Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > I-90 Snoqualmie Pass East: Critter Crossings in the Cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Wawhiker

Wawhiker
PostThu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 am 
A fascinating co-operation!

InFlight, rubywrangler, zimmertr, Walkin' Fool, hapemask, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:59 am 
Thank you!

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Dec 08, 2021 7:01 am 
Its a special place for cougars and wolves to hang out and pick off the deer and elk population. up.gif

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Dec 08, 2021 11:14 am 
timberghost wrote:
Its a special place for cougars and wolves to hang out and pick off the deer and elk population. up.gif
So it is like a watering hole? Good for them. I don't begrudge the natural predators their food. They actually need that source of food, its not a "recreational" "sport" for them - it is 100% survival.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 08, 2021 12:18 pm 
timberghost wrote:
I think its more like now the cougars and wolves will have to hunt the deer and elk instead of fighting with the turkey vultures over the roadkill carcases as the semis and other traffic whizz by on I-90.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Dec 13, 2021 7:15 pm 
Wolves do not generally go there and both wolves and cougars do not like overpasses, because they are quite a bit too open for them. Instead, they prefer underpasses.

oldwild

oldwild
PostTue Dec 14, 2021 5:11 pm 
I assume they have cameras on the overpass, do the animals actually use it and which species?

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Dec 14, 2021 5:53 pm 
oldwild wrote:
I assume they have cameras on the overpass, do the animals actually use it and which species?
if you watch the video, you will see lots of animals who cross almost all animals use it, but it is particularly popular with the elk and the deer

Chief Joseph
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 6:50 am 
kitya wrote:
Wolves do not generally go there and both wolves and cougars do not like overpasses, because they are quite a bit too open for them. Instead, they prefer underpasses.
Thats pure speculation, once the westward movement of the wolves increases they will indeed use it like they do on Canada's animal overpasses. They cross where ever they can to get to the other side

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 10:02 am 
timberghost wrote:
Thats pure speculation, once the westward movement of the wolves increases they will indeed use it like they do on Canada's animal overpasses. They cross where ever they can to get to the other side
No it is not just pure speculation. Because I-90 has both underpasses and an overpass and WSDOT monitors animal crossings on both, we can clearly see that some species prefer overpasses and some species prefer underpasses. Predators like wolves and cougars will use what is available, but clearly prefer underpasses. This is why it is critically important to build more of both overpasses and underpasses. It is also unfortunately extremely unlikely that any wolves expansion can happen naturally unless we do something more to help protect them and their habitat. The population of wolves in WA is extremely small, and not expanding for years.

zimmertr
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 10:12 am 
My speculation is that some eastern Washington ranchers affected by the wolf packs would welcome wolf packs expanding into Seattle and it's suburbs. Restrictions on wolf killing is one of those issues where rural folks feel ignored in state politics by the hordes in Puget Sound City.

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 1:19 pm 
kitya wrote:
It is also unfortunately extremely unlikely that any wolves expansion can happen naturally unless we do something more to help protect them and their habitat. The population of wolves in WA is extremely small, and not expanding for years.
You obviously don't keep up with the times. Wa has 26 packs managed by WDFW, the Colville Tribes have 5 packs not managed by WDFW. Four new packs formed in 2020. The state’s minimum year-end wolf population increased by 22 percent and marks the 12th consecutive year of population growth. WDFW spent a total of $1,554,292 on wolf management activities. Consider yourself a bit more educated on wolves in Wa, now.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 1:41 pm 
Randito wrote:
My speculation is that some eastern Washington ranchers affected by the wolf packs would welcome wolf packs expanding into Seattle and it's suburbs. Restrictions on wolf killing is one of those issues where rural folks feel ignored in state politics by the hordes in Puget Sound City.
Oh, poor little white privileged ranches who feel ignored by the government, while being constantly subsidized through public land grazing, water, fire fighting expenditures and agricultural land tax breaks and subsidies. Watch me cry, as I feel so very sad for professional animal murderers.
timberghost wrote:
You obviously don't keep up with the times. Wa has 26 packs managed by WDFW, the Colville Tribes have 5 packs not managed by WDFW. Four new packs formed in 2020. The state’s minimum year-end wolf population increased by 22 percent and marks the 12th consecutive year of population growth. WDFW spent a total of $1,554,292 on wolf management activities. Consider yourself a bit more educated on wolves in Wa, now.
You mean WDFW spend money on wolf murder. WDFW is a disgrace to our wildlife. I'm well aware of wolf numbers. WA wolf packs are tiny and some packs that WDFW counts don't even have a breeding pair. The definition of pack that WDFW uses is just two wolves travelling together. The end of 2020 number was only 22 packs, but only 13 breeding pairs. Just 13 breeding pairs is barely enough to maintain populations, and not grounds for expansion, especially since WDFW are murders and repeatedly murdered wolves, including breeding females. Increases in percentages don't mean much when we are talking about such tiny numbers. As species population of wolves in washington are not yet near where it could be considered safe for long term survival of the species, which is estimated at above 300, while we still have less than half that. And historically wolves were common all over the state, but that ship has sadly sailed.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 3:42 pm 
kitya wrote:
As species population of wolves in washington are not yet near where it could be considered safe for long term survival of the species, which is estimated at above 300, while we still have less than half that.
We have almost two-thirds that 300 number "At least 178 wolves" I believe the count is much higher than that. I know of at least 1 wolf pack that WDFW isn't making public. Doesn't sound like you trust WDFW to manage our wildlife. So, I assume you don't believe the wolf count. If that's true, I'm curious to know why you feel they would fudge the numbers one way or the other.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 3:48 pm 
Obviously to have wolves returned to their estimated Historical range is out of the question otherwise they would be in a lot of the now urban areas. There is a Wolf advisory group that reports to WDFW to give their input. I am sure that no matter what the result of their findings it will never be enough or will be too much to satisfy everyone but its better than nothing. There has been expansion and new packs contrary to some beliefs, so we will agree to disagree on this one.