Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Record Breaking RV Sales
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm 
My wife and I decided to upgrade from our little ALiner to something slightly larger that offers a little more comfort and we decided on an Escape 5th-wheel made up in Chilliwack. We were shocked to get the news after making our deposit that the expected delivery date is July 2023. Checking some of the other manufacturers, it's the same across the industry. B.C. travel trailer company sees explosive growth during pandemic RV Shipments Projected To Reach Record High in 2021
Quote:
“A year ago when RV plants shut down for nearly two months, who would have thought we would be talking about record-breaking shipments less than a year later,” said Jeff Rutherford, President & CEO of Airxcel, Inc. and RV Industry Association Chairman.
Now I wonder if there are going to be any campsites available to go to.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 03, 2021 5:11 pm 
Delivery dates for 4 wheel campers are now 18 mo. Got an email from Ford dealer wanting to buy back our our F150 supposedly a shortage of chips from Taiwan is holding up production.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 03, 2021 6:32 pm 
The RV industry is an interesting one. I did some research before buying a RV several years ago and found lots of horror stories. E.g. People buy new $200K rig and almost immediately start having problems -- no worries repairs are covered by the warrantee -- but there is an 8 month backlog for repairs. An example problem was a cold water supply pipe in a bathroom sink leaking at an improperly assembled joint -- tiny leak - drip drip drip -- too small to notice -- until the RV is two years old and the floor is rotting. I ended up buying a "vintage" RV and doing an "This old RV" type restoration project on it. I now know exactly how every system in the rig works -- so I know how to fix things. If I were to count the value of my time -- this was not cost effective -- but it was an interesting project. One issue with "vintage" RVs is that many "RV Resorts" have "age restrictions" -- i.e. they wont let RV's older than 10 years old use the park. I found having a "vintage" RV to be an advantage while I was in Baja however -- I had no issues with banditos and was only shaken down by the municipal police once during two months south of the border. Drivers of facier rigs ended up paying a lot more "special fees" than we did.
San Ignacio Lagoon
Playa La Perla

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 03, 2021 6:49 pm 
Hoh rainforest, WA coast, Redwoods of CA. A place to park is all I need.
Ocean Shores, WA
Ocean Shores, WA

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon May 03, 2021 7:03 pm 
Randito wrote:
I ended up buying a "vintage" RV and doing an "This old RV" type restoration project on it.
That's the first idea I had but the used market is even worse right now than buying new

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 03, 2021 7:06 pm 
We love ours it makes winter camping in Washington fun and easy especially with WA State Park senior Pass. Maybe if COVID subsides we will think different. So nice to hang out inside when pouring but dash out for a hike when the rain stops. Taking a shower after a day of hiking in the desert is also pretty sweet.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 03, 2021 7:34 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
WA State Park senior Pass.
Yeah -- that's a pretty sweet deal -- so is geezer camping in USFS and NPS campgrounds 50% off the usual price. There is a lot of BLM land where you can boondock for free. iOverlander is a useful way to find various boondocking spots.

Waterman

Waterman
PostTue May 04, 2021 5:50 am 
After a night in Glacier NP with bear activity we bought a R-pod. Sleep much better.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 04, 2021 9:08 am 
Waterman wrote:
After a night in Glacier NP with bear activity we bought a R-pod. Sleep much better.

Waterman

Waterman
PostTue May 04, 2021 9:37 am 
Haven't used ioverlander yet. Hipcamp is what we use, private property owners who allow camping. On our upcoming trip we will be staying on a river outside of Yellowstone on a working ranch. 2 nights inside the park in a cabin. All arranged at the last minute. Reservations for Yellowstone 2022 open June 1st.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
kite

kite
PostTue May 04, 2021 2:48 pm 
I converted a 2016 crew van into a fancy tent, really love it.

JPH

JPH
PostTue May 04, 2021 4:31 pm 
It'll be interesting to see the used market in 5 years or so for all the things that are super hot right now (RVs, bikes, kayaks, etc).

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 04, 2021 4:55 pm 
JPH wrote:
It'll be interesting to see the used market in 5 years or so for all the things that are super hot right now (RVs, bikes, kayaks, etc).
In general, many of those things are purchased full price , used for a while, then collect dust until the buyer needs cash for something else or their kids are stuck selling it after moving their parents to assisted living. Bikes and kayaks degrade little, other than tires and tunes. RVs are more problematic, especially if the roof leaks.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 04, 2021 5:13 pm 
Make hay while the sun shines for tomorrow we die, or as the greatest social philosopher of our day said, “Get it while you can” JJ. People buy these to use them not as an investment, least we do. cool.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue May 04, 2021 6:01 pm 
This is what I'm looking at