Forum Index > Partners > Glacier NP Day Hikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jonny V

Jonny V
PostMon Feb 21, 2022 6:06 pm 
I will be in Glacier NP from July 1-6. Looking for someone to go on day hikes to an overlook above Iceberg Lake and also The Highline Trail.

There's time to conceive in and time to expire though the time twixt the two tells the tale that transpires - "Time Waits For No One", Ambrosia
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Songs2

Songs2
PostMon Feb 21, 2022 11:54 pm 
That is a bit early for the passes to have melted out, which usually happens by last week in July. Do you specifically plan to snow travel? Beyond Granite Park Chalet on the Highline, the Ahern Drift could pose an obstacle. Later in season, the Shangri-La off-trail route approaches Iceberg Lake from above; one descends on scree slope to the lake. Might try Glacier Mountaineering Society for somebody local to hike with. Blake Passmore's Climb Glacier National Park is an excellent 5-volume resource, if you want to go off-trail. Have fun!

Jonny V

Jonny V
PostTue Feb 22, 2022 8:10 am 
I appreciate the feedback. Wasn’t sure if the snowpack would be an obstacle or not. Thanks.

There's time to conceive in and time to expire though the time twixt the two tells the tale that transpires - "Time Waits For No One", Ambrosia
Songs2

Songs2
PostTue Feb 22, 2022 9:24 am 
It's hard to say. Going to the Sun Road typically opens mid- to end of June. That doesn't mean all the snow is gone. The late June opening dates in recent years may have been occasioned by road work. Logan Pass and the Highline are at ca 6647 ft elevation. Iceberg Lake is at ca 6000 ft. Access is from Many Glacier, and there you may face difficulties in getting into MG without an overnight reservation at campground or lodging. Limited parking. I will send a PM, if you are interested in pursuing.

Jonny V

Jonny V
PostTue Feb 22, 2022 10:05 am 
Feel free to PM me. This will be my first visit to Glacier so I’m very interested in getting to some sweet scenic photo op spots. I’m comfortable on snow, have micro spikes, poles and ice axe if needed.