Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > roadkill
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 7:53 am 
If Your Car Hits a Deer You Might as Well Eat It Article about deer in the Methow. Sorry, probably paywalled, so I'll quote a bit.
Quote:
In 2016, Washington legalized the harvest of road-killed deer and elk carcasses, and what had once been the covert hobby of a few local scofflaws became widespread practice.
Quote:
Roadkill, for many families, provides food security—a free source of organic, high-quality meat perpetually available to communities that share the land with wildlife.
Quote:
Despite the influx of visitors, the Methow’s remoteness still shielded it; as recently as 2016 many stretches of 20 were traveled by only a few thousand cars per day. In 2020, however, COVID-19 produced another traffic surge, as Seattleites fled the city for rural refuges where they could live closer to nature, Zoom into work, and perhaps afford an acre or two. One day that October, the Forest Service tallied 732 cars at a single trailhead.
Quote:
Research suggests that, when daily traffic rates reach around 8.000 vehicles, the wall of cars deters deer from crossing highways; along some massive interstates, herds have ceased migrating altogether. Unable to access their low-elevation winter range, deer and other ungulates have succumbed to mass starvation.
Quote:
After the group Conservation Northwest renovated a bridge at a collision hotspot on Highway 97, just east of the Methow, to provide passage for deer, coyotes, bobcats, and other critters in 2020, roadkill plummeted by 91 percent.
Interesting read if you can find a copy.

Anne Elk, Ski
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catsp

catsp
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 8:21 am 
neek

neek
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 8:40 am 
^ that's the one, thanks. Warning, there are some graphic images.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 9:20 am 
I once attended a wedding reception with roadkill venison as the main dinner course. cool.gif This was on Lopez Island, where there are lots of deer to hit and plenty of folks who are very happy to get the meat. I did learn that most of the time, the meat is not very good. If the deer is hit hard, all the meat is ruined by the impact. There is one paragraph in the article that touches on the quality issues that need to be addressed even when the meat is fresh, but IMO it is underplayed compared to what I was told.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 11:52 am 
If you prefer a more sophisticated composition, here's a delightful version by the Tortolita Gut Pluckers hungry.gif Remember: if it swims, walks, or crawls, you can eat it. up.gif
err..... shouldn't this be in the "Food and Grub" forum? sarbar might not see it here in Stewardship.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 12:18 pm 
A few years back we went to black lake and when we went into Winthop to eat we saw dear everywhere, in people's yards, soccer fields, mostly younger ones and does. Seems I recall at that time they only had a buck hunting season and no doe. That imo is a mistake, the herd obviously needed to be thinned. We camped at the TH on the way out and there were some hunters that had a camp set up. They were off tramping around on the ridges doing the "High Buck" hunt, meanwhile several deer were hanging around their cabin tent...sometimes I wonder about people. dizzy.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 12:41 pm 
Ski wrote:
err..... shouldn't this be in the "Food and Grub" forum? sarbar might not see it here in Stewardship.
I thought about that, but since it's about the Methow, figured it fits this forum as well. I know some might find the subject distasteful, but hey, if you're going to build roads and drive cars at high speeds, you have to accept the consequences, and ideally make the best out of an unfortunate situation.
Chief Joseph wrote:
A few years back we went to black lake and when we went into Winthop to eat we saw dear everywhere, in people's yards, soccer fields, mostly younger ones and does. Seems I recall at that time they only had a buck hunting season and no doe. That imo is a mistake, the herd obviously needed to be thinned. We camped at the TH on the way out and there were some hunters that had a camp set up. They were off tramping around on the ridges doing the "High Buck" hunt, meanwhile several deer were hanging around their cabin tent...sometimes I wonder about people.
I hear ya, but was hoping we could keep hunting chatter on the appropriate thread.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 1:02 pm 
Da Yoopers wrote:
It's the second week of deer camp I got a swollen head I'm lying with the dustballs Underneath the bed An icy breeze is blowing Into the tongue and groove My pants are frozen to the floor And I'm too sick to move I didn't drink so many Just durty (thirty) cans of beer It musta been that last shot That put me under here REFRAIN It's the second week of deer camp And all the guys are here We drink play cards and shoot the bull But never shoot no deer The only time we leave the camp Is when we go for beer The second week of deer camp Is the greatest time of year I remember playing poker That weasel musta won He's wearing my new swampers And sleeping with my gun He's snoring like a chainsaw The camp smells like a dump Someone's dirty underwear Is hanging on the pump Mickey's in the woodbox Weener's on the stove His flannel shirt is smoking (sniff) I wonder if he knows (YEOW!) REFRAIN Beadle's crawling through the door I think he got frostbite He passed out in the outhouse And he's been there since last night Goofus stumbled through the door He says he got a buck He was coming from the wayside And hit it with his truck Musty cracked a beer and said Let's celebrate Goofus caught the first buck Since 1968 REFRAIN fade while repeating refrain source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/d/dayooperslyrics/secondweekofdeercamplyrics.html

Chief Joseph
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 6:39 pm 
I have recently done a bit of experimenting with venison, and found this to work fabulously: Set venison out to "bloom" for a couple hours and come up to room temperature. Rub with a bit of olive oil and some crushed rosemary leaves. (I used fresh, not dried.) A bit of pepper. I did NOT salt it prior to cooking. Place under broiler with oven rack up high. Two minutes MAX per side. Allow to rest a few minutes. Plate and serve. A good Cabernet complements it nicely.
broiled venison with chanterelles, delicata squash, and red kale 12/23/21
broiled venison with chanterelles, delicata squash, and red kale 12/23/21
broiled venison with chanterelles, mango-ginger-huckleberry chutney, roasted parsnip and carrot, and salad 12/20/21
broiled venison with chanterelles, mango-ginger-huckleberry chutney, roasted parsnip and carrot, and salad 12/20/21

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jun 12, 2022 12:20 am 
neek wrote:
I hear ya, but was hoping we could keep hunting chatter on the appropriate thread.
We need a snowflake emoticon. clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 10:17 am 
There was a poor black bear on the side of 90 near preston this morning... sad. Looked like someone was trying to recover it though.

neek

neek
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 10:25 am 
That is sad. I saw a just-hit cougar near there once frown.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 11:51 am 
A lot of critters meet their end on I-90. Weren't they looking at building wildlife "bridges" or something along that line? (Migratory corridors and all that?) Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but over the long term, effecting some remedy - in the form of infrastructure - would probably put a dent in the number of animals killed and perhaps reduce the number of vehicles crunched. Seems like there'd be a payoff there somewhere.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 12:02 pm 
The article on roadkill salvage in the Methow Valley, un-paywalled https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/06/eating-roadkill-salvage-deer-legal/661254/

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 6:06 am 
Love me some fresh road kill!!