Forum Index > Trip Reports > Three Fools Trail Logout, June 10-16, 2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed Jun 23, 2021 7:44 am 
Thank you for all of the hard work! I was up in Elbow Basin in August 2019 and appreciated all of the original logout work. Love this trail.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Jun 30, 2021 9:07 pm 
KarlK wrote:
(I'll interject a comment here to note that volunteer trail crew members often donate considerable money and not just time and effort to doing trail work -- I sometimes wonder about starting a non-profit to solicit money for such things as chainsaw chains, fuel mix and even food and gas money for volunteer sawyers. I've spent hundreds this year alone on volunteer sawyer-related expenses).
Great idea. You could call it SAWW (subsidize affluent working-class wannabes).

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 12:43 am 
Thank you for working on the Three Fools trail. I remember it being covered with hundreds of logs, but it accesses some fine high country, so it's great that you worked on it.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 2:36 pm 
Thank you for your great work! I remember hiking in 2007 from Canada on the 15-mile trail to Hozomeen Lake, Willow Lake, Deerlick, Nightmare to Lightning creek as a preamble to a hike up to Desolation, the following day. On our way to Lightning, we took a gander at the 3F trail. It had some downfall already, back then, yet looked so inviting to explore new (for us) destinations. We demurred that time, but it’s been on my list ever since. Thank you for opening that path, and I look forward to N update if you hear back from the NOLS folks. Also, “That trail, part of a 10 day trip from Hart's Pass to Ross Lake/Highway 20, was one of the best backpacks of my life” holy cow, no kidding!! I can just imagine a multiday adventure on that route.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 2:52 pm 
KarlK wrote:
I suspect that the trail is in fairly good shape from our high point to the ridge above Freezeout lake
The whole trail was in fine shape although a bit hard to find in places across the high meadows due to very light use. However, this was in August 1992 on a light and fast two-day from Harts Pass to Castle Pass then west to Hozomeen CG. So much has changed in the Pasayten since then that nearly all of those 3 decade- old reports are next to useless now.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Jul 06, 2021 3:29 pm 
Y'all, please put me on the contact list for the next party. Egads! I NEED to saw!

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Sultan Guy

Sultan Guy
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 5:20 pm 
Nice job guys! Came down from Castle Pass last week while doing some peak bagging. Can confirm the trail is clear from tree line down to Three Fools Creek. If you are feeling up to a bigger challenge there is plenty of blowdown in the Big Face Creek valley... THANKS!!

Any worthwhile expedition can be planned on the back of an envelope- H. W. Tilman
James Kyle

James Kyle
PostTue Mar 07, 2023 3:34 pm 
This team did an amazing job! I do this trail once a year as an annual trip with buddies and for years that lower section before and after fish camp was absolutely horrible. In ‘21 I was on this section of trail after all of their hard work and couldn’t have been more pleasantly surprised to see it clear all the way to alpines, beyond impressive from this crew. NOW as everyone knows ‘22 had the three fools fire that went through the entire uphill section from fish to the ridge above elbow. Super bummed about that fire as I am sure the trail is destroyed. This is an amazing hike going into elbow and big face, what are the chances of this crew cleaning up the trail after the fire? I would say I would volunteer but with the new baby I don’t see myself able to be out for 8 days this summer. I would sponsor the crew the best I can financially if they are planning to get out there again in 23. Thank you for all your work! It is very appreciated!

KarlK

KarlK
PostTue Mar 07, 2023 4:58 pm 
James -- I'm figuring on scouting the 3F trail with one or more of the usual suspects when conditions permit. I suspect it's a mess. Enjoy the new baby; things rocket by blazingly fast. Mine's a sophmore at Western whereaas just yesterday (it seems) I was telling the kid silly made up stories in the middle of the night in a vain attempt to encourage the transition to sleep.

Karl J Kaiyala

James Kyle
James Kyle

James Kyle
PostThu Mar 09, 2023 3:18 pm 
Karl that's awesome! Let me know the update after you get back there. If it is not impassable I am likely to try and do a loop through there later in the summer with friends. If your crew does plan to clear out something up 3FT this year let me know if I can help with taxi, fuel and some tools. Would love to help, I just love that place so much!

Luc

Luc
PostThu Mar 09, 2023 10:15 pm 
Am I taking crazy pills or is this the western portion of the Boundary Trail #533? I've done the boundary trail several times and exited south because of the trail conditions down to the lake. If this is what I think it is, I second James' appreciation. Am I off on this? Did y'all clear it (before the recent fire) from little fish up to the ~4500ft mark? If so, this is now way back to the top of my list.

GNGSTR
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostMon Mar 13, 2023 8:27 am 
Wow, wow..amazing work AND what a worthwhile endeavor. I feel so lucky that a friend and I were able to do the boundary trail from Iron gate in the east to going out the east Bank trail to rt 20. It was a magical and beautiful trip. Back then the trail was, for the most part in great shape. So much intense beauty. Parts were more challenging than others as was the weather at times..(snow in August). So, thank you all for the work. Amazing to see how rough of shape the trail is now. Thank you!

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
KarlK

KarlK
PostWed Mar 15, 2023 8:22 pm 
Hey Luc -- yup it's part of the boundary trail.

Karl J Kaiyala
Luc

Luc
PostWed Mar 15, 2023 8:29 pm 
KarlK wrote:
Hey Luc -- yup it's part of the boundary trail.
Kudos! Part of me wants this thread deleted, but the trail needs to see some use for it not to fall into such a state that it had.

GNGSTR
James Kyle

James Kyle
PostThu Apr 13, 2023 1:29 pm 
I agree go ahead and delete it.