Forum Index > Trip Reports > Request: Your favorite Marckworth Forest & area travels
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gwc2u

gwc2u
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:50 pm 
Not suggesting directions to favorite fishing locations :-) but this knowledgeable group might be willing to comment on bike/walk/hike experiences they've had. Seems like the area could provide easy to challenging experiences if one had more knowledge of access points & open Public destinations. Maybe a comment on why your favorite......water features, wildlife, views or other. Thanks in advance for your comments Gwc2u

arthaey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 11:47 pm 
Moss Lake area is nice.

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostThu Mar 02, 2023 9:49 pm 
Bumping this old thread in hopes of getting some new input... I live fairly close to Marckworth and have wanted to check it out for some time. Finally made it out there today. Parked at the end of Stossell Creek Road. We were thwarted when my toddler took a tumble out of the truck and decided there was no hiking to be done. So we piled back in the truck and headed home. I was surprised how bad the road was and that there is a house at the end! Our plan was just to get out and walk and maybe loop up a few logging roads into something interesting if they looked clear. Looking for trip/loop suggestions. Short or long. Happy to go back sans toddler. I see on the topo map that there are a few waterfalls, lakes, and high points. Are any particularly destination worthy?

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 03, 2023 5:52 am 
I've done several outings there and a few that come to mind: Platts Lookout (no views) is a pretty good road hike and toddler friendly. I heard somebody clipped some of the annoying stickers just before the top. Young Love is a decent summit hike with some mild bushwhacking at the end. An old logging road goes to near the top. Drunken Charlie Lake and Mountain are still on my agenda as are a few other bumps. If you get a Campbell Global Rec permit you can connect to other areas for decent bike rides on good roads.

KascadeFlat
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostFri Mar 03, 2023 8:59 pm 
Thank you, RichP! We will do some exploring and report back. Do you happen to know if there is access from the north off Highway 2 or is this where the road becomes Campbell Global territory?

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 03, 2023 9:05 pm 
You can access from FR 62, the same one that goes to Mt Persis, but I believe it does become Campbell Global after a few miles.

KascadeFlat
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Mar 05, 2023 9:45 pm 
Accompanied my daughter and her dog for a nice 6 mile out and back on a road that crossed a salmon spawning creek. Parked at the intersection of Stossel Creek Rd NE and Swan Mill Rd.

I desire medium danger williswall.com

KascadeFlat