Forum Index > Photography Talk > Recommendation for portable/solar charger Iphone 12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 7:56 am 
Anyone recommend a solar charger or portable charger for an Iphone 12 promax. Planning on leaving the camera at home and just using the Iphone for pics on a multi-day trip. Thanks for any info Hopefully someone has bought and had experience with pros/cons on brand/models

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bk

bk
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 8:12 am 
This has worked well (no complaints): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012YUJJM8/ . . . . mine was bought in 2017. Maybe it's old tech now? It is still for sale. Notably great, also, is a long cord (like 10' or 16') for sitting in the shade while the charger is in the sun.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 8:18 am 
IME solar chargers aren't particularly useful, external battery packs are more useful. A solar panel + external battery pack could be useful if your itinerary includes base camping days where the panel can be oriented towards the midday sun and left charging the external battery pack while you are day hiking.

bk

bk
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 8:29 am 
Yea, my example was base camping for many days . . . . . . . with an external power pack . . . plus the solar charger (noted above). The external power pack was good for night. The solar charger would recharge the external pack in the day. Then the phone would run off the solar charger for the rest of the day. (In my case, actually two external power packs, for redundancy....and lack of trust of such devices...and for using a lot of power) My external power pack (x2) was/is: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16875937145

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 9:48 am 
My experience is with extended thru hikes I.e. PCT sections, JMT, etc. spoke with many hikers there solar was impractical as you were hiking during day and sun was not on you back, in woods, or sheltering.10,000 mor battery pack worked well for 20 + days. Phone used for camera and GPS off most of the time or airplane mode. Anker is a good brand. Solar works great on camper with large collectors and golf cart batteries.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 7:15 pm 
Typically cell phone batteries are around 3200 mAmp*Hour. So a simple 10,000 mAH battery pack will recharge your phone three times. My Anker 10k weights 6.5 ounces. Remember to turn off WiFi and Bluetooth to save runtime.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 7:49 pm 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMFGGNR?psc=1 I use this. Charges fully in about 24 hours of direct sunlight. Charges my Pixel 3 XL about 5.5 times. It's old though and doesn't support quick charging or USB-C so there are probably better options out there now. EDIT: Since Amazon is down here are some links to reviews of the product as well:

fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 10:05 pm 
Thanks for all the great recommendations, I appreciate it. I still need to read them all here as i just glanced so far. The Iphone 12 pro max power cord adaptor that came with my phone is a 20 watt i believe, which is twice the charging power for quick charging. Anyone using any portable chargers use with the iphone 12? May take extra charging time?

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jul 12, 2021 2:30 pm 
Your Battery is a 3687 mAh*H. It's rated for up to a 20 Watt charger (which is 4 amps at 5V DC) The Anker 10,000 mA*H chargers are rated at 2.4 amps (at 5VDC) output charging. Thus it will simply take a little longer to charge compared to a 4 amp outlet charger. Solar chargers are fine if your hiking in wide open areas. The available use hours are much more limited in the heavily tree covered PNW. The other issue with solar chargers is they all weigh in close to a pound.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostSun Jul 18, 2021 5:30 pm 
Thanks for all the input/advise everyone-much appreciated!

fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostSat Jul 24, 2021 6:44 pm 
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Jul 24, 2021 9:42 pm 
fishonjoe wrote:
Was looking at this guy https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Portable-Double-Speed-Recharging/dp/B01JIWQPMW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=anker&qid=1627175958&sr=8-3
It’s also weighs over a pound (17.28 ounces) for such a huge 26.8K mAH charger. It’s not really “double speed”, but it does have 3 amps @ 5v. The 10k mAH Anker portable charger is 7.52 ounces, and can put out 2.4 amps @ 5v. I’d suggest getting two 10k units. On shorter three or four day trips one would be sufficient, and would be a lot lighter. On longer trips you could take two units. This would be more flexible than carrying over a pound of weight on every trip. The 10k units are $22 each vs $70 for the 26.8 k monster. The recharging time is also faster on the smaller battery banks.

fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 10:08 am 
Thanks much inflight! So on Anker website they have these 2 the second one is out of stock but the first one may be the one you were referring to? https://us.anker.com/collections/portable-power/products/a1229 https://us.anker.com/collections/portable-power/products/a1230

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 5:36 pm 
Anker seems to have at least 4 models of 10k chargers. Any of them would work for charging a phone. That being said there is little practical difference between the models, so it’s a bit silly how much a premium some of the newest models sell for. Between interrupted manufacturing due to Covid, and shipping delays there’s a lots of out of stock items. There’s other power chargers made by RavPower and Aukey that are options as well. If it’s under 8 ounces and has at least 2.5 amps (12.5 watts) output it will get the job done. More output power is always a plus.

fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 8:51 pm 
Very cool…thanks for the great info. Think I’ll order a couple tonight😎