Forum Index > Gear Talk > boot treatment recommendations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostSat Feb 05, 2022 6:41 pm 
I have a pair of Keen waterproof breathable hiking boots. They're in pretty good shape and are still waterproof. However the leather (or leather-like) parts of the uppers could use a little tlc. Was wondering what is recommended for treatment? Don't want to mess with the breathability. I have some Nikwax TX Direct would that work? Or ???

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 05, 2022 8:28 pm 
Not familiar with Nikwax...but the best leather conditioner (imo) is Obenaufs, pricey but worth it. I have also used Mink Oil for most of my life and I like that as well. I put my boots by the wood stove in order to warm them up for better treatment absorption.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Feb 05, 2022 11:38 pm 
Obenauf's Leather Oil is great.

graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Feb 06, 2022 8:57 am 
For combination fabric and suede/nubuck boots, this stuff works really well. Makes water bead up and roll off both the leather and fabric: https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-Revivex-Protector-Repellent/dp/B000XYWLE6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=BX9N7PCBF77V&keywords=revivex+suede+and+fabric+water+repellent&qid=1644162510&sprefix=Revivex+su%2Caps%2C685&sr=8-1 Your boots need to be clean to get the best results, so you might want to consider this combination pack: https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-Revivex-Fabric-Cleaner/dp/B002HH0PL8/ref=sr_1_2?crid=BX9N7PCBF77V&keywords=revivex+suede+and+fabric+water+repellent&qid=1644162705&sprefix=Revivex+su%2Caps%2C685&sr=8-2 I have Obenauf's and have had good success using it on leather boots, but I'm not sure how well it would work on boots that have combination fabric and leather uppers. I think it might have a negative effect on the Goretex in the fabric areas.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Feb 06, 2022 12:28 pm 
I wear Limmer boots. I use the boot care kits from Limmer. Works great.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
mike

mike
PostSun Feb 06, 2022 2:05 pm 
These boots have goretex or similar lining so I don't want to use any oil or wax. Kinda defeats the purpose. That Gear Aid stuff looks like it would work.

graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Feb 06, 2022 5:22 pm 
mike wrote:
These boots have goretex or similar lining so I don't want to use any oil or wax. Kinda defeats the purpose. That Gear Aid stuff looks like it would work.
I've used the Gear Aid stuff with good results in the past. I tried the NikWax products this past summer with very good results also - specifically this combination: https://www.amazon.com/Nikwax-Nubuck-Waterproof-Spray-DUO-Pack/dp/B003ZZ1CRC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=37KZMRD2XS53P&keywords=nikwax%2Bnubuck%2B%26%2Bsuede%2Bproof%2Bwaterproofing&qid=1644193216&sprefix=nikwax%2Caps%2C353&sr=8-2&th=1 Worked really well on my Salomon Quest 4D 3GTX boots.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 06, 2022 9:41 pm 
Do not know about mink oil heard it softens leather good for gloves bad for boots. Never used it used snow seal, nikwax, bivwel etc. smile.gif now I went light weight. What ever lifts your boat. smile.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
hbb

hbb
PostMon Feb 07, 2022 11:31 am 
mike wrote:
Yeah, I don't get the suggestions for Obeanufs. Using that on anything other than a serious leather workboot makes no sense. Unless your outings involve carrying a Pulaski and an emergency fire shelter, Obeanufs is probably the wrong product.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Feb 07, 2022 3:32 pm 
I thought he was speaking of leather boots, if he had mentioned "Gortex" in the OP, I for sure would not have commented. Didn't know that Gortex was still a "thing".....haven't heard many positive remarks about it here. Obenauf's is still an awesome product, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.