Forum Index > Trip Reports > Buck Mountain from the Elbo Creek Trail (Olympics) 2/6/16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostTue Feb 23, 2016 8:04 pm 
Thank you sneakapeek and meck. Your "culvert blocker" photo tells a tale!

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pliny

Pliny
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 7:01 pm 
1-3-2017 We drove up to the washout on the north side of Rocky Brook Road...also called Buck Mt. Road I see on my topo... today. There was lots of snow. In fact, we almost could have used snowshoes up high towards what we call the pass. It was a sunny day and there were three of us out there enjoying the scenery. Winter is a most beautiful time of year in the Olympic Mountains. It was cold, about 26F during the day and cooling off quickly as the sun set and we got back to the car. A good time was had by all. The washout is still as it has always been and I doubt there are any plans to fix the road there anytime soon. smile.gif

meck

meck
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 9:04 pm 
Hi Pliny, thanks for the update on the road. I visited Buck Mtn a little over a month ago. It had ~18-24" of snow on it at that point (first hit snow bout 0.25 miles after reaching the FSR from the top of the trail); I can only imagine how much more snow was up there now. Those upper FS roads are a pretty nice place to snowshoe and take in the views (I especially like the Dose side looking west up the drainage).

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
WNDR

WNDR
PostThu Feb 04, 2021 7:42 pm 
Does anyone know if the Rocky Brook is still closed due to washout about 5 years ago? The FS road report shows it as open.

meck

meck
PostThu Feb 04, 2021 8:46 pm 
As of a few weeks ago it was open, and even mostly snow free to the 'pass' between Buck and the rest of the ridgeline (the washout was repaired a couple years back). With the recent snow fall, I don't know whether it is currently drivable with a non-4x4 snow capable vehicle.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Pliny

Pliny
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 11:59 am 
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Actually, I now believe the true Buck Mountain is a little west of the towers etc. That is what the SARTOPO shows. In old Google Earth views, a tiny trail appears from the (060) road at about 3646' (47deg. 45.22' by 122 deg') headed west to the summit. I will see if I can attach my annotated topo of the entire area. We are headed out there tomorrow morning.

Bramble_Scramble, reststep