Forum Index > Food & Grub > Shakshuka
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 31, 2020 9:36 pm 
Shakshuka ( pronounced “ shock SHOE kah “ ) Origins remain in question: could be from Morocco, Yemen, Tunisia, or other points. Clearly of middle-eastern or north African origin, at any rate. Mentioned to me by a guy in Brisbane. Sounds interesting. Every had this? Ever cooked it? Comments? Suggestions? Shakshuka https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/shakshuka/ 1 tbsp olive oil 1/2 onion, peeled and diced 1 clove garlic, minced 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped 4 cups ripe diced tomatoes, or 2 cans (14 oz. each) diced tomatoes 2 tbsp tomato paste 1 tsp mild chili powder 1 tsp cumin 1 tsp paprika Pinch of cayenne pepper, or more to taste (careful, it's spicy!) Pinch of sugar (optional, to taste - omit for low carb) Salt and pepper, to taste 6 eggs 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley (optional, for garnish) Heat a deep, large skillet or sauté pan on medium. Slowly warm olive oil in the pan. Add chopped onion, sauté for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add garlic and continue to sauté till mixture is fragrant. Add the diced bell pepper, sauté for 5-7 minutes over medium until softened. Add tomatoes and tomato paste to pan, stir until blended. Add spices and sugar, stir, and allow mixture to simmer over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until it starts to reduce. At this point, you can taste the mixture and spice it according to your preferences. Add salt and pepper to taste, more sugar for a sweeter sauce, or more cayenne pepper for a spicier shakshuka (be careful with the cayenne... it is extremely spicy!). Crack the eggs, one at a time, directly over the tomato mixture, making sure to space them evenly over the sauce. I usually place 5 eggs around the outer edge and 1 in the center. The eggs will cook "over easy" style on top of the tomato sauce. Cover the pan. Allow mixture to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked and the sauce has slightly reduced. Keep an eye on the skillet to make sure that the sauce doesn't reduce too much, which can lead to burning. Some people prefer their shakshuka eggs more runny. If this is your preference, let the sauce reduce for a few minutes before cracking the eggs on top-- then, cover the pan and cook the eggs to taste. Garnish with the chopped parsley, if desired. Nutrition Facts Shakshuka Amount Per Serving Calories 129Calories from Fat 63 % Daily Value* Fat 7g11% Saturated Fat 1g6% Cholesterol 163mg54% Sodium 343mg15% Potassium 494mg14% Carbohydrates 10g3% Fiber 2g8% Sugar 5g6% Protein 7g14% Vitamin A 1475IU30% Vitamin C 42.7mg52% Calcium 81mg8% Iron 3mg17% * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 31, 2020 9:45 pm 
I've had Shakshuka in Israel, it is a standard item in the massive breakfast bars that are feature of Israeli tourist hotels. As a lazy American, I can make a facsimile of it by dumping a jar of spaghetti sauce into a slow cooker and then cracking a dozen eggs one by one into the sauce and letting it simmer. It's great for hosting a brunch -- in the before times anyway.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 5:51 pm 
It is a Mediterranean dish, found throughout the entire region. I have made it from scratch and also quick-n-easy like Randito. I either make a big batch of the sauce from scratch and freeze what I don't use or use various packaged tomato sauces. I also just make enough for me. By that I use a sauce in a small frying pan and poach two or three eggs in it, depending on how hungry I am. I really like it. Rumi EDIT: I often use Tasty Bites Madras Lentils for my sauce. It's close enough to work.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 6:09 pm 
Except for the eggs and the lack of cilantro, the ingredients sound similar to what a friend used to stir up when he worked at "Mighty Taco", plus beef.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 9:56 pm 
Like any recipe such as this one, there are countless versions. Some vary from the basic recipe more than others. Some go by a different name. If you google it or do a search on youtube, you will be overwhelmed by the amount of results for the search. Of course tomatoes were introduced to the old world during the Columbian exchange, so it's amazing, at least to me, the number of variations on the theme found throughout the Mediterranean. I do highly recommend following a good recipe the first time, using fresh ingredients rather than the canned stuff. Take the time to properly cook down the sauce. After that you can go with the short cut versions. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 6:56 pm 
I love Shakshuka! Had it in Israel and it tends to be pretty spicy. I start mine with frying up some onions, then add stewed tomatoes (either fresh or canned), pace picante sauce, oregano, garlic, some chili powder, then let is cook for a while. One trick I learned is turn the entire batch down to NOT boiling before you add the eggs, then turn it up again-- keeps the eggs together. Let the eggs cook slowly, ladleing some sauce over the top of the eggs to make sure they cook through. Enjoy!

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 12:15 am 
Here's a couple videos of the cooking process. They use slightly different recipes.
If I cook this up from fresh ingredients I make a big batch and freeze the sauce in individual portions for later. Rumi

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostMon Mar 01, 2021 6:47 pm 
Rumi, thanks for the tip on the tasty bites lentils shortcut! Makes an excellent Coleman stove dinner.