Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Some old Great Northern RR stuff
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 4:29 pm 
I thought I would post some photos that harken back when the Great Northern crossed the Cascades through Tye and the old 2 mile Cascade tunnel. The first 2 are screen shots of Lee Pickett photos. First is a shot of the old snow shed and some remaining buildings at Tye shortly after that section shut down. Note the bareness of the mountain side. I understand that the coal fired steamers were responsible for clearing all the timber over the years. Lack of timber cover certainly contributed to the snow slides and the need for snow sheds. Note the road on the left. That was apparently the first road over the pass. We traveled that road when I was a kid as it was before the present alignment. It began at Scenic and climbed to intercept and follow the original railroad switch back grade to the summit. The road still exists as it takes you to the east end of the Iron Goat trail. I drove it back in the mid 90s, but it was washed out where it crossed the Tye River. I don't know if the lower section is passible now or not. The next photo is the lower trestle that crosses Martin Creek before entering the horseshoe tunnel. Note the grade and snow shed at the upper exit of the tunnel. The west trailhead of the Iron Goat Trail should be about where the upper snow shed is shown. The last shots are by me over the years. The shot of the Tye snow shed was in the 60s taken
from the existing highway. Note how the timber has come back over the years. The others you probably recognize as the west entrance to the 2 mile tunnel and the west entrance to the Windy Point tunnel both taken back in the '90s. At the time the Iron Goat trail had only been built to Windy Point. I would encourage you to visit the Pickett Photo archives at the U of W library. There are lots of interesting historical pictures.

mosey, RodF, Sculpin, hikerbiker
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostSun Nov 21, 2021 10:47 pm 
Dick B wrote:
I would encourage you to visit the Pickett Photo archives at the U of W library. There are lots of interesting historical pictures.
Long ago I periodically did odd jobs and sold stove-split firewood to his widow, Dorothy, in Index. She had a closet filled with manila envelopes holding 8 x 10 prints. When done toiling for the day I would be allowed to spend some time in the closet, and I generally took my wages, or more, in photos. Buck a print back then. It is good the archive made it to the UW.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message