Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bonanza queen mine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ghost.wa

Ghost.wa
PostTue Aug 17, 2021 1:47 pm 
Without going back and reading and looking at plat maps I do not have the answer to what they did back during operations. What I do know is back in the 60's you could still go up the rasie from the lower as the timbers were still good. You still needed ropes for tie off safety. As far as the vertical face of the upper there has been geological changes to the face over the years (erosion slope failure etc) that has made that route nearly impossible. Years ago someone essentially free climbed it with a rope for his hiking partner. Its clear that could not be done today. As far as the ore that is most likely what the two 200' raises were used for. One rasie connected to a middle level and then continued up to the upper. You may have seen some of this same info on another thread.

Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elusive Bigfoot
Elusive Bigfoot

Elusive Bigfoot
Elusive Bigfoot
PostTue Aug 17, 2021 5:22 pm 
One does not simply walk into the Upper B.Q. if you make the trek to the top of the mountain and above the gulch. so dont try...

If you have time to do it wrong. Then you have time to do it right!

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 17, 2021 6:42 pm 
With the additional info (thanks all!) we are not going to try. I am still confused as to the purpose and direction of the old puncheon road that went to the top? of Long Mountain and if the ore was transported to the lower mine adit via the vertical shafts, then why did they need a road to the top? Or, which makes more sense, the road going past the Nemo mine went to the lower BQ mine adit?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jake

Jake
PostWed Aug 18, 2021 5:10 am 
The upper workings were the first workings. Thus the road from the Nemo mine. The long lower tunnel was a crosscut to undercut the vein at a lower level and to run the raise to the upper tunnels, making movement of men, materials and ore much easier. That crosscut was run much later than the upper.

Chief Joseph
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Aug 18, 2021 10:13 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Now after watching this video, I want to get to the upper mine, but the guy in the video say's that "It's Impossible"! cool.gif
I watched this video this morning and it's been on my mind all day. I can't fathom the working conditions those miners faced. I've heard all my life they had it bad but this really drove it home. It must have been terrifying too.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 18, 2021 10:53 pm 
Yes, but one thing that is cool is that it is pretty cool inside the mine...so might have been 90 outside and 60 inside. There are a couple of mines I know of, that are easy to get to and on a really hot day I might take a chair, a book, and a headlamp into the cool mine and ride out the heat. One adit even has a pool...arsenic water? Might cure or kill ya.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

zimmertr
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostFri Aug 20, 2021 11:05 am 
Now is the time to see the lower, easy stream crossing and fallow the trail UP HILL left of that slide. Glad all has liked my video of it. First time we visited it the weather was fall WET. Trying to snow, low clouds/fog. Was getting sucked into the lower tunnel, never seen that. When its Hot the wind goes in the Top and out the bottom tunnel in mines. I've found other tunnels on GPS from info I have but tunnels have been closed off ? 48'06.307N 121'33.957W Great place to explore, was a busy place back in the day. There was mines above the lake too. Never got up there to see.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 29, 2021 12:29 am 
Went back to further explore the mines behind Silverton today. We went over to the Independent and Imperial mines, the lower adit is collapsed just behind the old still standing rough cedar structure and the upper adit is collapsed except for the upper 4' and is also flooded, so pretty much inaccessible. We then explored the gulley to the east and found a couple more exploratory tunnels, one being about 30' deep in solid rock. We then headed up Silver gulch to the creek, just prior to that we found the switchback trail heading up the gulch and to the SW. The first 3/4 mile was pretty clear trail with some flagging and areas where a chainsaw was used within the last few years to keep the trail open. Then the trail narrows, becomes a bit steep and brushy, but still not too difficult to follow. At about 1800'the trail again comes to to upper Silver Creek which is pretty much dry at this point. It was getting late and we were tired so bailed at this point, from where we stopped, we had a clear view of the north face of Hall peak and the waterfalls coming down the cliffs. The mines are located at about 2500' so we were a bit short and decided to save it for another day. Pretty cool though being near the top of Silver Gulch and we saw some awesome old growth cedar, pretty sure some are in excess of 1300 years old. Found out from further research that this trail is/was the usual approach to climb Hall peak. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/tripreport-2006050303?fbclid=IwAR3uc4yNy5eJEkUfCiRnApD-v4ZMGAf38LhH52yfTrNjm7WGHBbq_lLgPIA We parked where the remains of the trailers are (now flattened by trees). This is now private property and we obtained permission to park there and cross the owners property. If anyone wants the info, send a PM, the owner is pretty cool and has no problem allowing access to respectful individuals (but he wants pics, which I am more than happy to provide) since he is physically unable to explore the area himself.

mosey, Jimbo
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 29, 2021 12:41 am 
where we stopped
where we stopped
huge cedar
huge cedar
silver creek
silver creek

mosey
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun May 14, 2023 12:43 am 
I really want to get back to the BQ, still the coolest mine we have explored so far. Have not given up on the Hoodoo, probably give it one more try. I am thinking the only way I will make it there and to Helena lake is if I go with someone that has been there before and wants to return...hint, hint.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon May 22, 2023 4:54 pm 
Have you seen ones at top of deer creek is the road snow free.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon May 22, 2023 4:59 pm 
Yes, have been there a few times, and will probably go back. Also want to get back to the Helena mine, that's a bit more difficult. Drove to the first rough crossing just past the BQ pullout, but the washout is worse and I was in my Celica...pretty sure you can drive to the mine pullout area if you can get past the washout, no snow to that point.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 08, 2023 7:36 pm 
Having finally located the Hoodoo we moved on to another mine which will remain un-named due to privacy and access concerns.

Bramble_Scramble, Jimbo
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Aug 08, 2023 8:33 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Cadmium is a hazardous element found in many mines. It was used in paints for orange colors in olden days. You might think about ditching those boots as if it is cadmium filled muck then it likely would leach from the boot to your feet.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 08, 2023 9:08 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Cadmium is a hazardous element found in many mines. It was used in paints for orange colors in olden days. You might think about ditching those boots as if it is cadmium filled muck then it likely would leach from the boot to your feet.
Thanks for the info, was wondering what that weird colored mud was from. The stuff is nasty, tried to hose it off but no bueno. Luckily my boots were free and a spare pair.