Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 16, 2022 9:16 pm 
Imaginary Peaks by Kattie Ives climbing hoaxes and mythical peaks. Interesting stories with some locals featured. Focused on the Reisenstein Hoax by our local heros.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Jan 17, 2022 11:18 am 
The Premonition - Michael Lewis (The Big Short/Liar's Poker/etc) May be more than anyone wants to know about what was going on behind the scenes in the early days of SARS CoV-2 - the good, bad, and ugly. Like every Michael Lewis book I've read, it's well researched and very good reading.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jan 18, 2022 3:48 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Just finished Brian Jones: The Making of the Rolling Stones, by Paul Trynka.
Just saw your post on this, Kim. Thanks for the extended review. I'm not a huge fan of the Stones but your review made me want to read it. The only other rock bios I've read are Sting's memoir "Broken Music" and a decent bio of Jim Morrison who's author and title I can't recall at the moment. I enjoyed the doc that's still on Netflix about Keith Richards. I've seen the majority of the Netflix rock bios and found all of them interesting. The rock impresario bios, too.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Songs2

Songs2
PostTue Jan 18, 2022 5:12 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Reading the climbing classic "The White Spider" by Harrer, one of the first party to climb the north face of the Eiger.
That's a great book. I read it years ago. Heinrich Harrer subsequently escaped a British internment camp (he was part of Hitler's troops) and made his way over mountain passes (took 2 years) to enter the closed kingdom of Tibet, where he became a tutor to the Dalai Lama, then a child. Seven Years in Tibet. Astonishing.

Kascadia
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Feb 01, 2022 9:47 pm 
I've read House of Suns and Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds but I've been neglecting Revelation Space for a number of years. Finally got around to starting it and I'm finding the Melding Plague and the hermetics in their palanquins as a fun parallel to today's plague-ridden Earth.

Flickr | Strava

GaliWalker
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Feb 02, 2022 5:43 pm 
I Heard the Owl Call My Name, by Margaret Craven. 1967. am I the only person who hasn't read this????? An easy, short read. Well written. Poignant, sad, and at times some nice, warm humor. From wiki summary: Mark Brian, a young vicar, is sent to the First Nations village of Kingcome in British Columbia, home to people of the Dzawa̱da̱'enux̱w tribe of the Kwakwaka'wakw nation (who are given the now-archaic name "Kwakiutl" in the book). His bishop sends him, knowing that Mark is suffering from an unnamed, fatal disease, in order to learn all there is to learn about life including some of life's hard lessons in the time left to him. ...Through various experiences and inter-relationships, Mark learns from the villagers and they from him.... Mark is about to be recalled by his bishop when he hears the owl call his name, which foretells imminent death according to Kwakwaka'wakw belief.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Feb 03, 2022 10:10 pm 
Locked In Time: Animal Behavior Unearthed in 50 Extraordinary Fossils by Dean R. Lomax, Columbia University Press, 2021. Fossil lovers, this book is for you. The author is an internationally recognized paleontologist from the University of Manchester. Each case history is illustrated by Bob Nicholls, a renowned natural history artist who specializes in the reconstruction of prehistoric animals, plants, and environments. More information can be found here Available at the Seattle Public Library. ~z

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Feb 07, 2022 11:40 pm 
A More Perfect Heaven: How Copernicus Revolutionized the Cosmos by Dava Sobel, Walker Publishing Company, New York, 2011. Review here in Goodreads. The story of how Copernicus’s theory of the sun being the center of the solar system versus the Earth (Ptolemy’s earlier account) came to be published and revolutionized astronomy in 16th century Europe. Copernicus was sought out by a German mathematician—Rheticus who encouraged him to publish his work. This story also involves Martin Luther, Pope Paul III, Tycho (Danish nobleman/astronomer), Kepler (German astronomer), and eventually Galileo, an Italian astronomer. Some fascinating history here. I had to read it twice to get more clarity on the events. There’s even a short play in the middle of the book that the author put in to capture the emotions of the era. Available at the Seattle Public Library. ~z

