Forum Index > Gear Talk > Vintage Gear? Your favorite old gear? Gear stories from long ago?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Apr 03, 2022 7:27 pm 
I have this 22 year old Golite umbrella that I just can't part with. It's useful yet I sent it home on my 2002 PCT thruhike. I prefer trekking poles. I traded the umbrella for a hat and sunblock. Ray Jardine had great ideas!!! He inspired me to hike lighter! As it is, it's a marvel with technology for like 25 bucks at Marmot in Bellevue. Designed to separate if blown backwards and be able to be reattached. Great idea Ray! I still have the shirt and shorts I wore on my 1998 AT thruhike. The Columbia shorts were grey but are transparent in the rear said my brother who picked me up at Mt Katahdin. lol.gif I'm not sure if anyone found this interesting but some do appreciate old gear hanging on walls of old gear stores and Army Navy shops. Stuff you don't see everyday... Do "new" stores still display old gear?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Apr 03, 2022 11:53 pm 
I have two old SVEA 123 stoves that I still have yet NEVER use. I have an old BSA canvas ruck and a BSA model Silva compass. Both are from the mid 1960s. Those are my only nods to nostalgia. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Apr 04, 2022 7:52 am 
I still have my original Victorinox Swiss Army knife from Boy Scouts, looks like the current Camper Model (minus a lost tooth pick). Because every boy scout needs a wine bottle cork screw, and a small useless saw. I keep a Victorinox classic in my backpack, 0.7 ounces.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 04, 2022 8:06 am 
I have a brass candle lantern from REI which is cute but weighs a ton I use when the lights go out. Lots of old stoves going back to a GAZ butane stove from the 60’s and a mantle lantern to match I use for canoeing. An old REI “down sweater” warmer than most of todays expedition parkas but only 500 down. Lost arrow pins used for paper weights. Opinel knife from Early Winters.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Apr 04, 2022 9:40 am 
SVEA stove, yep, got one. Asolo Yukon leather "hiking" boots (5 lb. a pair!) Asolo Extreme tele boots, worn once, not a good fit.

Off trail rambler
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 04, 2022 4:18 pm 
I have a soft shell I bought in 2010 and still use a lot. Does that count?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Apr 04, 2022 5:39 pm 
I have a brown eyeliner pencil that I bought in the 1980's that I still use on occasion.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

RayD, I'm Pysht, Anne Elk, Alpine Pedestrian
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Apr 04, 2022 6:54 pm 
I have my Frostline down vest and mountain parka from 1972, still use 'em.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Apr 07, 2022 7:55 am 
I bought a Sierra Designs 2 person tent in the late 70s. That was back when "2 person" could easily fit 3. Hexagonal dome design with a moon shaped zipper in the floor and "chimney" of sorts sewn into the roof. It was a bear to set up because the external ferrules on the three fiberglass poles (heavy) kept catching on the full length sleeves and getting the pole ends into the reinforces cups was tricky. First time out I took it camping and set it on a big tarp on the grass and woke up with a good 3 inches of water underneath me from the rain running down the tent and under the tarp - but inside the tent was bone dry even with the big circular zipper (good learning experience about not extending a footprint beyond the tent floor). Anyway, after a few years of light use the tent got stowed away and moved around but unused for almost 40 years until my daughters started backpacking. I found a North Face Pebble tent for $5 at a garage sale and discovered the 2 aluminum poles exactly matched the length of the fiberglass Sierra tent poles. Add in a third aluminum pole I found and cut down to match, a bit of seam-sealing effort, and they had mid-weight, usable 2 or 3 person tents for their adventures! No vestibule and a bit heavy for today's standards but not bad for $5. They still use them once in awhile today.
Sierra Designs 2:
North Face Pebble:

mike

mike
PostThu Apr 07, 2022 9:07 am 
Moss
Moss
REI A-frame 1974
REI A-frame 1974
real Early Winters
real Early Winters

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Apr 07, 2022 9:28 am 
I had a Jan Sport winter Expedition tent similar to Bowregards in the early 80’s bought at the REI garage sale for like $25 former rental. It had the solid fiberglass poles and a snow entry tunnel. Mount have weighed a ton. I took it to Nepal for trekking. One time I was skiing down Mazama Ridge with it in my Kelly Tioga on wood edged Trak (yeah we were stupid then) skis and fell. The poles on the side of the pack took flight and stuck several feet away like a flight of arrows. This poles would grind into points on the end with wear before they finally broke. The tent finally died after a cat peed on it and the waterproofing came off the floor and fly when we tried to deodorize it.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Apr 07, 2022 9:29 am 
Coleman Lantern #220 1929 (and No- I did NOT buy it new!):
When I was a kid we had a tent trailer and for some reason my father always wanted to have more light than the little electric overhead bulb. So he insisted on lighting a lantern like this one inside the trailer. He was not very "handy" or mechanically inclined and I swear every time he did it there was a huge flame up that almost created a fire. Mom and I learned to go outside since he never would listen to her advice to light it outside first.

Navy salad
mike

mike
PostThu Apr 07, 2022 9:31 am 
traction
traction

Ski, seawallrunner, Cyclopath, Bowregard
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostThu Apr 07, 2022 6:04 pm 
Dana Designs Arcflex Alpine backpack from the early 1990's. Of all the backpacks I have had over the years, it was the most comfortable to use. Until some of the non removable internal frame plastic parts cracked due to age, making it not carry a load well and become uncomfortable. Dana Designs had long been out of business by the time the internal frame part broke, otherwise I might have tried to get it fixed. Someone mentioned a candle lantern. I have one tucked away somewhere that my grandmother bought me a long time ago. Some old school snow shoes that my dad bought at a military surplus store. There is a trip report somewhere on NWHikers with a picture of me with the snow shoes. At the moment I don't remember who wrote the TR, but I remember going on the hike with Dane, Dacker, Silly Traveler and one other person.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
ScottP

ScottP
PostThu Apr 14, 2022 5:13 pm 
Raichle Montagne leather boots. I climbed the west ridge of Prusik in these, having accidentally left the rock shoes in the car. I used them through the original sole and a Dave Page resole.

mike, Brucester