Forum Index > Support & Feedback > You can now upload images directly to NWH!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 25, 2021 11:52 pm 
Just a heads up you no longer need to use flickr or an image hosting service to display images in your posts. Just click on the paperclip icon (in the row above where you post a message) and select the image(s) you want to include in your post. Alternatively, you can drag/drop images into your post (or paste them if your browser supports it). There is NO need to resize your originals. Images will be resized to 2048 pixels (or 1080 tall if a panorama) before uploading to make uploads MUCH faster. Not to worry, we are using "best in class" tools to resize/sharpen in browser (the original on your computer or phone won't be modified in any way). There is also an option on the posting screen to upload original sizes (please use sparingly, intended for maps only). The selected image(s) will be inserted at the cursor in your post as follows: [img]uploadID ⏱️[❌]=add an optional caption The ⏱️ will transition to moon phases 🌚🌘🌗🌖🌕 indicating the progress of the upload. Click on the ❌ to cancel the upload. After the image has been uploaded the ❌ will disappear and you can move the image(s) anywhere in your post. To delete an uploaded image, just remove it from your post. Any uploaded images not included in a post (or PM) will be deleted from our servers after a certain time period. Currently only image uploads are enabled but the plan is to eventually allow for attaching other file types, such as gps tracks.
Test upload, hopefully it works  :doh: :paranoid: :hockeygrin:
Test upload, hopefully it works doh.gif paranoid.gif hockeygrin.gif

gb, Cyclopath, Nancyann
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 26, 2021 12:33 am 
Also, just a word of warning to anyone else using firefox. Disable color management! Until I started working on this project, I never realized the images I had been uploading to FB and elsewhere on the web with firefox using copy/paste was shifting the color of my images due to this nasty long standing bug. Any resizing we do in browser before upload is also affected by this bug if you are using firefox. Disabling firefox's "color management" fixed the issue for me.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed May 26, 2021 10:09 am 
back yard 04/20/21
back yard 04/20/21
no kiddin? very cool. so the image posted will not show the filename? we have to... add that below? okay... now we have a caption... (?) got it... okay very cool. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 26, 2021 10:55 am 
Thanks! I have sent several private messages where I wanted to include a map but didn’t want that map to show on Flickr. Backdoor routes to beach hikes, for example. Now there is a way, yay! Since I have Flickr I will keep using it for public photos.

reststep

reststep
PostWed May 26, 2021 11:39 am 
Gray Wolf, Baldy, Tyler
Gray Wolf, Baldy, Tyler
Very cool, thanks Tom.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 26, 2021 1:25 pm 
Also, all of the old attachments (circa 2001-2005) have been converted to the new system. If you look at some very old posts from ~15 years ago you'll see the attached images with bigger thumbnails now opening in the lightbox. For example the first image in the name that lake thread.
Ski wrote:
so the image posted will not show the filename? we have to... add that below?
Correct. More often than not the filename isn't going to make for a good caption, particularly with mobile uploads. The filename is primarily there for informational purposes, for example, you uploaded several images and want to identify them by the filename, the filenames are there for reference in the post. Edit: filename is no longer added to eliminate confusion.

contour5

contour5
PostWed May 26, 2021 2:06 pm 
Awesome!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 26, 2021 3:14 pm 
neek

