Forum Index > Trail Talk > SR 20 work this summer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 4:43 pm 
Washington State Department of Transportation Northwest Region – 1019 Andis Road – Burlington, WA 98233 – 360-757-5999 TRAVEL ADVISORY June 8, 2022 Contact: RB McKeon, communications 360-757-5963 Ross Dam Trail Head parking lot to be closed for paving beginning June 8 ROCKPORT – Beginning Wednesday, June 8 contractor crews working on behalf of the Washington State Department of Transportation will close the Ross Dam Trail Head parking lot on State Route 20 in anticipation of paving the week of June 13. All vehicles need to vacate the parking lot by 5 a.m. on June 13, or risk being towed at the owner's expense. The contractor requires full access to the parking lot to expedite the work and allow for it to be reopened as soon as possible. The parking lot is expected to be closed for approximately one week, weather permitting. If the weather is cool and rainy the closure time may be extended. Paving the Ross Dam Trail Head parking lot kicks off the SR 20 Rocky Creek to Granite Creek paving project, between milepost 102 at Rocky Creek in Rockport and Granite Creek at milepost 148, about 45 miles west of Winthrop. This preservation project allows crews to overlay the roadway with an aggregate surface treatment, better known as chip seal, that preserves the life of the existing roadway. This work is expected to take most of the summer to complete and is similarly weather dependent. More information about construction and maintenance on SR 20 happening this summer is available at the SR 20 North Cascades Highway online open house. Real-time traffic information is available on mobile phones with the WSDOT traffic app and by following the WSDOT_north on Twitter.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 5:29 pm 
Oh man. I'm going to be at Ross Lake Resort starting June 19th.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 6:23 pm 
There is also worked planned on the deck/pavement of both of the SR 20 bridges at either end of Winthrop. I’d guess one lane traffic will be provided, but that could slow folks up. No idea of when this starts, yet. Warning signs are already installed, but still covered up.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostThu Jun 09, 2022 1:41 pm 
Doesnt chip n' seal actually damage roads more than if they never bothered in the first place? I never understand why it is used so much

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 09, 2022 3:17 pm 
Matt Lemke wrote:
Doesnt chip n' seal actually damage roads more than if they never bothered in the first place? I never understand why it is used so much
Applying chip seal is a less expensive option compared to full repaving. Whether it is less expensive over a decade I don't know. Chip seal is certainly less pleasant to ride your bike on than smooth asphalt or concrete. The surface is a rougher ride and rolling resistance is significantly higher, but it's better than riding over pothole after pothole.

Cyclopath
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Jun 10, 2022 7:30 am 
Oh man. I'm going to be at Ross Lake Resort starting June 19th. Park at Diablo Dam instead, by the Seattle City Light buildings. Then take the shuttle to the Resort.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jun 12, 2022 12:11 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
Oh man. I'm going to be at Ross Lake Resort starting June 19th. Park at Diablo Dam instead, by the Seattle City Light buildings. Then take the shuttle to the Resort.
FYI they are advising people to park at Happy Creek 1/3 mile down the road.