Forum Index > Gear Talk > Garmin's "up ahead" feature
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 07, 2022 5:17 pm 
I'm hoping some folks in here have used this and can comment on his useful it is in practice? I understand you need to plan a route ahead of time and embed waypoints in it, then follow that route, in order to use this. While I'm awaiting my new toy I wonder if people are finding the sense of context worth the time investment?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 09, 2022 8:42 am 
IDK, but the RideWithGPS app on my Android handset provides audio turn by turn instructions when following planed routes. I find it works pretty well. The RideWithGPS app on my handset supports the heart rate monitor I have and would support a cadence sensor should I want to measure that. With the "battery case" I have on my handset, having enough power for all day rides is not a problem. My wife has a Wahoo bike computer which she got as it was required for a training course. Observing what this bike computer is able to provide and the number of technical glitches I end up solving for her. I find myself completely unmotivated to use anything other than my Android handset for bike routing and workout tracking.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 09, 2022 10:46 am 
Ok? This is a hiking question about a watch.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon May 09, 2022 8:14 pm 
Note sure what "up ahead" is, but like Randito I like turn-by-turn on my bike (Wahoo) via RideWithGPS. But hiking? Waypoints are plenty.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 09, 2022 10:48 pm 
While cycling a 400K a "7-11" up ahead can really nice. Given how few amenities and trail intersections there are while hiking in the Western states, I'm not seeing much value add. Now if you were hiking the Camino Santiago in Spain "bar in 1km" up ahead notification might be welcome.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 10, 2022 10:56 am 
I shouldn't have asked for info on a Luddite forum.

hikerman
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 10, 2022 12:48 pm 
A luddite would express discust for using anything other than paper maps, compass and perhaps an altimeter.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 11, 2022 10:39 am 
Randito wrote:
IDK, but the RideWithGPS app on my Android handset provides audio turn by turn instructions when following planed routes. I find it works pretty well. The RideWithGPS app on my handset supports the heart rate monitor I have and would support a cadence sensor should I want to measure that. With the "battery case" I have on my handset, having enough power for all day rides is not a problem. My wife has a Wahoo bike computer which she got as it was required for a training course. Observing what this bike computer is able to provide and the number of technical glitches I end up solving for her. I find myself completely unmotivated to use anything other than my Android handset for bike routing and workout tracking.
The cure for being unconformable around technology is to become curious.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 11, 2022 11:26 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
The cure for being unconformable around technology is to become curious.
I'm plenty curious and I do know my way around technology. I can say with high confidence that you have used software written by me. I also know how the marketing types in technology firms try to instill FOMO into customers to motivate them to upgrade to the latest version of their gadgets , whether the new features really add value or not. For cycling, where there is significant overhead in stopping to review a map , automated cues have value. For hiking , I think the value is substantially less. If you are trail running, particularly if it's a race or you are trying to set a FKT or even a personal best there is more value is such a feature.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 11, 2022 12:40 pm 
It's ok for you to be intimidated by technology if that's the way you want to approach life. I've learned not to ask about anything that was invented after 1980 here and I've found other places where people are able to share useful information. Everything is good. smile.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 11, 2022 12:58 pm 
For anybody else though, the topic of this conversation is a feature that tells you how far each water source is from you. To give you a better sense of context. I'll post an example when I've had more time to experiment.

brewermd

brewermd
PostWed May 11, 2022 7:02 pm 
Perhaps that info could have been stated in the original post and then the pissing contest could have been avoided. Also, not a luddite, I have owned Garmin's of one sort or the other since the 90's, using a Garmin watch at this point.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 11, 2022 10:35 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
It's ok for you to be intimidated by technology if that's the way you want to approach life.
It seems you didn't really comprehend what I wrote in my post. I'm not intimidated by tech at all , in fact I've invented some of the technology that you use. One doesn't need to adopt ever new gadget or update just because the marketing department wants you to. For example I don't use a "speedometer" type gadget on my loaded touring bike that I use for long distance tours. I find a MPH readout a distraction from enjoying the sights and sounds along the journey. I do however track my rides with my GPS handset and also use the audio navigation feature so I'm relieved of the details of navigation by paper map. But the handset generally has the display turned off, both to conserve battery and so I'm not missing the scenery (and the hazards) staring at the display. If you are trying to cover a route at a brisk pace , having guidance conveniently presented on a wrist display could be useful. If that's your cup of tea.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 12, 2022 9:09 am 
brewermd wrote:
Perhaps that info could have been stated in the original post and then the pissing contest could have been avoided.
Let's think this through together: 1 I'm asking for people to share their experience using this specific tool so I'll know what to expect from it. 2 People who don't know what the tool is don't have experience with it to share. That's why I decided against explaining it. I'm not asking for opinions from people who haven't used it. 3 Randy was really high and felt like babbling about some of the things he couldn't figure out. This has no thing to do with anything and was rude.

hikerman