Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Summit at Snoqualmie development plans
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 21, 2022 8:59 pm 
The Summit acquired the Mountaineers Snoqualmie property few years ago. It lies between West and Central. A large amount of employee housing could be built there. The summit might do that -- or develop a bunch of McMansion ski houses like has been done behind "The Commonwealth" https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/102-Guye-Peak-Lane-Snoqualmie-Pass-WA-98068/61115335_zpid/?utm_campaign=androidappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dixon

dixon
PostMon May 23, 2022 6:16 pm 
kw wrote:
is there any suitable land Boyne owns that they could use? The whole area is a bit of a mess of land ownership
I tried to buy land up there a few years before the pandemic and there were lots of plats available. In fact, from 2016-2019 there was little demand for land/housing up at the pass outside of wealthy folks with second homes. I didnt end up buying as from talking with contractors, King County was causing headaches for builders. Most sellers had been trying to get plans approved for 2-3 years and eventually gave up due to red tape. Bryce Phillips owner of Evo has since formed a new company and has been buying up and flipping residential land and also just opened the "Firehouse" co-working space with a coffee shop and Evo store with plans to build a spa and more luxury housing similar to those Randito mentioned behind the Commonwealth. There's also a large parking lot at both Hyak and Alpental that could be used for housing but Boyne will likely prioritize parking spaces for paying guests. There's ~16 acres for sale in nearby Easton that could also be an option. In reality I'm not sure how much Boyne care to invest in solving this problem. From reading the Summit 2030 plan they're investing in technology e.g. RFID and automation to reduce reliance on staffing. I hiked Denny Mtn a few weeks back and took a walk around the office building at Alpental and noticed that the entire roof is held up by two adjustable support pins so it appears the building is subsiding? If this is the case they likely have significant upcoming maintenance costs and employee housing is the least of their worries.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 24, 2022 10:02 am 
dixon wrote:
behind the Commonwealth.
Note that that area lies is Kittitas county -- I suspect the building permit process is less complicated and quicker in a county with 47,000 residents compared to a county with 2.225 million ( 47x ) Even with the overhead of the building permit process here in King county -- there is an amazing amount of construction activity -- Within a mile of my places there a a half dozen "reconstruction" projects underway -- were a modest mid-century home is demolished and new far bigger (but still single family) structure is built.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostThu May 26, 2022 11:14 pm 
or cap the number of Airbnb's

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 26, 2022 11:54 pm 
snoqpass wrote:
Boston has enacted some new rules that are more in keeping with the original spirt of airbnb. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/03/in-boston-airbnb-tasked-with-removing-thousands-of-illegal-listings.html

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri May 27, 2022 12:48 pm 
Quote:
In reality I'm not sure how much Boyne care to invest in solving this problem.
I wonder about that too. If super expensive places like Vail, Aspen and Sun Valley can figure out employee housing, to some degree at least, surely Boyne could at the Summit...if they wanted to. This doesn't seem like a problem that will solve itself and so it's so puzzling to hear their complaints but no action on solutions.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri May 27, 2022 12:54 pm 
Randito wrote:
snoqpass wrote:
Boston has enacted some new rules that are more in keeping with the original spirt of airbnb. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/03/in-boston-airbnb-tasked-with-removing-thousands-of-illegal-listings.html
Those sound great. Seattle really caved to investors and the company when creating their laws. There's no limit on how many units one can own downtown/First Hill/Belltown. The only affordable unit on my block--a duplex that had been a rental for longtime, good tenants whose leases were then not renewed--was purchased by an Airbnb "superhost" investor last year. It was immediately broken in to, which is common with Airbnbs, then they tore up the sidewalk and haven't replaced it. It's been a year with sidewalk closed signs on both ends of the block; they are claiming the adjacent property owner needs to chip in but a city inspector came out and said no, this is your doing and your problem). So, loss of affordable housing, more crime, negative impact to neighbors. Boo.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 10:17 pm 
dixon wrote:
kw wrote:
is there any suitable land Boyne owns that they could use? The whole area is a bit of a mess of land ownership
I tried to buy land up there a few years before the pandemic and there were lots of plats available. In fact, from 2016-2019 there was little demand for land/housing up at the pass outside of wealthy folks with second homes. I didnt end up buying as from talking with contractors, King County was causing headaches for builders. Most sellers had been trying to get plans approved for 2-3 years and eventually gave up due to red tape. Bryce Phillips owner of Evo has since formed a new company and has been buying up and flipping residential land and also just opened the "Firehouse" co-working space with a coffee shop and Evo store with plans to build a spa and more luxury housing similar to those Randito mentioned behind the Commonwealth. There's also a large parking lot at both Hyak and Alpental that could be used for housing but Boyne will likely prioritize parking spaces for paying guests. There's ~16 acres for sale in nearby Easton that could also be an option. In reality I'm not sure how much Boyne care to invest in solving this problem. From reading the Summit 2030 plan they're investing in technology e.g. RFID and automation to reduce reliance on staffing. I hiked Denny Mtn a few weeks back and took a walk around the office building at Alpental and noticed that the entire roof is held up by two adjustable support pins so it appears the building is subsiding? If this is the case they likely have significant upcoming maintenance costs and employee housing is the least of their worries.
The EVO group has 10-12 LLC's buying up land in the I-90 corridor

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 6:13 pm 
Why do they need 10-12 different LLCs? I've been going up to the Pass more these last couple years--it's my protest vote against Vail Resorts and Alterra. I'm curious about all the expensive new houses. Who is buying them? I mean, it's Snoqualmie. The snow is iffy, the hikes are crowded, the interstate is loud and prone to closures, and there's next to nothing in the way of restaurants or other amenities (I know there are a couple). It just seems like for almost 1.8 million, you could do better. Or at least get a house without such a traffic roar. https://www.redfin.com/WA/Snoqualmie-Pass/106-Guye-Peak-Ln-98068/home/104460500

uww

uww
PostThu Feb 16, 2023 12:12 pm 
The multiple LLCs are so that no single entity has too much to lose when they inevitably get sued. I'm sure there are some loopholes and benefits in the tax code to exploit as well.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Feb 16, 2023 3:16 pm 
I've watched the days of actual good or even decent skiing up the dwindle for the last couple decades. I'm surprised there is any serious consideration going into spending piles of money there. "Rain skiing" isn't exactly a destination activity.

If not now, when?
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Feb 16, 2023 3:29 pm 
Thats a great spot to live if you need to physically be in seattle or bellevue every so often but can usually work from home. Sure beats paying a similar ammount for an equivalent home in cap hill just to get stabbed by a homless meth addict's drug needle.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Feb 16, 2023 5:00 pm 
I suspect if a person has $1.8m to spend, they have more choices than either Capitol Hill/getting stabbed or the Pass. I'm just saying for that money, I would not want the constant roar of truck traffic. Or no grocery or basic amenities. Or or or...

uww

uww
PostThu Feb 16, 2023 10:27 pm 
Eeh- not for me but if I was good enough and into it enough to ski Alpental maybe. 20 minutes to North Bend is not bad for supplies etc. Same as my walk to QFC. I doubt the developer cared too much, but I bet if you designed it to be quiet you could achieve it for not too much money. Probably just as bad as a craftsman on an arterial in the city to be honest. On the upside, I’d hope the busy spot would keep the hordes of tweakers away. That would be my concern with that kind of house anywhere around Seattle except the islands.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Feb 16, 2023 10:30 pm 
Ya, the interstate traffic would be annoying, as would ski weekend crowds... but think how awesome it would be on weekdays just to pop out after work and ski with 0 effort.