Forum Index > Trail Talk > It can still rain in the Pacific NW - current outlook
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 7:02 am 
Got a bit of drizzle this morning at my house on the Key Peninsula in the South Sound.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 6:02 am 
NWS Seattle Discussion 9/13:
Quote:
.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...Clouds will increase through the day on Thursday as heights begin to fall in advance of the first significant frontal system of the season. Rain will likely reach the coast by late Thursday night then spread into the interior early Friday morning. 24 hour precip totals for the coast could reach one and a half to two inches, 2 to 4 inches in the mountains, and perhaps three quarters of inch or more around parts of Puget Sound. Snow levels will still be relatively high...near 8,000 feet falling to 6,000 behind the front. This will, however, impact anyone planning to be in the higher elevations. Prepare for quickly developing winter conditions in the high elevations Friday afternoon and night. A cool, upper trough settles over the region for the upcoming weekend with showers continuing as a series of upper disturbances rotate through the region. Cooler air aloft associated with the upper trough will lead to some degree of instability in the atmosphere. As such, a slight chance of thunderstorms remains in the forecast for Saturday afternoon and evening. 27

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 6:21 am 
gb wrote:
NWS Seattle Discussion 9/13:
Quote:
.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...Clouds will increase through the day on Thursday as heights begin to fall in advance of the first significant frontal system of the season. Rain will likely reach the coast by late Thursday night then spread into the interior early Friday morning. 24 hour precip totals for the coast could reach one and a half to two inches, 2 to 4 inches in the mountains, and perhaps three quarters of inch or more around parts of Puget Sound. Snow levels will still be relatively high...near 8,000 feet falling to 6,000 behind the front. This will, however, impact anyone planning to be in the higher elevations. Prepare for quickly developing winter conditions in the high elevations Friday afternoon and night. A cool, upper trough settles over the region for the upcoming weekend with showers continuing as a series of upper disturbances rotate through the region. Cooler air aloft associated with the upper trough will lead to some degree of instability in the atmosphere. As such, a slight chance of thunderstorms remains in the forecast for Saturday afternoon and evening. 27
2 to 4 inches! Wonder if that's enough to raise flood concerns. 2 feet of snow above 8K!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
pula58

pula58
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 9:43 am 
Thank goodness for the rain (and snow!)! Even if it does foil some of our trip plans!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
Prepare for quickly developing winter conditions in the high elevations Friday afternoon and night.
Whoa. I had just looked at the NWS site and saw this. Came here and gb already has it posted. Yikes! Winter coming already. I hope I can get out and get another hike in before it hits. ~z

gb

gb
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 7:21 am 
This is just through Monday morning (UW mm5);
If this comes to pass it will certainly set daily and 48 hour records for the dates, and is likely to set all-time September rainfall records for one day, and even more likely for 48 hour rainfall in Washington for this month (September). This is more like a very strong November or January storm. Look for 5' of new snow on Mt. Baker above about 7000'. (Some of the rain will fall with 9000' snow levels.)

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 11:33 am 
Started raining at noon yesterday up in the headwaters of the Chiwawa. Lots of hunters hunkered down up there waiting for the High Hunt to officially start, getting quite wet. Lots of hunter-wannabe’s staying dry, hunkered down at the Squirrel Tree Bar.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 9:58 pm 
I don’t understand the units on the map. What is the forecast precipitation range for the magenta colored area?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 10:15 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Lots of hunter-wannabe’s staying dry, hunkered down at the Squirrel Tree Bar.
They are the smart ones, lol. For a lot of my friends in North Dakota, hunting meant driving around all day in a pickup truck and drinking beer. The deer were pretty safe.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Nancyann, zimmertr
iron

iron
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 10:17 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
I don’t understand the units on the map. What is the forecast precipitation range for the magenta colored area?
cin = centi-inches. magenta = 128 - 256, so 1.28" - 2.56"

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 10:36 pm 
Merci. I used to record the official weather at Kent, and I’d never heard the term.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 7:59 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Nancyann wrote:
Lots of hunter-wannabe’s staying dry, hunkered down at the Squirrel Tree Bar.
They are the smart ones, lol. For a lot of my friends in North Dakota, hunting meant driving around all day in a pickup truck and drinking beer. The deer were pretty safe.

Chief Joseph, Nancyann
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:19 am 
Kind of like ice fishing cheers.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Chief Joseph
jaysway

jaysway
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:29 am 
Cliff Mass yesterday:
Quote:
If you were planning to take a hike on Friday, forget it. Thinking about painting your house? No way. It is going to be very, very wet on Friday and early Saturday, and I suspect some daily precipitation records will be broken.
More: https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 3:59 pm 
There’s no paint to be bought anyway. Too bad the Gifford Pinchot can’t be out on the ridges with drip torches today, making huckleberry habitat.