Forum Index > Gear Talk > Snowshoe recommendations for big feet?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostWed Mar 30, 2022 2:59 pm 
I really hoped to get the MSR Lightning Ascents but it doesn't sound like they'll fit me with the new binding. I wear men's size 15. Tried emailing MSR about a year ago and never heard back. What other options are there for similar style snowshoes that are designed for bigger feet that you recommend?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 30, 2022 4:03 pm 
I would reccommend going to a physical store and trying them on using the boots you plan on using. Also note that the "Evo™ Ascent Snowshoes" model lists a nominal max foot size of 15M. I would take the footsize range with a grain of salt -- there is a lot of variablity in precisely how big a pair of boots are on the outside for the same foot size. The MSR bindings use straps akin to Voile straps for securing the foot on the snowshoe -- so if your boots are too big for the straps to easily fit around boots -- you might be able to use a Voile strap to give your boot more room. This would be easy to figure out in a store with your boots at hand. Much harder to figure out online.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Mar 30, 2022 4:14 pm 
Randito wrote:
The MSR bindings use straps akin to Voile straps
Not the new Lightning Ascents; they use a weird sock-looking strap thing that definitely isn't designed with large (or small?) feet in mind. I too wear a 15, and am glad I got my Lightnings before MSR gimmicked them. Sorry, no advice for @Bramble_Scramble.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Mar 30, 2022 6:06 pm 
catsp wrote:
From MSR site: "Paragon bindings come with 14-inch heel straps. If your footwear is larger than a Men’s size 14 or Women’s size 12 snowboard boot, our replacement 18-inch straps offer increased length."...
That's not a fix. Changing the heel strap doesn't let a larger foot slide forward so the ball of your foot is properly over the pivot point.
catsp wrote:
Also, I wonder if you could swap in the three strap "TriFit" binding from the MSR Evo Ascent if someone wanted to.
Good question.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostWed Mar 30, 2022 11:05 pm 
I was looking at buying an older model but can't find them. Probably isn't the best idea if I can't get replacement parts. It's hard enough finding boots that fit. I want to get custom boots but they're spendy. For the last few years I've been using Keen Targees but the quality is lacking. Usually have to get a new pair every year. I'm definitely open to other brands of snowshoes if they're up to the same jobs that Lightning Ascents can accomplish. I don't want flatland snowshoes, I already have some old school ones and they're terrible for anything steep.

jenkysc

jenkysc
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 7:21 am 
I purchased these at the end of last year and used them for about 2 months before they broke. I had to use nylon to quick fix it. I tried to reach out to the company to get them warranty repaired. After 3 emails and a couple month later, they finally reached out to me to get them fixed. They were good snowshoes; I like the binding system, but they are also a weak link. These were the TSL symboz hyperflex.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 10:46 am 
Does anyone know if these are the previous Lightning Ascent model/binding or are they an even older model. What size boots did the older binding support?

RichardJ

RichardJ
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 12:05 pm 
I’m pretty sure this model is older than the one in your photo.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 6:41 pm 
I don't know what model you've shown, but my Lightning Ascents, purchased in 2016, do just fine with my size 15 boots. Edit: Mine have three front straps, not two like in your picture.