Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > 580 homes burned in raging wildfire NW of Denver
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostThu Dec 30, 2021 6:44 pm 
I would never have guessed it would still be dry enough for this to happen in very late December. Apparently winds reached 105 mph. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/colorado/articles/2021-12-30/colorado-town-evacuated-by-wind-driven-wildfire

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Dec 30, 2021 7:01 pm 
Dang! this is the year that just keeps on giving weather wise.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Dec 30, 2021 9:34 pm 
I grew up in that area and have a lot of friends on the front range. I talked to a couple this evening: One in Westminister, between Denver and Boulder, said winds were 110 mph+. Most of the fires were burning in a SW to NE pattern, so he was ‘safe’. Another friend, in the foothills SW of Fort Collins, said he could see the glow from the Boulder area. But, there had been almost no wind there all day. That wind pattern is VERY strange! Chinook winds of 50-80+ are not uncommon on the Front Range of Colorado, especially late winter and spring. But, they usually affect a wide swath ….all up and down the front range. According to one friend, the whole area is in extreme drought. They are down 5” of precipitation since August. Temps have been in the 50s and 60’s all month. On top of a very wet spring which provided great grass growth. 500+ homes gone, so far. I saw some photos of a Tesla dealership burning. Temps are forecast to be in the teens, with snow, this weekend.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 30, 2021 11:39 pm 
Seems everyone we know there is ok. Some were packed to evacuate frown.gif but didn’t have to. The Costco received some damage in Superior. Snow predicted for tomorrow, a bit too late. frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gb

gb
PostFri Dec 31, 2021 9:43 am 
From Wildfiretoday: https://wildfiretoday.com/

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 03, 2022 6:21 pm 
RichP wrote:
Dang! this is the year that just keeps on giving weather wise.
More like keeps on taking. I feel fortunate to own a place in a rain forest, so probably don't have to worry <much> about drought, wildfire, tornadoes, hurricanes and I live 1/4 mile from the Stilly but no chance of flooding although Benson Creek borders my property and it can become a raging torrent at times. My biggest concern is a large tree falling, I have many. I feel for those people, especially the timing, holidays, mid winter, what a terrible event. frown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 8:28 am 
Sorry for these peoples loss , especially tough during the holiday season