Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > STP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Apr 29, 2022 4:12 pm 
Has anyone else signed up for the bike ride to Portland?

Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 29, 2022 7:33 pm 
Are you doing one day or two? smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 29, 2022 7:51 pm 
One may ride the route anytime and if you go anytime other than the STP weekend you won't have to wait in long queues to pee. Of course you'll need to be able to fix a flat and otherwise keep your bike working without support. AMTRAK Cascades is a straight forward way of getting back to Seattle with your bike, fare is typically under $40 including the $5 bike fee. But as one friend has noted, unless you've ridden STP with 10,000 of your closest friends, you haven't really done the STP.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 6:52 am 
My goal is to do the ride in one day. Having done it now ten times in a day I know what I am getting into. For sure it is a long day and confronting the tedium is a challenge in addition to the physical hurdle. But I really like getting the 1-day patch in the chute at the end of the ride. I was never a Boy Scout so I missed out on all of those patches given out earlier for most people. If you don’t want to pedal the 206 miles you can get the patch here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/154715839452?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2405c85bdc:g:g7kAAOSwxhhhknIh&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA4D4DhsNYdU2iJkhh0WkHHrpa2PNq6OY903BDSM5SZmDoiJ33rInZX2DTeBh2RcCzSjKlgrQRhsveDVkyHaXaV7qubwJtDuzZ1UJBKbiDdRnqsKyje8Vcz0CwdjrDnAe6yjbzHuwUOo6QV1c5bTjW%2FOQAhBsHXdqlTlUHcW9LfnTYJD7aFIHbGLmG5jvhAPO97goi3MxNe4eVc1OQzKyeFnaXosdjMw%2BNJ7zfsJ%2FFlO1n2dSmayDNOKbSTW03poKNua8%2FImDv17cqYy7yVAau%2FBp7xNWNoPjHdROBn84zYxNs%7Ctkp%3ABFBMzp3jrI9g

Brucester, Cyclopath
neek

neek
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 6:11 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
My goal is to do the ride in one day. Having done it now ten times in a day I know what I am getting into. For sure it is a long day and confronting the tedium is a challenge in addition to the physical hurdle.
Swore I'd never do another Cascade ride, but maybe 1-day is in order (did 2-day in 2006), and I'm sure the ~1000 who do that spread out pretty quickly. Would you say most of your time is spent in a pace line (even though that's discouraged)? That would make it not too daunting. Stopped by my grandma's for stuffed cabbages last time. Unfortunately she's no longer with us.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 6:23 pm 
I usually spend only 20% of my time in a pace line. It certainly reduces the wind resistance. My goal is to be leaving the halfway point in Centralia by 12 noon. My first stop is at the 60 mile rest stop. I make four stops along the way mainly to reload my Camelback. The key for success is to remain hydrated. If you aren’t making urine at the rest stops then you are becoming dehydrated with decreased efficiency and increased lactic acid fatigue.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 8:10 am 
The weather was perfect with overcast skies keeping the temperature down. Came through the finish line chute at 8:00 PM.

Alpine Pedestrian, reststep, hikerman, half fast, RichP, Cyclopath, neek
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 8:59 am 
I can't believe you keep doing this. I am amazed at your tenacity! Great on you! Stefan

Art is an adventure.
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 10:41 pm 
Missed this thread before I did it. A one day ride is much sparser than the two day, so there are no lines at the rest stops or waits for the johns. Also the riders in this leading group usually know what they are doing, so no erratic bike riding. Overall a much different experience than the 2 day. We (myself and a buddy and his daughter) came in after Mike at about 8:45.

I desire medium danger williswall.com