Forum Index > Gear Talk > Actually waterproof(no worthless DWR) pants?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Nov 14, 2021 2:59 pm 
Tired of goretex and similar POS materials that wet out after a year or 2. I don't want to worry about reapplying DWR all the time. I want something that works without constant attention. My dream pair of pants is waterproof using something that actually lasts more than a year or 2. And has pockets with waterproof zippers. I have an outdry rain jacket that I think actually fits this bill. I bought a pair of outdry pants... no zippers. The pockets are a gaping hole that lets water in, unless one has a very long jacket. Shakedry materials are not used for pants that I can find. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 14, 2021 3:07 pm 
Halley Hansen fishermen pants.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Gregory, thunderhead
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Nov 14, 2021 11:05 pm 
Ya, that might be the best solution. A single layer of old school non breathing shell. No insulating layers so as not to sweat. Wont work on warm days... but for ski season maybe. OR That HH odin 9 infinity pants looks elite. 400 bucks though eek.gif

Luc

Luc
PostTue Nov 16, 2021 4:01 pm 
+ 1 on the HH fishermen pants. Mine are super old and still completely waterproof. The materials have probably improved, but with mine being essentially rubber with a lining, they got a bit sticky after living in the hot truck for years. Just don't do that and you should be fine.

GNGSTR
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon Nov 22, 2021 10:34 am 
Grundens are similar to HH and well made. 25% off at the moment for selected items. https://grundens.com/

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostMon Feb 28, 2022 8:56 pm 
Years ago, when I worked in the landscape business, I bought some Helly Hanson fishing rain gear. It sure kept me dry, but I never used it for hiking because it was so bulky and heavy. I looked at the tag on the rain gear and it’s a PVC on the outside and cotton on the inside. In the 15 years since I last bought Helly Hanson they might have come out with a better model of the kind I bought that’s lighter and a little more flexible. I remember workmates laughing at my rain gear. I always retorted that I was dry and warm and asked what about them with their goretex rain gear? Were they dry? They would always get upset and say no.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 am 
As most of us in the PNW have discovered, it should be called non-durable water repellent. Yes, you could respray it with something to get a few more months of use. Goretex is actually the worse, as it needs an outside DWR layer, and inside layer to protect it. So you end up with a wet heavier coat. The Fishing Style PVC coated stuff is water proof, and heavy. If your active in it you can choose to keep the precipitation out, only to be soaked from perspiration. I would suggest the moderately priced 2.5 layer rain gear with pit zips (under $250) for Coat and Pants is the best answer, knowing that you will need to replace them after three years of regular use or so. I've bought Tall sizes from REI and Eddie Bauer. I carry the Frog Toggs Ultra-Light Rain Suit in my backpack. Tyvek material, not ultra-durable, but for $30 works quite well . They have a poncho version as well, which I keep in my day back.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau