Forum Index > Trail Talk > Help, I need ideas.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 7:03 am 
My hard drive appears to be full and I am not thinking of many quality Class 3 rock scrambles in the Cascades for me to do. More scrambling the better, I'd like to find stuff less than 10 miles one way in. One thing I like to do is find aesthetic routes on mountains that have a more common slog up. I never fully understand why people choose a gritty gully over a solid appearing rib or low angle face, simply on the difficulty and the fact that the "beta" is on the slog route. I'd prefer day trips but I've hit lots of the low hanging fruit. What are your favorite scrambles? I may not have thought of it. Have you ever found yourself saying, "wow, sweet scramble finish, I only wish it were three times longer?" Some of my favorites for context: N. Twin and South Twin Sisters west ridges, west face Columbia, Standard Route Tower Mtn, Stilletto traverse, West ribs of Maude and 7 Fingered, Arganaut south gullies, 3 Queens North Ridge. I can't hardly remember right now....there are others. I think the desert sw has maxed my data capacity

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 9:29 am 
I enjoyed South Ingalls Peak quite a bit. There's some very pretty rock up there. But I don't know if I climb to the same caliber that you do based on the examples you gave.
Above the Basin
Above the Basin
Stu & the Rest
Stu & the Rest

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 9:37 am 
Seems like a good third class is hard to find. If you’re up for a little bit of roped climbing the Green Creek Arete to the north east ridge of South twin sister is a beautiful journey. Largely third and fourth class with like 20 feet of low fifth on the arete. In the same area the northeast face/slab of Little Sister is some of the nicest 4th class rock in the range with a long, glorious approach. Very easy climbing with good fixed rappel anchors. Some friends did a very long ridge line on Mt Prophet that was 3rd/4th and supposedly a blast.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 3:29 pm 
Ulrich's Coulior on Mount Stuart is one of my favorite all time scrambles, and 3000 ft long! It's a long day trip or easier as an overnight. Another to fit that category is Mount Clark in the Olympics. Really solid scrambling on that one, steep and fun. Stay on route! Chair peak S shoulder is a shorter day, and the SE route up Cashmere is more of a moderate to long day if you do the loop back the standard route.

neek
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 11:06 am 
Thanks all, please keep them coming. I have a bunch of TRs under my name for a look at what I've enjoyed. Agreed on Stuart and Ingalls, I've done those. That arete on Prophet looks really cool and I've wondered about the difficulty. Have never seen a TR. I've wondered about SE Ridge Cashmere and that can be the convincer, awilsondc! The reminder on Clark is another on the backburner list, thanks! Trying to avoid the rope. Limited time and energy and partner availability.... I'd like to get into Fisher/Arriva/Greybeard and I think they are right on the cusp of rope req'd. At least Fisher. I've found very little info on N Ridge of Whistler but CAG says 3/4. Looks longish enough to be interesting. I feel less of a need to tag the top of a walk ups these days in familiar places for some reason. Unless I have other reasons to be in the area: friends, fall colors, new area, etc.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 11:16 am 
East Esmerelda was a lot of fun, may or may not be long enough for you. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7987302

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 11:21 am 
Tom wrote:
East Esmerelda was a lot of fun, may or may not be long enough for you. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7987302
No way...I've been wanting to locate that TR for a long time, Tom. That's a great idea. I'ts short on approach and long on scrambling. "Maybe 1500 feet of sustained Class 3 rock"--DHM That's hard to find and fits the bill. You wouldn't have a larger annotated route pic would you? It is a surprisingly complicated little face viewed from across. I really ought not need that level of detail...but getting lazy! Thanks, John

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 11:25 am 
His earlier images got imageshacked but later in his TR there is a larger topo posted as well as an annotated route a few posts later: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=729791#729791

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 11:51 am 
Re Prophet, this route looks like it might be right up your alley, although probably an overnight trip https://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/topic/101857-tr-mount-prophet-jacobs-ladder-aka-full-sw-ribfa-06242018/

geyer, Randy
b00

b00
PostTue Sep 28, 2021 5:19 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
I'd like to get into Fisher/Arriva/Greybeard and I think they are right on the cusp of rope req'd. At least Fisher. I've found very little info on N Ridge of Whistler but CAG says 3/4. Looks longish enough to be interesting. I feel less of a need to tag the top of a walk ups these days in familiar places for some reason. Unless I have other reasons to be in the area: friends, fall colors, new area, etc.
north ridge of whistler: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8016784 it was mostly 3/4 with a touch of 5, but "more worrisome than anticipated. we did 4 pitches of 3rd and 4th and a little bit of low 5th on rock that, although nothing broke off on us, was very suspect. most of the holds could not be tested, as they appeared they could either land on you or start a cascade of rocks down on you. we could have scrambled it, but both of us were glad we roped up, as it was exposed and we both felt uneasy about the rock quality. we descended the west ridge " fisher: super fun, super. definitely class 4, but only for a couple of exposed moves on solid rock. brought a rope, but neither of us considered using. a little like the west ridge of south twin(a fun ridge scramble), but much, much, much shorter. great camp at silent lakes. tom and dhm east esmeralda route i bet is great, but if you miss getting on the route, you could try our f-troop variation: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8021392 :>) ps - loves reading your t/r's and posts!