Forum Index > Trail Talk > Madness down the Middle Fork
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dixon

dixon
PostSun Jan 09, 2022 7:34 pm 
Rode my bike down the Mid Fork today and the conditions are pretty poor in regards to access. There is a narrow track though deep, wet, slushy snow that is wide enough for vehicles but only a few places that have snow beaten down enough to park. Once past the Mailbox TH it becomes narrower and any areas which could be used to turn around were occupied with a parked car which meant returning traffic met head to head with the conga line of cars heading in. Once at the newly named "Champion Beach" you would need to be on foot or via a snowmobile. These conditions resulted in a traffic jam "stalemate" of dozens of vehicles. I saw a few angry exchanges and yelling as folks in low clearance vehicles on summer tires became stuck and made the situation worse. People were reversing in succession for at least a mile until they could turn around, meanwhile another car would show up behind them and the process would repeat. All in all its a disaster at the moment and glad I was on a bike!

HikingBex, zimmertr, pula58, RichP, neek
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jan 09, 2022 11:27 pm 
Oh man, I was wondering about this road. Saw a FB post from I think the State that many of the North Bend trailheads were inaccessible last week. There is a sign out that way saying the road isn't plowed in the winter. Thanks for the report, now I won't be tempted to head out that way any time soon.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com

LukeHelgeson
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jan 10, 2022 1:33 am 
Saw a TR on WTA that mentioned this as well. There's apparently a freshly toasted Jeep out there too. And according to one commenter, fists started flying over the driving situation: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-01-09-6430944362

car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostMon Jan 10, 2022 9:55 am 
On Saturday the county sent a grader and a plow truck up the Middle Fork. They didn't get very far thanks to all the cars blocking the road. No ETA on when it will be cleared. Their intentions are to clear to the Middle Fork TH parking lot. On Sunday a crew consisting of 3 snowcats did make it to Goldmyer and cut up a large amount of blowdown. Road conditions were awful for the most part.

I'm the guy 911 calls.

CascadeRambler, RichP, zimmertr
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jan 10, 2022 2:47 pm 
The morons just parked in the middle of the road at rattlesnake. We showed up for night skiing on the iron horse and it was still bad. No tickets given or towing from what i could see.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jan 10, 2022 2:58 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Saw a TR on WTA that mentioned this as well. There's apparently a freshly toasted Jeep out there too. And according to one commenter, fists started flying over the driving situation: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-01-09-6430944362
eek.gif

neek

neek
PostMon Jan 10, 2022 3:10 pm 
Last few years have been rough on folks, huh? Bike ride around town yesterday was nice. Might venture out next weekend.

tlake

tlake
PostMon Jan 10, 2022 5:52 pm 
Drove up to Mine creek this morning. Looked like something was blocking road about 300 yards past gate. Big truck ahead with with flashing orange lights. Turned back and went home.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jan 10, 2022 11:02 pm 
The Goldmyer snocat trip was to bring in relief supplies to the caretakers and provide a little company. They have enough staples, but fresh food is always appreciated. They've been pretty isolated out there recently. Car68, on December 22, before any snow fell, I talked to a county crew who were clearing debris from the road side. I asked them about plowing the road and they said they don't plow past the couplets, where the last residences are. That's consistent with past years. So I was surprised when they started plowing recently, first to the Mailbox parking pullouts and then to Mine Creek. If they're going to plow, it seems like plowing two lanes would make sense even if they're narrow. That burnt out Jeep is a sad accident. It belongs to a Middle Fork veteran and I just rode up 15 miles up the valley with the owner on January 5. The guess is that a brake line ruptured and the fluid ignited on an exhaust pipe. That vehicle has undoubtedly seen more miles in the Middle Fork than any other. RIP Green Jeep frown.gif
Still going strong on 01/05/2022
Still going strong on 01/05/2022

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

CascadeRambler
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 9:18 am 
Turbo Bummer!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 9:42 am 
puzzlr wrote:
It belongs to a Middle Fork veteran and I just rode up 15 miles up the valley with the owner on January 5. The guess is that a brake line ruptured and the fluid ignited on an exhaust pipe.
Thanks for illuminating us on this. I was afraid it was vandalism. ~z

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 10:06 am 
zephyr wrote:
I was afraid it was vandalism.
Stolen joy ride in the snow was my first thought.

philfort
car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 1:24 pm 
Like Puzzlr said, it was an accident. I spoke with the owner on the phone while he watched it burn. The fire department was dispatched but unable to negotiate the blocking vehicles and snow. But, no one was hurt and he is already planning his next MFK rig. Should be gone today.

I'm the guy 911 calls.

flatsqwerl
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 1:36 pm 
That was a sweet looking Jeep. Definitely a labor of love.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 5:15 pm 
It's CHAINS REQUARRRD these days