Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Summit at Snoqualmie revised uphill travel policy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 10:19 am 
I thought the Pass was free? If so, why do they need any payment info? I also assume that it is only needed on days they are operational? I am also assuming one can get a Pass in person on days they are open? Lots of assuming, I know! biggrin.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 11:37 am 
All wrong assumptions. Pass is not free $5 enough to get your info and enough to make it a valid contract. It is needed even if areas are closed. You cannot get it in person only on line because folks would just pay cash and they get no info. They want the info not the money.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
snoqpass

snoqpass
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 4:14 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
I thought the Pass was free? If so, why do they need any payment info? I also assume that it is only needed on days they are operational? I am also assuming one can get a Pass in person on days they are open? Lots of assuming, I know! biggrin.gif
The link at the beginning has all the information, they have a $5 "processing" fee they require you to have one even if the area is not operating that day, there are no daily passes and they are only available through the online store

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 5:12 pm 
I'm wondering if it's possible to obtain an uphill pass at the seasons pass office @ Summit West. That way maybe there would either be no "processing fee" or you could pay in cash.

kw

kw
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 11:07 pm 
I doubt the processing fee would be waived but maybe they'd accept cash. They aren't particularly accommodating in my experience, there's a good chance they won't even know what you're asking about.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostWed Dec 08, 2021 9:55 am 
Randito wrote:
I'm wondering if it's possible to obtain an uphill pass at the seasons pass office @ Summit West.
I think I'll try this once they open. smile.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 08, 2021 9:59 am 
Back in the day they were very accommodating. In the nineties there was a snow drought and the gave a free pass for the next year to all season pass holders. Crystal and Stevens just said TS that’s the bet you make for a season pass. Of course that was before they sold out.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 08, 2021 11:25 am 
I think it's all about numbers. I first started uphill skiing in the area in the '70s after I realized I could hike up faster than waiting in the then 45 minute lift lines on the old "Bonanza" double chair at Ski Acres. Until about 10 years ago the numbers of uphill skiers was very small and frequently personally knew the ski patrol folks. But the numbers have been growing quickly and the last two seasons have exploded. Three years ago -- the Summit started offering "Uphill" classes as part of the Wednesday night Telemark/Randonee skiing classes. We had maybe a half-dozen students the first year Last season there were a couple dozen students in the "Uphill" classes and over 80 in the "downhill" classes. If you are interested -- enrollment in those classes is still availiable and enrolled students are able to purchase a seasons lift pass, including Ulimited and LTD passes which are currently "Sold Out" to non-students. More info here: https://washingtonalpineclub.org/classes/telemark-and-randonee-skiing-class

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostWed Dec 08, 2021 1:58 pm 
kw wrote:
I doubt the processing fee would be waived but maybe they'd accept cash. They aren't particularly accommodating in my experience, there's a good chance they won't even know what you're asking about.
they are trying to limit cash transactions due to covid

CheapSkier

CheapSkier
PostSat Jan 20, 2024 5:55 pm 
Just registered to say that I found this post online. I was searching to confirm that the Snoqualmie Summit has public lands. This year, they're asking for a $50 dollar permit for uphill travel. I want to go there at night, when it's closed. I wouldn't use any of their infrastructure. They still want me to pay $50 to use public lands.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 20, 2024 6:03 pm 
CheapSkier wrote:
They still want me to pay $50 to use public lands.
That's the way it works when land is leased out. They can set the rules.

jaysway

jaysway
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 11:46 am 
CheapSkier wrote:
Just registered to say that I found this post online. I was searching to confirm that the Snoqualmie Summit has public lands. This year, they're asking for a $50 dollar permit for uphill travel. I want to go there at night, when it's closed. I wouldn't use any of their infrastructure. They still want me to pay $50 to use public lands.
You are parking in lots that they plow. You are touring on terrain that they groom, perform avalanche mitigation on, glade, pick up trash from, etc. You might be going at night, but most people that tour on Snoqualmie are going during the day and are potentially using their restrooms or facilities, and if they get hurt will be taken care of by ski patrol. Look, I don't want to pay the $50 either, but these things above are real costs on their part, so it feels reasonable that they are charging for access. As a point of comparison, it costs $50 for a Seasonal Non Motorized Sno-Park Permit and another $70 for a Seasonal Special Groomed Sticker, for a total of $120 for non-motorized use of Sno-Parks with grooming.

solohiker
garyw
Occasional Member

garyw
Occasional Member
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 10:34 pm 
BTW, per the USFS the Nordic Pass Trail is exempt from the ski area's Uphill Travel Policy.

RichP
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 23, 2024 11:58 pm 
The interesting thing about the $50 fee is that back in the '90s Kittitas County tried to assess an "Admission tax" on the sale of lift tickets. Ski Lifts Incorporated contested the tax with the argument that lift ticket was soley for the privelege of using the ski lifts and not for admission to the ski area. Interestingly when you buy a ticket for the Summit Nordic Center it include two rides on the chair lift. I suppose if somebody really wanted to test the waters here they could skin uphill without bothering to obtain an uphill pass and see if ski patrol confronts them. I've done a dozen or so skinning workouts at Summit West since they implemented the "Uphill Pass" -- I've never been approached by ski patrol. I suppose if ski patrol did confront you and told you to leave -- you could try suing -- but I suppose in terms of the Kittitas County addmissions tax issue the simple remedy for the Summit would be to remit the addmissions tax for the $50 uphill passes. I also skin up at Crystal -- 90% of the time the Crystal Ski Patrol stops by on my way up Quicksilver and confirms I have their uphill pass (which is free) But parking for non-season's pass holders Fri-Sat-Sun at Crystal is $20 unless you are a carpool of 4+. On weekends these days the critical issue has become parking. My phone have been blowing up weekend mornings with TXT messaged from the Summit and Crystal about lots being full. Crystal at least offers free shuttle busses from Enumclaw to ease the parking issue. (1 day lift ticket just $189 )

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jan 24, 2024 4:56 pm 
On busy weekend days at Crystal that free shuttle bus is normally full. Yes it is free, but they require you to make a reservation this year (and when I have checked, it is full). The $50 uphill fee at Summit isn't that big of a deal. But I worry that these private equity owned ski areas will soon increase that fee to try to increase their profits. Their USFS lease specifically says they have non-exclusive use. As Randy notes, most ski areas that require an uphill pass are free (like Crystal). The ski areas are plowing the runs regardless so I don't agree with the argument that uphill people should be forced to share in those plow fees. I don't have a problem with uphill rules related to safety (like designated uphill routes and no uphill when avy control work is being done). It's increasing fees that I worry about. If Summit gets carried away and increases their fee much above $50 a year I would like to see someone sue them in Federal Court. There are no similar cases in US history and I think the issue is ripe for judicial review. But I would hope the uphill crowd waits for a case with good facts before they test the legal waters. The ski areas don't set the rules. The USFS doesn't even set the rules (or at least they don't have the final say). It is Congress and the court system that sets the rules.