Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > UW football
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 8:18 pm 
Don't know if there's an existing thread. Season debut...might be entering Ty Willingham Version 2.0 era. Drove length of the field for a touchdown on their opening drive, then did absolutely NOTHING for the next 3 1/2 quarters. Lost 13-7 to Montana. And the Griz ain't half of what they used to be. I struggled thru the first half, watched 2 more pathetic offensive possessions after halftime, then shut it off. Completely inept. Couldn't run the ball, couldn't pass, couldn't do anything. Might be a long season. Jimmy Lake is not looking like a good hire.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gil

Gil
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 8:42 pm 
The running backs looked like they were moving in slow motion. The QB threw behind, below, over the receivers all game. Punter looked pretty good, though.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 4:41 pm 
Gil wrote:
Punter looked pretty good, though.
hihi.gif

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostSat Sep 11, 2021 8:08 pm 
Go Ducks!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Sep 11, 2021 8:35 pm 
Trailhead wrote:
Go Ducks!
That was a big win. Another sad showing for the Huskies today.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 10:24 am 
I'm not sure UW Football is worthy of a thread on nwhikers. Just sayin' bawl.gif

Malachai Constant
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 5:32 pm 
Huskies finally got on track yesterday. Pounded Arkansas St. 52-3. Kinda hard to believe their offense was so inept the first 2 games and then responded w/ this.

gb

gb
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 6:19 am 
Jeckyll and Hyde.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Sep 25, 2021 11:42 pm 
Huskies had 3 straight TD drives and took a 21-7 lead early in Q2. Everything looked good (well the defense was giving up plenty of yards and couldn't get stops on 3rd down...), QB was slinging it. And then the offense ground to a halt for the remainder of the game. Cal missed a long FG at the end that would've won it, went to OT. Dawgs got a TD, then recovered a fumbled at the goal line to win it. Not real satisfying. Evened their record at 2-2, this was their conference debut. Still just don't look like a good team. Cal has been bad this year. Tangentially, Oregon St. went down to the LA Coliseum and beat the Trojans there for the first time since...1960! That's been a while. Totally stomped them too. OSU is UW's next opponent.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 10:51 pm 
UW was going nowhere, then Pleasant and McGrew started running wild and they went from down a TD to up a TD. OSU tied it up, UW came up short on 4th and 1 around midfield, then OSU got down to the goal line and held the ball til they could get the game winning FG as time expired. Dawgs fell to 2-3. This coaching staff is not getting it done. How long before they clean house and start over?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 5:01 pm 
Arizona was 0-6 this season and riding an 18 game losing streak. They were leading the Dawgs 13-0 at the half and 16-7 early in the 4th quarter. UW got a come from behind 21-16 win, but hard to feel good about barely beating a truly AWFUL team. Improved their record to 3-4 but they are a lot worse than their record indicates. Coach Lake is in way over his head. The longer he stays the bigger a mess the next coach is going to have to clean up. Eastern Washington was undefeated heading into today, somehow lost to previously 2-4 Weber St. Were down two TDs in Q4, almost tied it up but missed a PAT. Washington St. was having a tough season, but seemed to be figuring some things out and had won a couple in a row. Then they had to dismiss half of their coaching staff (non compliance w/ COVID shot). Lost a close one against BYU today, thanks largely to a missed PAT and a failed 2 point conversion. College football in the state of Washington SUCKS this year.

borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 3:07 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
How long before they clean house and start over?
My only thought is that it looks like they already did. I believe there are only 20-25 upper classmen on the team and over half the roster are freshmen. Whatever legacy Peterson left the program is gone for sure - either via graduation or transfer portal. We'll see how these freshmen pan out over the next couple years. Or not. Definitely hard to watch, for sure.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 10:51 pm 
borank wrote:
My only thought is that it looks like they already did. I believe there are only 20-25 upper classmen on the team and over half the roster are freshmen. Whatever legacy Peterson left the program is gone for sure - either via graduation or transfer portal. We'll see how these freshmen pan out over the next couple years. Or not. Definitely hard to watch, for sure.
I meant with the staff. I don't think the players are the problem. There are a ton of underclassmen, I think many of them are redshirts, which means these are still guys Peterson recruited, if not actually coached.

borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 3:36 pm 
Yeah, I get that. The upper classmen have apparently already decided for themselves on the staff (or perhaps on how uw or the pac-12 handled last year's whacky covid season) by graduating, by not returning for a free fifth year of eligibility, or by transfer portal. I saw on the UW roster that there are (iirc) only 4 upper classmen on offense. Not sure anyone would have great success with 85+ percent of the roster being frosh and soph. If Lake was supposed to carry on Peterson's legacy, then yeah, didn't happen. If he can coach up all these under classmen, they might be back on track in a year or two. But I'm not holding my breath.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 14, 2021 5:38 pm 
Well a lot has happened since the last post. The OC was given the boot. Then Lake was suspended for a game for a sideline altercation with a player. Dawgs lost a winnable game w/ the DC serving as interim HC. And today Lake was given his walking papers. Only coached 13 games in a bit less than 2 season. Morris has been awful at QB, but they've stuck w/ him all year. The interim coach is a lame duck, but now he doesn't have to worry about showing loyalty to Lake. I sincerely hope there is a change at QB from here on out. Morris gives them so little chance of winning. Their record isn't that bad, 4-6, but they easily could have another 3 or 4 wins this year.