Forum Index > Photography Talk > Camera Recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSun May 17, 2020 10:38 am 
Im looking at getting a new camera. I have been using a Canon PowerShot SX620 HS for years now. It takes decent photos and is adequate in that regard but I have gotten more into making video edits of my trips and the video quality leaves A LOT to be desired. What are some cameras I should look into buying that take nice photos in the alpine but also give me MUCH better video quality?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun May 17, 2020 12:40 pm 
Your existing camera has a 1/2.3 sensor size, and a 25mm-450mm equivalent lens A larger sensor will have less noise, all modern cameras are better than your 1920 x 1080 (30p) video. If you want to stick with a point and shoot, any of these are good options With APS-C sensors Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III (24mm - 72mm) Fujifilm X100V ( 35 mm fixed) With m4/3 sensor Panasonic Lumix DC-LX100 II (24mm - 75 mm) With 1” sensor Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VII ( 24mm-200mm)

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon May 18, 2020 8:42 pm 
I would think a Sony RX100 would suit your purposes nicely. An older model, or a used one would save you some money. It's a great little camera.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue May 19, 2020 6:38 am 
I bought a used Sony RX100m6 last fall for times when I don't feel like bringing my mirrorless setup. I've been very impressed with the image quality. So much that it's become my main camera. I don't take many videos but the few I have turned out very good. Nice and sharp, image stabilization is effective, smooth zoom through the whole range.

pcg

pcg
PostWed May 20, 2020 1:30 pm 
I second the Sony RX100, but offer a word of caution. I'm on my third M6 version. Bought the first one used on eBay for $750. Somehow managed to put a very small dent in the lens cover, which prevented the lens from opening all the way. It was deemed non-repairable by Sony, but they offered me a brand new one with one-year warranty for $375. I bought that and then, acknowledging that I was rough on cameras I bought a three-year accident insurance and extended warranty for $150 when they pushed it to me via email a month later. Two weeks after purchasing the policy I dropped the camera, with lens cover closed, face down from just six inches into fine dusty sand. Despite my best efforts at cleaning, it wouldn't open/close properly. I sent it off to Sony (mid-COVUS shutdown) and they promptly cleaned it and returned it, no charge, in a little over a week after I shipped it. So... it takes amazing pictures (very sharp lens), it fits in the hip belt pocket of my HMG pack, and Sony has great customer support, but... be careful with it. If I had to I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun May 24, 2020 7:15 am 
Yes, I agree it does seem like a fragile camera. Lots of small moving parts crammed into a small body. I always carry my cameras in dedicated pouches attached to the chest strap on my packs. Also gets tucked away inside my pack if it starts raining. I added the adhesive grip to the front and it really makes the camera easier to hold onto. Really should be a part of the camera to begin with.

neek

neek
PostSun May 24, 2020 9:53 am 
The rx100 (first version) was my favorite small camera but mine broke after 5 years (seems to be a problem with the electronics). If I ever run across another broken one I might try swapping some pieces around.

pula58

pula58
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 12:03 pm 
Canon G5X II is a nice alternative to the Sony RX-100 series. Canon has a fully functional touch screen, well organized menu's, and the photos are good. Also, it is easier to hold than the Sony (The Canon has a nice grip). some of my photos using this camera: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4521649 Good luck in your search!

OutOfOffice

OutOfOffice
PostThu Nov 05, 2020 5:10 pm 
I really like my Olympus TG-4 for hiking and climbing trips. Its a fun camera to use and durable. The photo quality is ok but I mainly was looking for the waterproof and breakage peace of mind.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 01, 2021 6:05 pm 
Even though I cant see very well, I m ight pick up one of those Sony Alpha 1.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Apr 02, 2021 9:43 am 
I have a Sony RX100 III. The lens has comparatively little zoom, something like 24 - 85mm optical, but I am primarily doing flower images. It is nothing short of awesome for flowers!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Apr 02, 2021 5:37 pm 
OutOfOffice wrote:
I really like my Olympus TG-4 for hiking and climbing trips. Its a fun camera to use and durable. The photo quality is ok but I mainly was looking for the waterproof and breakage peace of mind.
There’s something to be said for waterproof cameras in the PNW. I keep my camera on a PD capture clip on my backpack strap for quick access. I have several cameras, but my all weather go-to is an older Nikon 1 AW. This was the only Under Water (49 feet) rated exchangeable lens camera ever produced. The higher range Olympus and Fuji’s have a good reputation for better “water resistance”. Many cameras will need to be kept in a dry-bag when it starts raining.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
mike

mike
PostFri Apr 02, 2021 6:21 pm 
InFlight wrote:
There’s something to be said for waterproof cameras in the PNW....
...or anywhere for that matter. My Olympus µ4:3 cameras and lenses are "water resistant" and have been very reliable. But there is one BIG weakness, you still have to keep the water off the lens. e.g.