Forum Index > Gear Talk > Permethrin and Fish
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OwenT

OwenT
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 8:57 pm 
I’ve been using permethrin for a few years and I told my cousin about it so he got some from me to treat his clothes but he’s going to be working in water with fish and we want to know if that’s not a good idea. I know permethrin is toxic to fish but once it’s been applied to clothes and dried is it the same?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 9:45 pm 
Not sure about it being safe for the fish, I would think not. I have tried the stuff and I am convinced that it does not work well or at all to repel bugs.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Apr 23, 2022 10:46 pm 
As far as I know, permethrin is not toxic to fish directly. But if it gets into the water it kills insects and that is fish food. Permethrin doesn't repel insects like mosquitoes, ticks, flies, etc. It kills them and before they die they can be immediately affected by it and basically become less and less functional, hopefully before they administer their bite. Permethrin is used on humans to treat against lice and scabies. It is often what exterminators use for ant, termite, and other insects infestations in buildings. Additionally it is used as a pesticide for some farming applications. I have witnessed ticks on my treated clothing look like they are drunk and then stop moving and fall off. Of course there are lots of variables that affect its effectiveness. I have deemed it effective enough to have my clothing treated professionally each year. YMMV Rumi EDIT: I just Google it and it is toxic to fish, but the required amount to be harmful is in dispute.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Apr 24, 2022 9:21 am