Anne Elk
neek

neek
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 6:46 am 
Homewaters: A Human and Natural History of Puget Sound, by David B. Williams. While everyone knows (or thinks they know) about salmon and orcas, this book also details the history and human exploitation of other critical native species, like rockfish, oysters, herring, geoducks, and kelp. The author spent years working with local tribes and biologists, and the story comes together nicely in this fairly short and easy to read volume. Recommended for all of us who impact and enjoy the Salish Sea.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Feb 14, 2022 2:14 pm 
Three Stones Make A Wall: The Story of Archaeology by Eric Cline. Princeton University Press, Princeton, N.J., 2017. A great overview of the history of archaeology. Illustrated with copious drawings by Glynnis Fawkes. Here's a bit of the Goodreads review: Written by Eric Cline, an archaeologist with more than thirty seasons of excavation experience, Three Stones Make a Wall traces the history of archaeology from an amateur pursuit to the cutting-edge science it is today by taking the reader on a tour of major archaeological sites and discoveries, from Pompeii to Petra, Troy to the Terracotta Warriors, and Mycenae to Megiddo and Masada. Cline brings to life the personalities behind these digs, including Heinrich Schliemann, the former businessman who excavated Troy, and Mary Leakey, whose discoveries advanced our understanding of human origins. The discovery of the peoples and civilizations of the past is presented in vivid detail, from the Hittites and Minoans to the Inca, Aztec, and Moche. Along the way, the book addresses the questions archaeologists are asked most often: How do you know where to dig? How are excavations actually done? How do you know how old something is? Who gets to keep what is found? Available at the Seattle Public Library. ~z

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Feb 19, 2022 1:32 pm 
Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love by Dava Sobel, Walker and Company, New York, 1999. From the jacket: Inspired by a long fascination with Galileo, and by the remarkable surviving letters of Galileo's daughter, a cloistered nun, Dava Sobel has written a biography unlike any other of the man Albert Einstein called "the father of modern physics--indeed of modern science altogether." Here's a review from Kirkus. A little slow at times but overall a fascinating glimpse into 17th century Italy--family life, public health, politics, and the struggle of science versus the grip of religious doctrine. The various discussions of Galileo's observations and discoveries are written and illustrated well. This book is available at the Seattle Public Library.

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostSat Feb 19, 2022 4:34 pm 
"This is How They Tell Me the World Will End" A non fiction novel about the cyber warfare arms race written in a spy thriller style. Very good and relevant read w/ the current Russia & Ukraine conflict

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
neek

neek
PostSat Mar 05, 2022 5:26 pm 
rocknclimb wrote:
Very good and relevant read w/ the current Russia & Ukraine conflict
No kidding. On a less apocalyptic note - Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robinson. Highly recommended even if (like me) you're a bit skeptical of nutrition advice. The book covers the origin story for a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, and explains how to select, store, and prepare them to maximize nutrient content. A few random bits I learned: frozen berries should be thawed quickly to slow enzyme action that destroys vitamin C. Garlic should be cut up 10 minutes before cooking. Carrots are one of the few vegetables better for you after cooking (although, ick), and ideally sliced afterwards rather than before. Curved asparagus indicates less freshness because it was stored on its side and started to grow upwards. Light and dark raisins are made from the same grape but the light ones are treated with sulfur dioxide which makes them retain more phytonutrients. In general darker fruits and vegetables are better, but this is not the case with white peaches and nectarines, which are much better for you than yellow. But perhaps the origin stories (how a plant was discovered and cultivated) were the most interesting parts. Book is not preachy (there's nothing meat-eaters will object to) and doesn't use dumb words like "superfood". Well-researched and written in a clear style by a local (Vashon Island) resident.

graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Mar 05, 2022 6:18 pm 
"Cape to Cowley via Cairo - In a Light Car" by M.L. Belcher. The story of three women (eventually one dropped out) who drove from Cape Town, South Africa north across the continent to Cairo, then by boat to Marseilles, then continued by car to Calais, ferried to England and finished at Oxford. This was in 1930! One of these intrepid women was the mother of my neighbor in Sequim, who has kindly loaned the book to me. ETA: Their journey took six months.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Mar 05, 2022 7:40 pm 
The Fallen Stones, Diana Marcum, chasing Butterflies, Mayan Secrets. Just started.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn