Forum Index > Trail Talk > PNT through Olympic National Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Walkin' Fool

Walkin' Fool
PostTue Oct 05, 2021 3:30 pm 
I'm in the very early planning stages for a thru-hike of the ONP potion of the Pacific Northwest Trail (for next year) and I have some preliminary questions. My eastern point would be the Tubal Cain TH and the western point would either be the Bogachiel or the Hoh: -Are there any big pros/cons to west-to-east vs east-to-west? (Maybe that depends on the next question...) -I'd originally thought I'd do the Bogachiel section because it's the "true" PNT and I've never been on that trail. However, most reports make it seem...less than great. Also, if I come out the Hoh from the High Divide, it's less mileage than continuing on the Bogachiel, and I am a bit concerned about how much food I'm going to have to carry since I won't have a resupply - so a day or 2 less might be good. I've been on the Hoh through to Olympus but it's been several years. Opinions on Hoh vs Bogachiel? -Is there a reliable water source near Appleton Pass? I see small Oyster Lake on the map nearby. Thanks!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Oct 05, 2021 4:55 pm 
Unless there's still snow, Oyster lake is the water source at Appleton Pass. If you're not into drinking from stagnant ponds, you'll find running water a ways down the trail to the north.

Walkin' Fool, RodF
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Oct 05, 2021 8:26 pm 
If you’re hesitant about the Bogie due to conditions reports, it had a major brushing project this year.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

Walkin' Fool, RodF
RodF

RodF
PostTue Oct 05, 2021 11:58 pm 
...much more than brushing this year, a major restoration by PNTA and BCHW! Restoring the Bogachiel Trail East vs west? Might plan both, then choose based on the weather forecast as the date grows near. (It's often wet and socked in on the west rain forest side, while dry and clear here on the northeast rain shadow side. And it takes a couple weeks for the Bogi to dry out after a rain.)

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva

Walkin' Fool
Walkin' Fool

Walkin' Fool
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 8:15 am 
Wow, that's awesome news about the Bogachiel! What an impressive effort - a million thanks to everyone involved! Maybe I'll just need to figure out a resupply - or get fit enough to enjoy consecutive 20-mile days! lol.gif

domaz

domaz
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 8:52 am 
I did the Bogie as through hike West to East in July. Trail was in pretty good shape until you hit Hyak. Hopefully the trail crew has cleared that area out as it was a tad hard to follow, but still pretty manageable really, just slower going is what it amounted to. Definitely recommend the Bogie over the Hoh if you want to avoid crowds. You are unlikely to see anyone on that trail until you get to the Western ends of it.

Walkin' Fool
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 11:02 am 
Logistically I'd vote for to get dropped off at the Pacific, and enjoying a hotel & hot shower in Port Townsend at the end. Rod Strickland's PNT Guide is a good one, not sure if there are any better ones.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau

Walkin' Fool