Forum Index > Gear Talk > sleeping pad leaks only when slept on
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Mar 01, 2022 4:59 pm 
My daughter has an Exped downmat 5 pad with the standard single Exped valve which has repeatedly gone flat for her overnight. We filled it up and dunked it in a tub of water looking for holes (none). Tried soapy water and looked for bubbles (none). We filled it with air and weighted the top of it over multiple nights and it holds air fine but in use it goes flat. This has happened half a dozen times and is getting frustrating for both of us. The only thing I can figure is potentially the valve is getting pressure in such a way as to create a slow leak when she sleeps on it that doesn't happen with weights. The pad is otherwise in very good shape with no patches or repairs and we bought it because while it is heavy for today's ultralight standards (75D ) it should be durable. Has anybody had a similar problem? Any suggestions on how to resolve it?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
half fast

half fast
PostTue Mar 01, 2022 5:38 pm 
I had the exact same problem with the exact same results you mention... Very Frustrating. I was on a week long motorcycle journey and after the third night I had had enough and gave up and found hotels. The only explanation I was given is that I (my body weight) was to big for the mattress I was using. I don't recall seeing any weight limits on them though. I just got rid of that mattress. Maybe try something newer. Hope you find one that works

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 01, 2022 6:27 pm 
half fast wrote:
Maybe try something newer. Hope you find one that works
Or maybe something older. I am using a 3/4 length old orange Thermarest and I really like it. It's really durable but not super heavy. I had a Big Agnes oak street full length pad, it was comfortable but heavy. It got a hole from a thorn while backpacking the Winds, don't put your tent too close to a bush there. Seems like when one goes with lightweight gear one typically sacrifices durability.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Mar 01, 2022 7:15 pm 
I have been using various Exped down mats for about 10 years now and currently have a regular and wide version of the HL winter model. In addition, I have a Exped symat with the same valve that I have used lots of times. I have found that the valves can be finnicky and can leak if not pushed in just right and seated properly. Other than that they have trouble free and I love them. As a side note: I always sleep with them only half inflated so my butt just stays off the ground. I find that gives me the most comfortable lay and they are just as warm.

Bowregard
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostTue Mar 01, 2022 10:16 pm 
I can also attest to the valve not being properly shut even though it appeared to be. Too about 3 deflates before I figured it out and have had no problems since.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.

Bowregard
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 02, 2022 1:08 am 
Have you considered contacting Exped ? https://www.exped.com/usa/en/repairs-usa

Bowregard
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 02, 2022 1:17 am 
MtnManic wrote:
I can also attest to the valve not being properly shut even though it appeared to be. Too about 3 deflates before I figured it out and have had no problems since.
Sounds like my kitchen sink drain....it wasn't sealing so bought a new one....still had to push it in tight to avoid drainage, that worked, but then it was a bear removing it, lol, "First World Problems".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Mar 02, 2022 7:39 am 
Randito wrote:
Have you considered contacting Exped ? https://www.exped.com/usa/en/repairs-usa
Now I feel stupid. I looked it up and bought this in May of 2016 and according to their website there is a 5 year warrantee on the pad (I assumed it was just a year). If I had had checked when we started noticing the problem it would still have been under warrantee. I will contact them and see what they have to say. One of the reasons I bought Exped was the service experience a friend of mine had there. Maybe they will still be willing to help. Thanks for the suggestions

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Mar 02, 2022 8:32 am 
el cheapo air mattress a buck fifty nine goes flat just as I fall asleep. wake up the next morning with a sore spot on my side from the rock I was sleeping on. after that I just tented on the rocks and left the frustrating air thingy home!(lol)

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Mar 02, 2022 1:10 pm 
I called Exped USA who was very helpful. Based on the tests I ran Exped agreed that the issue is a dynamic leak and not a static one (doesn't leak with weight but leaks when sleeping on it) and is most likely coming from the valve area. They asked if the valve had an O-ring around it which I confirmed it did. They indicated that a few of the early versions of this matt were shipped with incorrect or even missing O-rings but since my pad has an O-ring that appeared to fit they suggested I fill the pad with air and push on the sides of the valve while holding it under water to see if I could get it to leak. In looking again at the valve I noticed that the "flapper" retention cord was longer than I expected. When I push the valve plug into the valve it bends the flapper retention cord over and the cord is long enough (3/8") to extend onto the flat valve seat which could potentially cause a leak. So I checked my newest Exped Mat and found that the cord was definitely shorter: New Exped Valve
Old (potentially leaking) Exped Valve
I asked the Exped about it and they said it wouldn't hurt to try to shorten it a little bit. They also offered that if the valve started leaking when I tried to push it sideways they could send me a new O-ring to try or I could send it in to them to see if they could troubleshoot and repair it. After a little thought I think I will: 1. Fill the mat with air and test pushing the valve around while submerged to see it it will start to leak. 2. If it leaks trim the cord and test again. 3. If it still leaks ask them to send me a new O-ring. 4. If it still leaks send it in to see if they can fix it. I need to remember to engage my daughter in each of these steps since by now her confidence in the mat is very low which will not change without evidence that something has changed.

HitTheTrail
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Mar 02, 2022 2:22 pm 
I just checked my Exped mats and all three had flapper retention cords that were long enough to bend over sideways and cause a gap in the valve seal. I now plan to snip a little off each one. This is good info. Thanks for posting up.gif

Bowregard
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Mar 02, 2022 2:45 pm 
I have five Exped mats - Your comment just shook me into realizing I should go check the rest of them - just because they are not leaking now doesn't mean they won't in the future.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Mar 10, 2022 11:23 pm 
Here's the deal: if it unflates its useless! You don't want it to unflate!!! Always want to inflate up good before hand.

ree

ree
PostWed Mar 16, 2022 6:36 pm 
I may have to retire my ExPed after nearly 10 years. The baffling failed so half the mattress is like a long balloon when it's filled. It also leaks. Thanks for the link to repairs. As much as they want their product out of landfills, my faithful gear may end up there anyway. bawl.gif It was a good product considering how much use I got out of it. Another ExPed or a Nemo? I see that Nemo has a lifetime warranty.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 16, 2022 8:20 pm 
We have Nemo’s for lightweight hiking and they have lasted at least 5 years. For car-camping we used some Canadian self inflating pads from MEC which were heavy but comfy on cots. In the camper we just use the factory foam pad as our bodies are adapted to sleeping on granite with a blue foam pad. All we use now seems like luxury.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

ree