Forum Index > Photography Talk > Photo copyright question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 2:29 pm 
I would like to do a short history write up that would involve a couple of Lee Pickett photos. The photos are presently on file at the U of W library. Since quality is not important, I would just like to post screen shots. Would this cause a copyright issue? The phots would only go to NW Hikers. They would not be reproduced or used for any commercial purpose.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 2:55 pm 
It's a gray area, but suspect it might be more of an issue to screen print as opposed to hotlink the source images via IMG tag. Here is one article: https://photocopyrightlaw.com/can-embedding-hotlinking-or-inline-linking-constitute-copyright-infringement/

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 3:21 pm 
What's the university's policy on "making copies" of items in their collection? Ask the librarians first. In terms of enforcement, there generally isn't any and typically the 1st step in any proceeding is a request to remove infringing material and only when there is a refusal and there is money on the table does it get more serious. Unless you are unlucky enough to be selected as an example.

Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 3:45 pm 
Tom. Thanks for the help. I think the link answers my question. 2 things seem to apply. There is no intent to use the images for commercial purposes. The reproductions would certainly be of a much lower resolution which would not be in competition with the much higher quality of the originals. In the post I will give a shout out to the U of W Library archives and the Pickett collection. Any attention to the photos should help stimulate interest in people to want to visit the library site. It certainly has a lot of interesting historical stuff.

Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 3:46 pm 
Tom. Thanks for the help. I think the link answers my question. 2 things seem to apply. There is no intent to use the images for commercial purposes. The reproductions would certainly be of a much lower resolution which would not be in competition with the much higher quality of the originals. In the post I will give a shout out to the U of W Library archives and the Pickett collection. Any attention to the photos should help stimulate interest in people to want to visit the library site. It certainly has a lot of interesting historical stuff.

Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 8:49 pm 
If you rummage around in the terms of service, https://www.washington.edu/online/terms/ they make it fairly clear what’s ok and not ok.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 10:30 pm 
"Fair use" would apply for this circumstance, which is mentioned in the UW link above. Plenty of guidance on line re what's considered fair use.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 7:35 am 
Props to the Op for asking beforehand. All too commonly the ability to screenshot or right click is (mis)taken as permission to steal.