Forum Index > Trail Talk > High hunt open Sept 15th.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 8:00 am 
Just a reminder to those venturing out that the high hunt opens this Wednesday. Would be a good idea to wear more visible clothing when venturing into the wilderness areas. Not all wilderness areas are open to high buck hunting.

Lindsay, wade63
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 8:35 am 
I think I have shared this multiple times over the years, but make sure your dog is wearing orange too. Twice I have had hunters – – bear hunters – – tell me they almost shot my dog (two different dogs, neither looked like a bear).

Lindsay, rubywrangler, wade63, brewermd
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 12:50 pm 
FWIW
WDFW wrote:
Alpine Lakes, Mount Baker, Glacier Peak, Pasayten, Olympic Peninsula**, Henry Jackson Wilderness Areas and Lake Chelan Recreation Area
https://www.eregulations.com/washington/hunting/deer-general-seasons/ In general it makes sense to pull out your blaze orange at this point in the year, regardless of exactly where hunts are permitted as sometimes hunters "get confused" and hunt somewhere that isn't one of the permitted areas. Following the WDFW requirements for "blaze orange" is helpful in avoiding a shooting "mistake". https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/requirements/ethics-safety/hunter-orange

thename

thename
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 1:15 pm 
I regretted not having mine on amid the bevy of bow hunters out Jack/Meadow Creek yesterday. Relatively large number of "thwaps" alerted me and the dog to the arrows crossing the meadow near us.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 1:22 pm 
I went for a short walk on some county roads through WDFW lands this morning. LOTS of archery hunters out looking for deer, too. Deer season for archery ending, variously Sept 15, 20 or 25th. Orange would be a good idea pretty much anywhere…..

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 5:21 pm 
I will forever be incredulous that it is even possible to mistake a human for a deer. There's just no way anyone should ever be confused about that.

Shred, I'm Pysht
Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 9:22 pm 
Unfortunately there are those who call themselves hunters who are anything but. A hunter with ethics is sure of both the target and the background. A true hunter is looking for a one shot kill and wouldn't take a pot shot. I have run into Yahoo's close to the road, once your some distance into the backcountry the skill level rises considerably. Not to say there aren't exceptions. It always a good idea to wear orange, just wish mushroom pickers were more aware that rustling around in the bush isnt a great idea without wearing it.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 10:56 pm 
There is a reason why there is a federal bureau of alcohol, tobacco and firearms. IME: the vast majority of hunters are careful and thoughtful. But it only takes one knucklehead to ruin your day. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/hiker-mistaken-for-a-bear-killed-by-hunter/

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 11:38 pm 
There is a demographic shift underway. Killing wildlife for entertainment is looked down on these days.

zimmertr  mosey
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 5:12 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
There is a demographic shift underway. Killing wildlife for entertainment is looked down on these days.
What does that have to do with hunting? Wasting meat is a crime. I have friends who are avid hunters and they hunt to fill up their freezers with good, healthy, happy meat. I'd like someday to see a comparison of the "footprint" of meat obtained by hunting to meat that comes from a factory farm or feedlot operation. I love to eat elk but it is a lot of work, and I'm too lazy, to get elk meat. The enjoyment of hunting or I guess you'd call it entertainment, is the camping and hiking with friends that a lot do to try to get that meat. Prior to the season opening, they are usually out scouting areas for animals or.....hiking around. Should there be an actual kill, then the nasty work begins--skinning, gutting, packing out. I don't know how many on here realize how hard that is. I worked with a guy who could barely move and was very sore for days after he packed out his elk that he got bow hunting in some gawd awful hole. It takes a person more than one trip. I do know of a mother who forbade her boys to hunt any more bear. They did eat the meat, but their house was too small for any more bear skins. Her husband and boys do fill up the freezers and I don't think they eat any beef. They do know where their food comes from and that it doesn't magically appear in the store. That's a good thing if you are going to be a carnivore.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Waterman
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 8:25 pm 
I’m not going anywhere near the mountains until high hunt is over. Two years ago, camped at White River Falls, we had a bunch of dinguses discharging their firearms in the campground, drinking, etc. Over the years I’ve realized that the hunters who actually make it into the high country are generally safe and know what they’re doing (these as the ones who have the skill and fitness to actually hike and cover ground) but there are too many fools out there playing around to make it worth it to me, whether or not I have blaze orange on.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 5:45 pm 
if yalls a comin here this is the season chart: good luck http://www.huntingseasonhq.com/montana-hunting-seasons/