Forum Index > Gear Talk > sewing advice please - zpacks pack repair/mod
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSat Mar 05, 2022 12:44 pm 
I'd like to replace the front mesh pocket of my arc haul with a solid fabric. I asked zpacks if they would do this for me awhile ago and they said no. So I've played whack-a-mole with tears in the mesh and the repairs have shrunk the pocket to a nearly useless size, while the mesh continues to disintegrate. The pocket is sewed on to the outside of the pack and when I take the stays out I can scrunch the pack up enough to reach the bottom of the pocket with my sewing machine, so it seems feasible to replace without taking the whole pack apart. But I'm not sure about materials and my sewing skills are very rusty. I have not sewed coated fabrics before. Or stretch fabrics much. The pack body is 4.85 oz/sqyd Gridstop Fabric "a grid of white High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) threads for exceptional tear strength, as well as a diagonal woven ripstop. The fabric has a waterproof urethane coating on the inside." I was thinking of using one of these for the pocket. Although this also looks interesting (but $$$!!) Can I just use a universal point needle and polyester thread? The pocket seam is taped on the inside. Do I need to do anything to this? Can I just put new tape over it? I don't rely on the waterproof-ness of the pack so this would be more for reinforcement than waterproofing. Would the sewing be easier with a stretch fabric, or a nonstretch fabric? (The latter would have pleats at the bottom of the pocket) Any other tips or tricks from more experienced seamster/seamstresses would be appreciated. Thanks!
inside
inside

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Mar 05, 2022 2:09 pm 
I sew all sizes of dyneema all the time and just use a universal needle 90/14 and gutermann 100% polyester thread. Ripstop-by-the-roll has some info here on sewing outdoor fabrics. And a lot of other stuff on their DYI search site. That is also a good place to get the fabrics.

rubywrangler
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostSun Mar 06, 2022 10:54 am 
You have great advice there. Should you need a more burly machine, I have an industrial sewing machine. I find it works better than a home machine on tricky fabrics. (I live in Issaquah)

rubywrangler
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostSun Mar 06, 2022 10:56 am 
Also, usually sewing is easier with non stretch, you can stabilize a stretch fabric on your seam lines to make it easier to sew on a non stretch fabric. I'd leave the tape and consider it part of the fabric unless it's loose enough to easily remove.

rubywrangler
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSun Mar 27, 2022 7:44 pm 
Done!

glenoid, jditty, coldrain108, RichP, Randito, meck
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostMon Jul 04, 2022 9:20 am 
I recommend calling sewing machine service in Renton. They will probably know! It's where I bought my Juki industrial. The only industrial machine store I know of in the Seattle area. My machine lifts up (heavy!) And there is a compartment beneath for the oil along with a wick that pulls the oil into the machine. Mine doesn't need additional grease so I'm not sure of what you need.