Forum Index > Gear Talk > New X-mid Pro 2 tent Released
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dandurston

dandurston
PostSun Jan 30, 2022 3:01 pm 
Hi Ross, Fond memories of the SMD Refuge X. I had one circa about 2010 and I recall your name from Refuge X posts. Either I was reading your comments, or may have even bought mine from you. The X-Mid is stable with just one pole. You can see that at 1:20 here:
So it is very much an option to remove one and leave it standing. Or similarly - to remove both and substitute in one stick. The peak guylines can also be staked out to help arrange things as desired. I personally find the SMD poles a bit flexy for my tastes, but they are light. We're working on some poles that will function better (stiffer, adjustable length) but they will be closer to 3oz. Yes we plan to do an X-Mid Pro 1. It'll take a while, so I expect that perhaps on pre-sale this fall for early 2023 delivery.

hapemask
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jan 30, 2022 4:00 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
But you would need a bit of real estate to set it up since it requires a space 80' x 100". The small footprint feature must apply to the tent floor only.
texasbb wrote:
Its footprint is a bit larger than I'd like, but only the floor part needs to be nice and flat.
RumiDude wrote:
But the required space to pitch is important to me, i.e. the actual footprint.
The more I think about it, the more I realize this tent is a great weight, but as noted it requires some real estate to pitch. Most of the time that would not be an issue, but sometimes it is. And it happens often enough that I would be a bit hesitant to get it. But I can see that this tent has a niche in the ultra-light universe. It looks well made and stable. Additionally it appears to be easy to set-up and has a comfortable interior. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
dandurston

dandurston
PostSun Jan 30, 2022 5:27 pm 
For perspective, here is the footprint of the X-Mid Pro 2 compared to a variety of competing tents. I don't happen to have this done for the Fly Creek in particular (which is smaller), the X-Mid Pro 2 really is a pretty normal size for a 2P tent.

Opus
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jan 30, 2022 11:24 pm 
dandurston wrote:
For perspective, here is the footprint of the X-Mid Pro 2 compared to a variety of competing tents.
I can't speak about some of those tents,but at least a few of them can be pitched by collapsing one or both of the vestibules. I can collapse my vestibules, or alternatively roll the vestibule flaps up, and then it has a 50" wide footprint. This comes in handy whenever I need to tuck in between trees or otherwise fit into tight areas. My tent is about 50"X97" at it's absolute minimum footprint. there have been several times that ability of my tent came in very handy. That has allowed me to go off the trail and camp well away from established campsites when required or desired. and a couple of times I was able to come into a crowded area and find that little postage stamp of a tent site without intruding upon others. I think the utility of any particular tent depends on where and how it is used. Once I have selected a tent I find a way to make it work, even if it is clumsy and/or ill-suited for the situation. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Feb 02, 2022 2:49 pm 
Kudos to Dan for coming on this forum to thoughtfully address member's concerns/questions. He obviously doesn't need to drum up business as these tents sell out in minutes.

I desire medium danger williswall.com

TeeJay, lanzscape, Bowregard
schifferj

schifferj
PostWed Feb 02, 2022 10:12 pm 
As a very happy owner of an Xmid 1P I’ll be (hopefully) first in line for an Xmid 1P pro

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Feb 08, 2022 5:25 pm 
just leave the pole at home just use a stick with these

zimmertr