Forum Index > Gear Talk > Crampons and hiking boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 4:23 am 
I'm going to choose not to be offended this time as I haven't posted here long enough for you to have any trust in my experience.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 7:23 am 
Hiker Boy, no doubt you are very experienced. But have you tried this type of crampon in flexible-soled shoes? My experiences using them on the glaciers such as the Butterfly, Honeycomb, White River, Blue, Snow Dome, the Ptarmigan Traverse set of about six, Sloan, plus lots of other hard snowfields, duff, logs, and a little rock (they'll wear out quicker), compare favorably with using stiff-soled boots on the volcanos and numerous other outings. I'm sold on the weight, the grip, and the security on my feet. Don't use soft-soled boots for extended slopes steeper than 45 degrees. The Stubai crampons work great on stiff boots too.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 8:31 am 
I haven't because I have always taken stiffer soles on trips which required crampons, however, I may try them on one of my future trips which may involve snow. I still wouldn't trust it on ice.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
RajunCajun

RajunCajun
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 8:38 am 
HB- you'll be surprised at the terrain you can climb in skeakers rolleyes.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Nov 16, 2002 8:21 pm 
Stubai and Grivel
Pro mountain sports sells both the Grivel 10's http://www.promountainsports.com/crampons.shtml and the Stubai ultralights http://www.promountainsports.com/crampons.shtml It seems that several of you have the stubai's and my question is, knowing what you know already, would you still buy them over the grivel 10's? My local REI store sells the Grivel brand so I've had a good chance to check em over but from what I can see, the Stubai's look like they have a better strapping system (the universal speed binding) Any input is welcomed. Thanks.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 16, 2002 10:11 pm 
I've only used the Stubai Ultralights so it's hard to offer an opinion on how they compare to other crampons. My use of them has also been limited (once on Big Snow Mtn and once on Mt Baring). On Big Snow I had a little bit of a problem remembering how to attach them and made sure I re-read the instructions before my next trip. My other concern was snow "balling" beneath the crampons, but I think all crampons suffer this problem to some extent without ball plates. If I had the opportunity to exchange them for something else I don't think I would. So far they've done the job.

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostSun Nov 17, 2002 12:19 am 
Ask Jim Nelson's opinion, since he sells both at that shop.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster