Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Proposal: Decomm Higgins & Round trails
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 12:37 pm 
We knew it'd come to this, and so here we are: Pg 17 of the Scoping letter proposes decommissioning these trails. Other recreation enhancements might be cool; more beginner bike trails on North Mtn. Not sure creating official camping at Texas Pond and Twin Bridges is sustainable. It will probably all be wrecked in short order. But I guess they have to try something, given the entire project is for the benefit of fish.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 1:10 pm 
Here's what the NCCC says about this in the Spring/Summer 2022 newsletter (page 11) "Continuing with the seemingly Lewis Carroll-inspired nature of this proposal on page 17 [of the North Fork Stillaguamish Landscape Analysis scoping letter that Kim posted], NCCC concedes to scratching its head over the proposed trail decommissioning of the Mount Higgins, Myrtle Lake (spur), and Round Mountain trails. If the Forest Service has ever proposed decommissioning a foot trail on the MBSNF without otherwise re-routing it, we are not aware of it. This element is strikingly incongruous with the remainder of the proposal, and suggests that the agency has in mind discouraging a certain user group of note (hikers) from the Finney Block in order to get down to the business of more logging without “206’ers” and the like raising a stink about it. The Forest Service’s stated intent to “restore disturbed areas to a more natural state” along these trail corridors, juxtaposed with the agency’s sanguine outlook towards nearly 500 miles of roads in the project area, is truly dark comedy. NCCC supports traditional, non-motorized recreation where it doesn’t degrade ecological systems and wildlands character, but is not in the trail-defense business. Still, this is frankly weird, and someone needs to say it. Note that the Mount Higgins trail possesses some historical merit, as the access to a long-gone 1926 lookout and old stomping grounds of the likes of the late Walter Higgins and Sam Strom." I'll be sad if that trail ends up disappearing but I think there are other trails that have been left behind without rerouting, although they weren't actually decommissioned. Two that come to mind are the Rainy Creek and Red Mountain trails in the Middle Fork. Neither of those are officially in the USFS trail inventory any more and maintenance is at the whim of volunteer trail angels.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 6:28 pm 
My feeling is it is more a private property issue and some aggressive property owners that caused this. It is a great short trail leading to a fantastic view. A type of trail we have few of any more.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 8:45 am 
Does the trail cross private property, or people wanting a public trail as their own private trail?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 10:15 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
My feeling is it is more a private property issue and some aggressive property owners that caused this.
It is part that; also it's a lawless area because they know it's too far for any DNR officer to patrol; there are only 2 in the whole region. The sheriff can't do it all either, and there's no USFS LEO in that area. Though I have solo hiked there a few times in the past, I wasn't keen on going solo even before the landowner shut the gate; and he shut it because of the ne'er do wells; he contacted DNR time and again about the creeps up there, but they didn't do much, if anything; shutting the gate was all the guy could do, and while I"m not sure DNR said OK, they didn't say no, either. The landowner didn't have a problem with hikers, and unfortunately the trip reports on WTA badmouth the guy - I wish that stuff were edited out. The creeps were the problem. And there were creeps up there, at the trail head, and living in a creep camp at Myrtle Lake - they actually terrorized some hikers at one point. I would really really like that trail to come back. The trail is drop-dead gorgeous; old growth, the giant boulder field, the huge meadows, the summit.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert