Forum Index > Support & Feedback > How to include images in your posts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 9:07 am 
zephyr wrote:
Could someone please tell me how to do it? When I post the link it appears as a link, not as an image of a gif.
Put "[img]" before the URL, and "[/img]" after (without quotes).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 9:15 am 
neek wrote:
zephyr wrote:
Could someone please tell me how to do it? When I post the link it appears as a link, not as an image of a gif.
Put "[img]" before the URL, and "[/img]" after (without quotes).
Thank you! I'll try it when I get back from running some errands. up.gif ~z

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 4:46 pm 
neek wrote:
Put "[img]" before the URL, and...
Yes! I got it to work. Thanks a lot. Note: I just posted this gif in the Saloon. It seems to run continuously. Not sure if this can be fixed or not--or if it's a problem. ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 4:55 pm 
On the posting screen, click the Img button, then paste the link to the image.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 6:24 pm 
. Thanks, that's what I ended up doing following Neek's advice. Thank you. ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 21, 2021 10:14 pm 
A few flickr changes. Going forward flickr captions will now automatically be inserted with the image when using the "Pics" button to insert images. Historically we grabbed captions from flickr on the fly, allowing you to edit captions at flickr and synchronize them here by simply resubmitting the post. A disadvantage of this approach is captions are not stored in the post. By explicitly including them in posts going forward, search results will be improved. By default, the caption inserted will be the flickr description. If the description is blank (or too long) the flickr title will be used (unless it appears to be a date or filename). You can select another option in the drop down that appears to the top right of the screen when inserting images:
  • Blank caption
  • title (ignore description)
  • description (ignore title)
  • title* (if blank use description)
  • description* (if blank use title)
As always you can add your own caption by including =some description immediately after or below the image. If you remove the = sign the text after the image is assumed not to be a caption and we will grab the caption from flickr, as before.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Feb 21, 2021 10:56 pm 
I have found errors or typos in my Flickr captions after posting TRs. If I fix them on Flickr how do I get them picked up by nwhikers?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 21, 2021 11:21 pm 
You would need to edit the caption inserted here. If you prefer, you can force it to use the old functionality. Basically if you remove the = sign in your post it will grab captions from flickr after you submit (as before) when the post is first viewed. The = sign tells it to use the caption in the post rather than grab it from flickr. Keep in mind we would still only grab captions from flickr once after you submit or edit your post, so if you make changes at flickr you'd still need to re-submit the corresponding post here. It only saves you from making the dual edits. Do you find the old functionality preferable? If so I can add an option in the drop down to grab from flickr after you submit. One upside of inserting them in the post is you see the caption before you submit, so you might find the typos when posting rather than after the fact.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Feb 22, 2021 11:40 am 
No need to make any changes. I'll see how it works. I think that last thing you said might help.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 22, 2021 2:29 pm 
I've also rewritten the smugmug code to have similar goodness as flickr. If you are a smugmug user, enter yourusername.smugmug.com (or yourusername smugmug) in the pics box and click the pics button. It will display an infinite scroll of your most recent photos as well as a drop down to select photos from your 100 most recent albums. Next up: drag & drop, browse, paste, etc. image uploads (for those without a photo host or when you just want to post a quick photo without additional steps)

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Feb 24, 2021 12:09 am 
Tom, thanks for all the work you do to make improvements to the "clubhouse". up.gif up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 4:44 pm 
Tom, I just posted some photos for the first time since the caption change. I like this way of doing it much better. I didn't understand before from the description. Great work!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 7:03 pm 
Thanks, good to hear. Over time I did note a lot of people disabling the flickr captions in their posts or entering them manually. Others might repurpose the title at flickr for use as abum names or file names so didn't make sense to insert them here as captions when the flickr description was blank. I figured it was just more user-friendly to let the user choose what flickr caption to grab and remove some of the mystery as to what flickr caption would be displayed with the image, if any.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Apr 13, 2022 3:30 pm 
The nwhikers site is not recognizing my flickr login. It says it can't find the username but the username never changed.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 13, 2022 5:15 pm 
Did you recently change your privacy settings? The flickr API is saying your username doesn't exist, most likely due to that. You can test it here (leave API key blank): https://www.flickr.com/services/api/explore/flickr.people.findByUsername In any case, just copy the "user ID" that shows up to the right under "Useful Values" in that link and enter it here (instead of your username). It will go a little faster since we can skip that step when requesting your pictures and it may play nicer with some privacy settings.