^^^WOW!!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostWed Feb 16, 2022 8:59 pm 
First of season Rufous hummer at the feeders today - a full month ahead of normal arrival date!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Mar 26, 2022 5:33 pm 
Almost positive I saw a pair of wood ducks at Hidden Lake at Boeing Creek Park today. Never seen them there before, in a lot of trips over a lot of years. There was only one pair of mallards, maybe most of them are sitting on nests. I don't know all of my ducks, there are a bunch of a smaller type of diving duck that stay far away from the little beach area where people are. Buffleheads or goldeneyes?

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Apr 18, 2022 5:32 am 
A Wood Duck from two weeks ago for olderthanIusedtobe:
And a couple from yesterday:
Robin in our Weeping Cherry tree
Robin in our Weeping Cherry tree
Cardinal
Cardinal

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Apr 18, 2022 4:30 pm 
Thanks Gali. Too bad a cardinal is not an option for seeing around here. Glad I saw a few on visits to my brother in Ohio.

GaliWalker
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Apr 18, 2022 4:44 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Too bad a cardinal is not an option for seeing around here.
I think a Wood Duck is cooler. I waited 11 months to get that photo above. I'd always ignored ducks until someone excitedly told me that they'd seen a 'Wood Duck". After doing a quick image search for them, that very day and the one after I went in search of one at our local lakes/wetlands, and actually managed to see one. However, my photo wasn't particularly satisfying to me, and I kept my eyes pealed for them. For nearly a year I saw none close enough to get a nice photo of, until this one pictured here.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
neek

neek
PostMon Apr 18, 2022 4:54 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
I think a Wood Duck is cooler. I waited 11 months to get that photo above. I'd always ignored ducks until someone excitedly told me that they'd seen a 'Wood Duck". After doing a quick image search for them, that very day and the one after I went in search of one at our local lakes/wetlands, and actually managed to see one. However, my photo wasn't particularly satisfying to me, and I kept my eyes pealed for them. For nearly a year I saw none close enough to get a nice photo of, until this one pictured here.
You could see so many of them up close around here! They hang out at Juanita Bay (along with a lone mandarin duck), around Marsh Island, and at many local ponds and lakes, including the little detention pond behind our house. There is also a Eurasian wigeon that hangs out at Matthews Beach, and probably a lot of other cool birds I don't know about. It's tempting to invest in a fancy zoom lens just for the ducks.

GaliWalker
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Apr 18, 2022 5:39 pm 
About the only thing cooler than a Wood Duck has to be a Mandarin Duck. I would love to see one!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Apr 18, 2022 6:33 pm 
As well as the aforementioned Mandarin duck, there's also a lone one somewhere in the Portland area. I see pictures of both frequently on a birders group on Facebook. Both are celebrities. For me, I'd really like to see some more warblers. I see Wilson's occasionally, like those little guys. On the same Facebook page I'm constantly seeing pics of Townsend's, yellow rumped, black throated gray, and common yellowthroat. They're around. I've never seen any of them. All beautiful with distinct and striking markings. Maybe I would need to be more dedicated, learning calls, carrying binoculars, etc. I used to have a Wilson's show up in my backyard, but it's been years since it has appeared. I would also really like to see an acorn woodpecker. I don't know about here in Pugetopolis, but around Portland and it seems as though they're fairly commonly seen around Catherine Creek area in the Gorge, a little east of White Salmon where I grew up and where my folks are still at. I've hiked there several times, haven't seen them.

GaliWalker
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Apr 18, 2022 7:08 pm 
Just last week I saw a Banded Kingfisher (female) near some wetlands close to our house. I couldn’t get a clear shot, but I thought it was a beautiful bird.

olderthanIusedtobe, Anne Elk
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 09, 2022 8:30 pm 
This probably should go in the Animals thread, but I thought it might be appreciated here. Apparently this is a House Finch confronting (bravely I might add) a young Red-Shouldered Hawk. Supposedly by being so close to the hawk, the larger predator won't attack. That's anecdotal so I don't know if it's true or this is just a brave finch in a rare encounter. Still a cool photo nonetheless. Sorry no real details. It came from a random blog. ~z

Anne Elk, olderthanIusedtobe
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon May 09, 2022 9:20 pm 
Wow, cool zephyr. I've been seeing pictures lately on a facebook birders group of red winged blackbirds attempting, and sometimes succeeding in driving off great blue herons. GBHs are voracious and will each pretty much anything, and are probably more than 10x the size of the blackbirds.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon May 09, 2022 9:23 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Banded Kingfisher
Belted maybe? Heard/saw one one near a creek when I was visiting my brother in Ohio, near Dayton. They are frequently encountered near any kind of water here in the Puget Sound area. Quick look online, appears they occur in most of the U.S.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue May 10, 2022 9:57 am 
Yeah, looks like you're correct, "belted kingfisher", not "banded kingfisher". (I could have sworn I saw "banded kingfisher" in my birds of Pennsylvania book...nope, my book has "belted" too.)

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostTue May 10, 2022 3:07 pm 
Yep, Belted Kingfisher. There are two other kinds of kingfishers in the continental US, but you’d have to visit Texas to see them.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln