Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Quote of the day..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 11:07 pm 
I think I tried this once and not many commented, but maybe with more people spending time inside now, reading and such AND with "Cabin Fever" coming on, it might be interesting, informative, maybe even fun! zzz.gif My Q of the day is from the book, "The White Spider" about the adventures and thoughts of one of the first to make the ascent of The Eiger, Heni Harrer. This quote from the book is of the French climber, Rebuffat during his climb of the Eiger. "In the morning I had felt almost happy that the inevitable storm had burst at last. Now, with my head aching and my elbow numb, I advanced without enthusiasm. My heart was no longer in the job and all around was a cold, white and silent hell. The human animal inside me was unhappy: the snow entered by my wrists and neck, my fingers were frozen, my toes freezing, and my damp clothes formed a creaking shell.". But up they went!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Nov 23, 2021 12:02 pm 
Beyond the Mountain, Steve House "An hour before sunset, two exhausted men descend from the summit of Nanga Parbet. It should be deeply frightening to gaze out over the Rupal face at dusk -- and it is. Perhaps nowhere on earth are you so far away from life. In the dark, fear and pain seem more appropriate. Home and love are just flickers of my imagination in the hollow darkness. In that moment , I understand that on the outer edge of infinity lies nothingness, that in the instant I achieve my objective, and discover my true self, both are lost". Day 5 of 8 day ascent of the Rupal Face.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Chief Joseph
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Nov 24, 2021 9:12 pm 
These posts remind of my favorite beer commercial: Two men in a mountain cabin during a blizzard obviously going stir crazy. Man1: Starts a fire then gets up and pulls his jacket on. Man2: "Where ya goin?" Man1: "To get a Strohs". Man2: "That's about a 200 mile hike through heavy snow". Man1: "I know". Man2: "If you think about it ... What am I doing - here is a youtube link:

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 24, 2021 11:42 pm 
Good one! ^^^....One of my fav quotes will always be by Groucho Marx, from his letter of resignation to the Friars' Club: “I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.". I resemble that remark.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RichP

RichP
PostFri Nov 26, 2021 7:30 pm 
Here are a bunch from Plato.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Nov 27, 2021 8:44 am 
"I'm going where the sun keeps shining, Through the pouring rain, Going where the weather suits my clothes." cool.gif -Fred Neil

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Nov 27, 2021 12:26 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
"I'm going where the sun keeps shining, Through the pouring rain, Going where the weather suits my clothes." cool.gif -Fred Neil
Funny. Reminds me of a neighbor I had many years ago in West Texas, he was a retired Merchant Marine from the east coast. I asked him once how he ended up here and he pointed to his stack of encyclopedia's and said, "I read that the weather here in Alpine was the best overall temperature in the entire US, so here I am. He asked me my name, and when I told him my last name, he said, "Did you know that your ancestors discovered America? I said "Columbus?". He said, "No, an Irish monk discovered America hundred's of years before and then loaned me the book, "The Brendan Voyage". Quite a character that guy. Another time I asked if I could borrow his power lawn mower and he asked me if I knew how to use a file? He then pointed to an old non powered push mower and said "there you go". Funny thing is I still have two of those today. Good exercise.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Dec 01, 2021 1:26 pm 
I opened a small box I hadn’t unpacked the last time I moved. Found a treasure trove of goodies that I’d previously had on my refrigerator: “ An expert is a fast-talking S.O.B. from out of town” -Duke Cozart, mechanic, Tres Piedras, NM “I like travelers, but I don’t like tourists. The difference is travelers don’t shop and they don’t play golf.” - Tom Robbins Stay tuned for more.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Chief Joseph
half fast

half fast
PostMon Dec 06, 2021 11:41 pm 
Two of my favorites... Every thought I think I am creating my future - Louise Hay If you think you can or you think you can't...your right - Henry Ford

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 4:26 pm 
“Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery of why we climb.” -Greg Child “Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves, and half in love with oblivion.” · “Chasing angels or fleeing demons, go to the mountains.”

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Dec 28, 2021 10:21 pm 
"Destroying a rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal." "The real problem of humanity is we have paleolithic emotions, medieval institutions and godlike technology, and it is terrifically dangerous..." - E.O. Wilson (both quotes)

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

RayD, Chief Joseph, Cyclopath
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 03, 2022 6:04 pm 
About getting older: “It’s not a surprise, we knew it was coming—make the most of it. So you may not be as fast on your feet, and the image in your mirror may be a little disappointing, but if you are still functioning and not in pain, gratitude should be the name of the game.” Betty White....RIP.

half fast, tinman, Anne Elk, reststep
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 12:49 pm 
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of it's victims may be the most oppressive....those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."- C.S. Lewis

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 27, 2022 10:42 am 
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth!" -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard I'd love to replace "Starfleet Officer" with politician! We could sure use a HEAVY dose of the truth in our government today!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 1:47 pm 
"I told you Neil Young was a jackass!". Ronnie Van Zant

Slim