat my ass up Custer Ridge
stoked to have beat my ass up Custer Ridge
Jake in his element
Jake in his element
climbing Bonanza
climbing Bonanza
Jake on the summit of Cutthroat
Jake on the summit of Cutthroat

pwrobinson
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 2:56 pm 
What terrible news. I didn't know Jake, but recall running into the two of you briefly near Big Jim. From that brief encounter and his contributions on this site it was clear he loved the mountains and was loved by his friends. Sorry for your loss.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 3:00 pm 
Frequent communication with Jake over the last several years enriched my life and buoyed my spirit. After the first few hikes, I was slightly suspicious. Could anyone be that positive and agreeable all the time? The answer is yes. Over a short time I came to realize that Jake was genuine and it was actually my lack of trust which was flawed. The more I got to know him as a genuine good person, the better I liked him. He had a rare enthusiasm for the mountains coupled with a natural ability and drive. Like Fletcher, I knew from early on he would take peakbagging very far. Anyone who spent time with these guys is familiar with their banter. So many times they had me in stitches. In dangerous terrain, you have to trust your partner with your life. The significance of that is hard to explain. Jake lost his life on Saturday. This is a tragic loss, mainly for his family and friends, but also for the PNW peakbagging community. I always believed he had a bright future ahead. More so than most. I will miss his humor. One of our last phone conversation was about safety and hazards. After calling me, he expressed the wish to back off his game a little, and skip some of the more dangerous routes/peaks. I told him I thought that was a good idea. He said that lately he'd been feeling like it was only a matter of time until someone was seriously hurt or killed on the more dangerous peaks. However, the location of the accident would not be considered in that category. Please be respectful of those who are suffering right now, in what you say here. I'll miss you Jake.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 3:10 pm 
Oh no, such sad news. My condolences to all his family and friends. I've enjoyed his TRs and posts for years.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 3:17 pm 
I haven't stopped thinking about Jake since I heard to horrible news. I'm deeply saddened by the loss a such a wonderful person. I hope his parents are able to know how much he meant to many hikers and climbers across several generations. They raised a really good guy! I feel lucky enough to have had many memorable trips with him I'll add some pics later

Eric Eames
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 3:21 pm 
I have started a Google Photos album and would love anyone who has photos to contribute is welcome. Just message me and I'll send you the link!

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 3:41 pm 
Very sorry for your loss!

Distel32

Distel32
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 4:04 pm 
I'm so sorry...