Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Gonzaga Basketball
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 14, 2021 4:31 pm 
I think last years team had a better chance of a championship due to having more depth in the front court. There are a lot of good teams in the dance and Gonzaga has only played a couple of them, WVa and BYU. They were behind by 9 at the half last week against BYU and won by 5 in early December against WVA. As always, I worry that their lack of competition against very good teams might hurt their chances. However, they have done well in the few close games and will have to do that to make it to Indy for the Final 4.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 14, 2021 6:12 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
There are a lot of good teams in the dance and Gonzaga has only played a couple of them
Short memory! Beat Kansas, Virginia and Iowa early in the season. Agreed about lack of front court depth, after Timme there isn't much there. But this has to be the best, deepest Zag guard/wing rotation ever, and that's saying something. I don't think they've ever had a player like Suggs before. For the most part guards win games, not bigs.

stever

stever
PostSun Mar 14, 2021 8:19 pm 
Suggs was also a great HS football player (QB) and received a number of Big-10 football offers. A lot of the Big-10 coaches believe he would have had an NFL career if he had chosen football over basketball. SR

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 14, 2021 8:58 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Short memory! Beat Kansas, Virginia and Iowa early in the season.
O yea, didn't watch them much early until I came over to Idaho where every game is televised. Still, they went pretty much the entire season without being tested and to me that hurts their chances. Look at Baylor and the Big 12 with 7 teams in the NCAA, they have had to compete at a high level the entire year.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 3:43 pm 
Hey Zags fans, the Battle in Seattle returns this December after a long hiatus. Playing Alabama. Presale going on now, general sale starts Friday I think.

rocknclimb
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Nov 20, 2021 5:21 pm 
Great week upcoming: #1 Gonzaga vs. #2 UCLA on Tuesday (same time as Sounders playoff game rolleyes.gif ). So far they've looked fun against a few lesser teams, but #5 Texas as well. I love the footwork of Drew Timme around the basket and the 7-footer Holmgren running the floor. Then, another game against Duke on Friday night (overlapping the end of the Apple Cup, which of course, I'll watch and root, but really.... huh.gif ) I saw a graphic during last night's game, 10 former Zags playing in the NBA right now....Another dozen playing professionally in Europe.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Nov 20, 2021 5:35 pm 
I've only seen the Texas game. Wasn't really as close as the final margin. Holmgren struggled in that one but Timme shined. A lot of young guys and new players to mix in, they should improve as the year goes on. Didn't realize there were that many Zags in the NBA. Gonna be more in the coming years with the way they are recruiting now.

Chief Joseph
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Nov 27, 2021 5:30 pm 
Zags hammered UCLA, lost a close game to Duke. A bit of a relief really, don't need to have the pressure of trying to go undefeated hanging over them all year like they did last season.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Nov 27, 2021 6:45 pm 
I agree, plus now they have no doubt that they are not invincible. I think that over-all this looks to be their best team ever, I just don't see a major weakness at all. They have great depth both in the front and back court. One thing I don't agree with is Holmgren planning to go to the NBA after only one college season, imo, he needs a few years to bulk up, NBA players will toss him around like a rag doll.

DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 9:52 pm 
If I were Holmgren I would be cashing in before my joints failed.

"May you live in interesting times"
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Nov 30, 2021 9:30 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
lost a close game to Duke
It was like watching a pro game except the players were playing as hard as they can. clown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Dec 04, 2021 7:18 pm 
Hmm...maybe the Zags aren't quite as good as we thought. Getting their asses kicked by Alabama in the first Battle in Seattle in quite a while in the shiny new Climate Pledge Arena.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Dec 04, 2021 8:14 pm 
Nice rally for GU, but so many missed opportunities, then they ran out of gas and Alabama pulled away. Defense sucked. 91-82 final.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Dec 04, 2021 9:06 pm 
Too bad thy missed so many free throws or it might have been a close finish. I was worried about this game and did not agree with being ranked #16, pretty sure they are a top 10 team. The Zags weren't moving and passing like they usually do, not sure why. Not really impressed with Nembhard, he seems kind of slow and doesn't have much of an outside shot. Also not really impressed with Holmgren, he is simply to skinny and his 3 point shots were way off tonight.

DadFly

DadFly
PostSun Dec 05, 2021 9:12 am 
The only way to defend against a strong three point shooting team is to be a strong three point shooting team. We were weak. We pulled within spitting distance when they got into foul trouble. But all their best guys came back out when we were dog tired. Great coaching.

"May you live in interesting times"