Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bonanza queen mine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake

Jake
PostSat Jul 10, 2021 9:05 pm 
Well, Timberghost or who ever, if you're going to let that bother you, then you should really think it over. This is a site used by all kinds of people with all kinds of interest, likes and dis-likes, and that's OK. Not everyone likes mines. If they don't like mines, they don't have to read the post. If you don't like rock climbing or snowshoeing, that's fine too. You don't have to read those types of post. To each his own. A lot of people do like mines and history, including Yours Truely. If you think you're getting picked on here, you otta go back and look at some of my post from 2004 and on for a few years. They jumped on me like a pack of wolves on a stray cow. I didn't let it bother me personally, but I stuck up for myself until it got to a point I finally decided to stop placating them and just move on. Don't let one or two people ruin your interest in anything you do.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Aug 13, 2021 1:37 am 
Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program...made some progress in trying to find the HooDoo mine a few days ago. Obviously the river crossing was easy, so we headed down stream from the big 4 bridge, encountering some ripe huckleberries along the way. This time we actually found the correct creek bed that leads to a nice pool and waterfall. The going was pretty easy as there weren't many trees or thick vegetation in the dry creek bed. About 300 yards? prior to the base of the waterfall there is now flowing water which came in handy. So we climbed through thick vegetation up a notch-gully to the right of the waterfall. Seemed to be a bit cliffy and steep and being unsure of the route, we went back to the base of the waterfall. After a nice soaking, we headed down the creek bed maybe 500 yards to where we observed a game trail heading west into the woods. So we headed that way attempting to find the old road heading from Silverton to the hoodoo....we ended up climbing through pretty open forest to about the same elevation as where we stopped at the waterfall. At this point we decided to save it for another day. So, on the next attempt, we plan to continue to climb up through the gully to the right of the waterfall, and hopefully find the road above. Then if it pans out, try to follow the old Silverton road down, turn north after a bit and follow the river back up and out. 3rd times a charm, right?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jake

Jake
PostFri Aug 13, 2021 5:12 am 
However you do it, you need to get well above the gulch at the top of the waterfall on the right side going in.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 8:50 am 
Last time we went we went up creek bed from river. There was a slide years ago, we went right, then through it 100 yrds maybe then up. Stay right of gully and just go up. It will open up to easyer going. Keep going. It will pop out on left. The notch they made that is on top of falls.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 11:30 am 
I heard the mine explorations are all over FB

Jake

Jake
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 12:43 pm 
Chief Joseph
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 1:23 pm 
Google earth it, there is a pond up and to the right. Don't go that far. Shame no easier way to post pics here. I need a hip or I'd show you it. She's a gem.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 10:40 pm 
Jimbo wrote:
Shame no easier way to post pics here.
How much easier would you like it?

Jimbo
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 6:09 pm 
Ding dong dand i will try this, thnx.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 7:07 pm 
If this works you stay right and just keep going but keep the gully in your sights. Don't crawl down the hill side.

Chief Joseph
Ghost.wa

Ghost.wa
PostTue Aug 17, 2021 12:20 pm 
Really have to hit it the Hoodoo just right in order to not get cliffed out on either side.

Chief Joseph
Ghost.wa

Ghost.wa
PostTue Aug 17, 2021 12:40 pm 
Couple photos of the upper BQ from a few years back.

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 17, 2021 1:03 pm 
Yes, the Hoodoo continues to be a challenge, but plan to give it at least one more attempt. Thanks for that info, I was worried about being cliffed out. As far as the upper BQ goes, we have read that there are still ore carts and misc leftover mining items at the upper mine. But the mine entrance is on the side of the cliff, so where would the location of the leftover items be? We plan to try to follow the old road past the Nemo mine to hopefully the top of Long Mt.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ghost.wa

Ghost.wa
PostTue Aug 17, 2021 1:24 pm 
The mine entrance on the cliffside is how you access. I know the last three people who have been in it. Without a lot of roping or a mininum of a little its not really possible.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 17, 2021 1:33 pm 
So the ore carts and other items mentions are still inside the mine entrance? Plus, how did they get the ore from the upper mine to the access road that headed down the mountain to the SE and past the Nemo?