Forum Index > Gear Talk > Appalachian gear company
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Feb 23, 2022 10:07 pm 
Went through the progression of wearing all wool like a good boy scout back in the day. On to polypropylene, capalin, goretex and all the miracle fibers that the outdoor manufacturers convinced me to buy. At some point it all became overpriced overated a wet plastic disappointment. Somebody (kudos to ?) mentioned this company sometime in the past on this site. They make clothing from alpacas, hats, hoodies etc. Hard to purchase as they were a small manufacturer at first, then finally reached a point to be somewhat easier to shop. So far I have been very satisfied, the hat is very warm, but not so good for windy cold weather. Next I purchased a hoodie. Wore it for most of October, November running around during hunting season. Fairly thin layers well. Takes a beating. Finally scored a crew neck shirt. This is the bomb. Fairly thin but almost too warm... If your looking for outdoor wear in good natural fibers check these guys out. I hope the company doesn't flame out in trying to grow to fast. http://Appalachiangearcompany.com

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Feb 23, 2022 11:24 pm 
I have some alpacka socks from the place on the MLH at the top of sand hill east of Granite Falls. They are amazing quality, thickness and warmth. Don't wear them much except in very cold conditions, but for that imho, they are unbeatable and will for sure outlast me.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Feb 24, 2022 9:18 am 
Wife gave me those socks for Christmas. You are so right, only good for the coldest days.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Feb 24, 2022 2:19 pm 
You can get very thin alpaca socks that are comfortable in the summer. They're not just warm, they're crazy soft which means less blisters.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 24, 2022 2:33 pm 
I wonder how durable they are? I have very rough feet and go through a lot of socks. Tried to "Darn" some with less than stellar results. But I mean most are cheaply made, but not cheap, usually I buy Columbia Sportswear.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 24, 2022 3:52 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have very rough feet and go through a lot of socks
Double Sided Feet Rasp for Dead Skin https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H81YSCV/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_78MG2TPZPPVJPPRHT3F6

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 24, 2022 5:08 pm 
I have tried those and also have a battery operated one that works really well....but the problem persists. I think it is genetic, my Mom dealt with food issues too, dry skin, deep cracks, etc...and her Dad as well, he also had very painful corns on his feet.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Feb 24, 2022 8:39 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I wonder how durable they are?
Most wool clothing wears faster than synthetic. That's just a rule of thumb but true. And that is especially true of alpacka wool. YMMV Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 25, 2022 10:14 am 
The summer weight ones get holy toes quickly.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Mar 13, 2022 10:46 am 
I've seen chiefs feet..still have nightmares..