Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How to Get a Free Fitbit or Apple Watch From Your Ins
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 19, 2022 7:20 pm 
"Free" https://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-a-free-fitbit-or-apple-watch-from-your-insur-1848937750/amp Many health insurance companies offer some kind of discount on fitness trackers, in some cases up to the entire purchase price. Insurance companies are not charities and do this in part to encourage better health for the sake of paying fewer claims, and in part to get your data which you shouldn't take lightly. That said, if this interests you, check your policy and look at the details.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 19, 2022 7:55 pm 
About 6 years ago the bare bones health plan at the start up I was working for included a "step tracker" device as part of the plan and they provided three daily incentive goals: 1) 10,000 steps per day 2) A 30 minute period of active walking 3) 6 separate active periods of at least 5 minutes during the course of the day. Each daily goal met resulted in $1 being added into the HSA for the plan. We were living in NYC at the time, so hitting the daily goals was pretty much automatic. I had many days with more than 35,000 steps. One could also choose to share your step data with the other folks in the company. My wife and I were consistently at the top in terms of step count and all the other goals compared to the Seattle and various remote location people, except that one guy that ran around Greenlake every morning and did "long runs" on the weekend.

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 20, 2022 9:10 am 
Randito wrote:
One could also choose to share your step data with the other folks in the company. My wife and I were consistently at the top in terms of step count and all the other goals compared to the Seattle and various remote location people, except that one guy that ran around Greenlake every morning and did "long runs" on the weekend.
I worked at a place that had a contest like that. Office was in Lynnwood, one poor guy commuted from Enumclaw. The last Friday of the contest he walked home. No one will ever beat his record.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 20, 2022 9:24 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I worked at a place that had a contest like that. Office was in Lynnwood, one poor guy commuted from Enumclaw. The last Friday of the contest he walked home. No one will ever beat his record.
That's like 60 miles... skeptical that he walked home after his shift and got there before midnight. A friend of mine is a bit of a fitbit fanatic -- he loves how many "steps" he gets riding the graveled Snoqualmie Valley Trail on his rigid fork bike. I wore one for a while -- using my 20 volt oscillating tool on tasks would really rack up the "steps"

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 21, 2022 10:36 am 
Randito wrote:
skeptical that he walked home after his shift and got there before midnight
Nobody said he got home before midnight, that's why he started on a Friday. smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 21, 2022 11:31 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Nobody said he got home before midnight, that's why he started on a Friday. smile.gif
So the deadline for the contest was a lot like Microsoft deadlines set for EOD Friday -- you have the whole weekend to finish the work by Monday morning before "its late".

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jul 01, 2022 4:16 pm 
Lots of insurance companies will pay the full cost for your gym membership (or at least they used to -- I haven't been since Covid hit), so this is really the same logic. I like it when insurance companies actually recognize that encouraging more exercise lowers their claims payouts by more than enough to cover the cost of the gym memberships (or fitness tracker).

Cyclopath