Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Better Than The Real Thing? Cover Songs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 24, 2020 11:31 pm 
George Gershwin begain composing "Summertime" in December 1933 and completed it three months later, in February of 1934. The original recording was a rehearsal performance, sung by Abbie Mitchell with Gershwin conducting the orchestra and playing the piano:
The song has been covered by dozens and dozens of different artists during the almost 90 years since Gershwin wrote it. Among the more memorable: Billie Holiday recorded it on Vocalian Records, where it reached #12 on the U.S. Charts Billie's accompanied by Bunny Berigan, t / Artie Shaw, cl / Joe Bushkin, p / Dick McDonough, g / Pete Peterson, sb / Cozy Cole, d. Recorded in New York, July 10, 1936:
Nina Simone, "The High Priestess of Soul", recorded it live "At Town Hall", in New York City in 1959:
Arguably one of America's greatest operatic divas of the 20th Century, Leontyne Price recorded it live with the RCA Victor Philharmonic Orchestra - Skitch Henderson, conducting - 1963
Probably one of the better known versions is the studio recording done by Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company, released on the album "Cheap Thrills" in August of 1968:
A similar arrangement was recorded by Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company live at Winterland in April of 1968:
Like movie sequels, a cover's merit is measured by some perceived "improvement" on the original. Mr. J.B. Hutto and the New Hawks certainly managed to do just that here. Recorded live in 1982:
(* If you need a bigger dose of that slide, try "Hawk Squat" (featuring Sunnyland Slim)(Delmark DS 617) up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 6:26 am 
Got one more rendition for you Ski.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 6:35 am 
So apparently this was a big hit in Sweden in the 70s. It looks like all of the members of ABBA were involved, either background vocals or producing. First Aid Kit just recorded versions of it in both Swedish and English.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 09, 2020 12:16 pm 
"Frankie and Johnny" (aka "Frankie and Albert") is about as "Traditional American Song" as "Traditional American Song" gets. Inexplicably, the very first recording was made in London in 1912 by American singer Gene Greene. (Pathé 59106-RA ) notes HERE and HERE The first recording made in America appears to have been made in 1921 by Frank Crumit (Columbia A-3459) HERE Crumit made another recording of it in 1927 (Victor 20715-A) HERE The song has been covered by literally hundreds of different artists. Among the more notable: Mississippi John Hurt recorded it on the "Okeh" label in 1928, with the title of "Frankie". HERE King Oliver recorded a jazzy instrumental version on December 30, 1929. HERE Jimmie Rodgers (the "Singing Brakeman") recorded it in 1929. (Victor 22143) HERE Billy Vest (who accompanied Jimmie Rodgers on tour) recorded it in 1934 on the "Conqueror" label. HERE Ethel Waters recorded it in 1938 (Bluebird B-10038-B) HERE Pearl Bailey recorded it in 1949 (Columbia C1438) HERE Big Bill Broonzy made a recording of it, presumably in 1957. (?) HERE Sam Cooke recorded it in 1963 (RCA Victor 447-0724) HERE Louis Armstrong recorded it. (Released on a compliation album in 1965) HERE Leadbelly (Huddie Ledbetter) recorded it using the alternate title of "Frankie and Albert" (Society SOC 994 released 1965) HERE Taj Mahal recorded it (with background vocals by the Pointer Sisters) in 1973, also using the alternate title "Frankie and Albert". (Columbia KC-32600) (The liner notes erroneously credit authorship to Missippi John Hurt.) HERE Roy Clark and Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown recorded it live on the television show "Hee Haw" in 1979. HERE J.B. Hutto (Master of the Slide Guitar) and the New Hawks recorded it live in Switzerland in 1982. (RockBeat ROC-3292)
and Sara Tidwell (real name Anika Noni Rose. recorded it in 2011 for movie version of "Bag of Bones") HERE * This has been a Johnny Cash, Hank Snow, and Elvis Presley free zone. *

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 09, 2020 4:56 pm 
I wouldn't say Aqualung's cover of a-ha's "Take On Me" (also featured on Grey's Anatomy) is necessarily better than the original, but it adds another dimension and makes you appreciate the lyrics that much more. I'm glad to see a-ha performed the aqualung version in their MTV unplugged session (also featured in Deadpool 2).

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Nov 15, 2020 6:47 pm 
And now for something completely different...At first glance, it might be hard to say any cover could beat the real thing on this one, but damn, this sounds nice in 2020 ! cool.gif Lyrics forward and tech/clarity of recording.
And the original...

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Nov 15, 2020 10:16 pm 
Saw Janis sing it many times long ago and in a land far far away...S.F. Good times, great memories.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 11:47 pm 
I liked the original, but I heard it too many times. The cover is by a band that has a ton of songs on You Tube. They do better on some covers than others, I think they nailed this one.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 11:53 pm 
A lot of the You Tubers do collabs with each other. Here's Audra from First to Eleven with 3 other female vocalists doing a couple of Queen classics.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Dec 02, 2020 12:10 am 
One more. Violet Orlandi was in the Queen covers. She gets compared to Amy Lee (Evanescence) a lot. Here she is covering a song Amy did with the band Seether.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Dec 12, 2020 10:35 am 
Kate Rusby has an angelic voice. She mostly does traditional Celtic songs (I think), but she does some interpretation of more modern pop songs too. She's really been on a kick doing that lately. She's got a recent rendition of The Bangles "Manic Monday." She took this The Cure song in a different direction.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 6:54 pm 
Yet another you tube cover band I've stumbled onto that I'm enjoying.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 7:21 pm 
Some rocked up covers of Ellie Goulding? Why not.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Jan 21, 2021 7:07 pm 
The one we lost, Bill Withers...
And Demi Lovato; I think she nailed it. smile.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Feb 11, 2021 6:38 pm 
A couple very popular pop songs that I don't care for (both have over a billion views on you tube, so obviously somebody likes these songs), with totally rocked up covers that are much better than the original IMO. You throw enough guitar at it you can save pretty much any song. Some guttural screaming might liven it up too. The Billie Eilish song is okay but I don't get why it was such a big hit, the other one is fairly hideous I think.
That Leo guy is fairly legendary for his outros. This one is pretty funny.