Forum Index > Trail Talk > How does mosquito repellent work?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 9:47 pm 
I can tolerate GTX in camp if I have to, even in the summer. Need a long sleeve base layer because it feels clammy against my skin otherwise. None of those vampire $&!+% can bite through that. You can usually find a less buggy camp if you look around a bit, and it can be a little surprising where. But I've done boat camps on Ross Lake where the camp itself was a mossy infested hell, but the dock is breezy enough to have none.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostMon Aug 02, 2021 5:22 pm 
I didn’t see much of a mosquito problem here, almost none.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 12:45 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
You mean like a Thermacell? If so, my experience has been that they are a godsend at camp. They can take 15-30 min to warm up to full effectiveness, but if you can tough it out, it's worth it on the other side smile.gif They're really only good for mosquitoes - flies are hit/miss with them.
Sounds interesting. I assume you pack this one? https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-MR-BPR-Backpacker-Mosquito-Repellent/dp/B077ZMVMGD/

brewermd

brewermd
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 1:01 pm 
Well that was a rabbit hole. The Thermocells use allethrin saturated pads. You can buy refill pads, a 12 pack is about $20. Mosquitoes don't usually bother me...that said, last year at T & R they drove me into my tent for the better part of the late afternoon/evening. I could see that this might come in handy. Something to keep in mind, the allethrin is highly toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates so be sure to dispose of the pads appropriately.

brewermd

brewermd
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 1:03 pm 
Sorry, I am procrasti-surfing rather than grading smile.gif You can get the OFF! Mosquito Repellent D-Trans Allethrin Coils 5 oz. for about 6 dollars for a 4 hour coil. I wonder which is lighter dizzy.gif

Cyclopath
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 4:16 pm 
Earlier in the year, Costco was selling (a three pack of course) USB rechargeable LED dome lights / bug zapper. My wife and I used these both car camping and bike touring. I find the dome light to be too strong inside the two person tent bike touring tent but about right in 6 person car camping tent we use with the grandkids. The bug zapper is effective for having a restful night's sleep by turning it on for a while after each opening of the doors until all the invaders have been killed. Instead of lying awake listening for buzz and trying to slap the invaders. The collection of skeeter carcasses on the zapper mesh is a great comfort to my wife , who gets a large welt around each mosquito bite.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 6:09 pm 
Tom - I have the MR300: link. I don't have to carry a canister for it, as it uses small fuel cartridges.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 6:51 pm 
FYI, the anti-itch creme that I mentioned that has worked very well on bites is Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP, Rx only.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 10:36 pm 
Thinking of picking up a thermacell. From what I've read the bubble of protection is more like 3' radius, or 1 unit per person. I was looking to compare weights of the portable units, and here is what I found: 90 grams Thermacell Backpacker 2.0 ($35) 90 grams (empty 4 oz fuel canister) 30 grams (enough fuel for 24 hours) 110 grams (full canister, fuel for 90 hours)) ------ 210-290 grams (with 24 - 90 hours fuel) Cheap replacement pads: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384969103013 (24 pads = 96 hours protection) So cost is roughly $6 (fuel canister) plus $14 (24 pads) = $20 for 96 hours of protection. Compare to the handheld unit: 200 grams Thermacell mr300 ($20) 34 grams (full cartridge for 12 hours) 34 grams (extra cartridge for 24 hours) ----- 234-268 grams (12-24 hours fuel) Cost of fuel and pads is $25 for 72 hours so more expensive to operate unless you plan to refill the fuel bottles. I guess the portable unit might be lighter if you can get by with only 1 fuel cartridge vs. a full 4oz canister, but for longer trips the backpacker version makes more sense, particularly if you're carrying more than 1 fuel canister anyway. The handheld unit might make more sense if you're attaching it to you rather than just using at camp.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 10:51 pm 
Squito repelldnt works by keeping the mosquitoes off. That's how it works. It keeps them mosquitoes off therefore it works!! That's why it's called squito repellent it's cause it keeps the mosquitoes away!!! Keeps em at bay!!! That's how it works!!!

mosey
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 11:04 am 
re: welts. I'm the original mosquito target and I'd come home with 30+ bites/welts while the rest of the family might have 2-3 bites. Even dear brother felt sorry for me when I had to spend all afternoon under a cold shower in Glacier NP even though we really did not get along in those days. In my case, the welts appeared when the itch started and I scratched and scratched and scratched. Also, if you swat the bugger after it's bitten, you get the saliva into the bite site. For ME, kill 'em before they bite or as they are happy and getting ready to fly off. Then, if it really itches, find a distraction. DO NOT SCRATCH. After a few minutes, 99% of the time, the itch disappears and I only have the bite, not the welt. Do I still get a lot of bites? Yup. Welts? Let's just say I don't want to jinx my latter years history with them.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 12:07 pm 
My wife has terrible reactions to Mosquito bites, huge welts. During her adventures with cancer she found that she has a genetic blood clotting condition called Factor V Leiden , which also as the result that any cuts or punctures of the skin swell up and scar much more so than as happens for people without this factor. So individual reaction to Mosquito bites can be quite varied. Based on our experience, it would seem the the flying scourge finds this factor extra tasty as she gets 20x bites as do I.