neek
PostWed May 26, 2021 3:17 pm 
I hope people appreciate the effort required to implement this new feature! Didn't realize you could do browser scaling pre-upload. Neat. But does that result in further quality loss when you re-encode server side (assuming you are doing that)? Also does the weird color thing only apply to PNGs?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 26, 2021 3:41 pm 
Yes, it went from a simple project to a 4 month exercise. I almost gave up on resizing in browser but developed workarounds to produce acceptable results. The javascript utility we use to resize / sharpen (pica) uses lanczos3 resampling which is as good as or better than what's in Photoshop. I also worked with the developer of that library to improve their USM code so that it sharpens only the brightness channel, again, better than anything Photoshop does (even superior to sharpening the LAB lightness channel in Photoshop based on my tests). The other issue I ran into was that browsers compress JPEG differently (and somewhat destructively due to chroma sub-sampling). In firefox it's destructive unless you save at quality 90+. In chrome and safari it's destructive unless you save at quality 100! The latter results in HUGE file sizes and negates most of the savings from resize. The solution was to ditch the native browser encoding in favor of a javascript library (petitoJPEG). After resizing / sharpening with Pica we save at quality 92 with petitoJPEG (which is visually losssless without excessive file size) then re-compress on the server with mozjpeg 80. Mozjpeg is pretty much the gold standard for compressing images for the web and quality 80 is the threshold for 2x1 choroma sub-sampling (below 80 is more aggressive chroma sub-sampling).
neek wrote:
Also does the weird color thing only apply to PNGs?
If you're referring to the firefox "color management" glitch, it applies to anything firefox touches. I don't think mozilla understands or appreciates the extent of the problem. They seem to think it has to with the color space embedded in the original image, but it's really their "color management" that is FUBAR! If you cut and paste an image into the browser what's really going on is the browser is taking a bitmap from your clipboard and converting it to a PNG in browser. Before I disabled firefox "color management" this would result in color shift in the PNG displayed by the browser. TLDR: If you are using firefox, just disable color management if your images appear off

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed May 26, 2021 4:14 pm 
Tom wrote:
"...all of the old attachments (circa 2001-2005) have been converted to the new system..."
If I am understanding that part of your post correctly, I no longer need to retain those images I have already uploaded to my flickr.com page and posted here? I have hundreds (if not thousands) of photos that would have been (or could be) posted here that were/are not simply because I've had to use a great deal of restraint uploading images to flickr.com to stay within their "1000 pictures" limit. There is no way I am PAYING them for a membership - that's simply not going to happen. You'll note that I have posted few trip reports over the last couple of years. One of the reasons was because my "flickr.com" accounts are pretty much at their limits for freebie accounts. My friend finally was able to extract the sound files and photo images out of my old (and long dead) computer, and there are photo images in there going back quite a ways. Is it okay to upload those images here now? Some are from what could reasonably considered "trip reports" and some are old archival images that belong in the "history" forum. And... last question: If I do not need to upload the images to flickr.com first in order to post them here, my deleting those images which have already been uploaded to flickr.com won't have any effect on this website? The "techie" stuff you've noted is all well above my pay grade, Tom. Glad that you are well-versed in such things, particularly if it makes the process easier here. wink.gif BK

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostWed May 26, 2021 4:22 pm 
Even more involved than I realized. Thanks! Good to know about the recompression thing. So even though it's lossy, the audio tape analogy isn't perfect. Hope the color thing doesn't hose anyone too bad; there are otherwise good reasons to use Firefox. I'll continue putting stuff in S3 (it's essentially my backup), but I know a lot of folks will benefit from this.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 26, 2021 4:25 pm 
neek, yes, I much prefer firefox. Seems most folks use chrome these days but firefox just scrolls so much smoother for me (main reason I've stuck with it). Ski, we have close to a million images posted to NWH over the last 20 years. When flickr pulled their ransomware stunt a few years ago (pay or we'll delete your images) we invested in a server to cache all flickr images posted to NWH (the size that displays in the lightbox). This eventually was expanded to include all images, so yes, you can delete flickr (or any other) images if you want. The only benefit of keeping them is if you want to provide larger sizes than we cache in the lightbox.
Ski wrote:
old (and long dead) computer <snip> Is it okay to upload those images here now?
Yes and no. It's ok to upload them here as long as it serves a valid purpose here. We're not a photo backup service though. If you want to back up your photos on the web you can always upload them to flickr, google photos, etc. and pay for the service. While our hosting plan offers "unlimited" storage on nwhikers.org (the photo server), "unlimited" only goes so far until it is deemed "abusive" by the provider, hopefully that day never comes.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed May 26, 2021 4:30 pm 
Heceda Head LH
Heceda Head LH
Thanks Tom! borank.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed May 26, 2021 5:09 pm 
Tom wrote:
The only benefit of keeping them is if you want to provide larger sizes than we cache in the lightbox.
No... the sizes as they appear here on the site are fine. The reason I asked about deleting them from flickr.com is that I have found my photos lifted and posted on other websites.
Tom wrote:
It's ok to upload them here as long as it serves a valid purpose here. We're not a photo backup service though.
As I had already assumed. Thanks. BK