Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSat Feb 12, 2022 10:08 am 
A friend just got this mid-drive Giant and likes it - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/talon-eplus-3-2022 Seems like lots of good choices in that general price range. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Feb 19, 2022 11:43 am 
I have gone thru many of the posts to get some idea about people's experiences with E bikes. Here is mine. I had been toying with the idea of getting one for some time. Prices were always a concern. Good bikes were really expensive, and I was not sure of the quality of the cheaper ones. One day I found out a friend of mine bought the components and put his own together. He had one that he would sell me. I bought a new battery for $260 or so and his bike with all the other stuff for $400. The bike is a Surly Cross Check and seems to be a good sturdy bike. He puts the motor on the front wheel, and it has the old caliper brakes, so no long downhill
grades. I just wanted a bike for around town, and this seems t fit the bill. You might consider this as an alternative. Another nice thing about my deal is that if anything needs fixing, my friend is always around to do the job. I buy the parts and my friend a lunch.

Chief Joseph, Cyclopath
neek

neek
PostSun Feb 20, 2022 9:09 am 
^ I like the DIY attitude. My wife's 15 year old Crosscheck is still running strong. On the other end of the spectrum, I like the idea of this mid drive motor with internal automatic 7-speed transmission. Didn't make sense until I realized the cranks aren't directly connected to the front sprocket. To me this seems like possibly better design than putting the gears in or on the rear hub. No derailleurs, no shifters, belt drive...will be fun to see reviews for bikes that adopt this platform.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 20, 2022 11:34 am 
Cross check is a great bike!

Dick B

Dick B
PostSun Feb 20, 2022 5:23 pm 
I read in one of the previous posts that front mounted motors may cause failure of the front yoke. Does anyone out there know if this is a serious problem, and under what conditions is this likely to happen? I assume it would be when the motor has a lot of load put on it like climbing a hill or such. I will just be using mine on mostly flat terrain, and in pedal assist mode.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 20, 2022 9:36 pm 
You may want to put a torque arm on it if that's what you're asking. See FAQ: https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/torque-arms.html

Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Feb 21, 2022 12:21 pm 
Tom. Thanks much for the link. Yes, that is exactly what I was asking. Sorry to have referred the front fork as a yoke. I checked my bike, and my friend did install a torque arm as shown. All seems nice and tight. I assume I am safe from my front wheel falling off. Do the cheaper
E bikes have this safety feature? I really appreciate this forum. I learn a lot of stuff and it's fun to contribute now and then.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 21, 2022 12:41 pm 
Yes, they are pretty common in hub drives.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 11:59 am 
For all the e-bikers here who might not have seen it, I'm reposting this WDFW announcement that member Ski posted on 4/22 in the Public Lands Stewardship section in the WDFW News Releases thread: Friday April 22, 2022 16:51 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE WDFW, DNR seek public feedback on electric-assist biking on state-managed lands Public invited to attend May 12 and 18 virtual public meetings, complete online public survey OLYMPIA – The Washington departments of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and Natural Resources (DNR) are seeking public input on electric-assist bicycling, or e-biking, on WDFW and DNR-managed lands as part of a process directed by Senate Bill 5452, a bill that passed the state Legislature in 2021. Members of the public are invited to two virtual public meetings scheduled for 12:30 to 2:00 p.m., Thursday, May 12, and 5:30 to 7:00 p.m., Wednesday, May 18. The departments are also taking public feedback through an online public survey, available in English and Spanish, through Friday, July 15. WDFW and DNR will report findings from this process in a report to the Legislature by Sept. 30, 2022. These findings will inform future processes for local decision making about the use of e-bikes on WDFW and DNR-managed lands. “E-bikes are increasingly popular in Washington state and across the country,” said Heide Andersen, WDFW recreation planner. “Public input and research on best practices will guide how we manage e-biking on state-managed lands while protecting wildlife, habitat, cultural, and tribal resources.” “DNR is working in close collaboration with our partners at WDFW to ensure our e-bike policies are closely aligned and consistent. DNR values public input on e-bikes and will use public comments to craft common sense polices that enrich recreational opportunities for all public land users,” said Andrea Martin, Statewide Recreation Manager for DNR. DNR and WDFW currently allow e-biking on roads and trails open to motorized vehicles. Visitors carrying a valid Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) parking placard for their vehicles can use class 1 and 2 e-bikes on all trails and roads where bikes are allowed. More information about the different e-bike classes is available on the land managers’ websites. For more information about this e-bike process, details to join the May 12 and May 18 virtual meetings, and to complete the online public survey, visit wdfw.wa.gov/ebikes or dnr.wa.gov/ebikes. Members of the public who have limited or no internet connections may call the Wildlife Program Customer Service Desk at 360-902-2515 to request a print version of the survey. Written comments may be mailed to: Wildlife Program Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife PO Box 43200 Olympia, WA 98504 - WDFW -

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Cyclopath
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 1:00 pm 
thanks. bike people need to get ahead of this one before unknowing bureaucrats in Olympia start writing all kinds of rules. curious as to where EMBA is on this at present. that essay by Philbug was rather interesting, particularly in light of his own background. HERE: https://www.skitalk.com/ams/an-open-letter-to-all-mountain-bikers-why-cant-we-all-just-get-along.127/

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 3:19 pm 
It's not bureaucrats that worry me. The mountain bike lobby wants ebikes delegated to motorized areas so that's what they'll lobby for.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 8:37 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Public invited to attend May 12 and 18 virtual public meetings, complete online public survey
Thanks for posting this! Do you have info on how to do either of these, the survey or the meeting?

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Apr 26, 2022 11:11 am 
Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance is the largest mountain bike organization in Washington State and does advocacy throughout the state. I wouldn't say that they only want ebikes on motorized trails and instead say they would like to "introduce eMTB access on non-motorized trails in locations where the new technology may be appropriate." Their ebike page below explains their position and also has a map of where you can legally ride your ebike on trails, as well as instructions for how you can advocate for more ebike access. I think Evergreen does a good job of balancing the issue. Lots of their members are ebikers and they understand in the future, even more mountain bikers will convert to ebiking. With that said, mountain bike organizations have spent decades lobbying for access and trying to convince hikers and the legislature that mountain bikes should not be put in the same classification as gasoline powered dirt bikes. A lot of the arguments they make are negated if someone is riding an ebike so it is a delicate subject. https://www.evergreenmtb.org/ebikeaccess

Cyclopath
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Apr 26, 2022 11:16 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Do you have info on how to do either of these, the survey or the meeting?
https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/wdfw-dnr-seek-public-feedback-electric-assist-biking-state-managed-lands wdfw.wa.gov/ebikes dnr.wa.gov/ebikes

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 03, 2022 6:05 pm 
altasnob wrote:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/wdfw-dnr-seek-public-feedback-electric-assist-biking-state-managed-lands wdfw.wa.gov/ebikes dnr.wa.gov/ebikes
Anybody know what happens to feedback from Oregon residents?